Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:18:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Absolutely brilliant Christmas present!  (Read 7846 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: December 25, 2011, 17:00:45 »

While 'her indoors' is not in any way a fan of the local railways, she nevertheless does humour my own interest in the subject.  This year, she gave me yet another very much appreciated Christmas present - a copy of Mike Oakley's 'Somerset Stations, Then ... and Now' from the Dovecote Press (ISBN 978-1-904-34994-5).

An excellent publication - I can heartily recommend it to anyone with an interest in the railways in Somerset.  Mike Oakley has revisited the 180 station and halt sites in Somerset, and his latest book includes many 'then and now' illustrations and a schedule that sets out the current situation at all sites.

Chris.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 18:15:13 »

Chris, you are not alone in receiving a good, rail related book this Christmas.

From my auntie, who isn't really an auntie (it's complicated!) I got a book called "Saving the West Somerset Railway - The Branch Line That Refused To Die" by John Parsons.

That's my bedtime reading sorted for the next few days!

I concur with Chris's sentiments regarding the "Then.... and Now" by Mike Oakley. An excllent publication.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 20:55:22 »

Chris, I'd be really interested to know how 'Somerset Stations, Then ... and Now' compares with David Mitchell's book 'British Railways Past & Present: Somerset' (ISBN 1-85895-088-0) which takes a similar then-and-now approach, with photos on each page taken from exactly the same position decades apart, but suffers badly to my mind from the same malady which ruins almost every other railway book for me, in that it's not so much about the railways as the chuffing engines.

Unfortunately as a student of industrial architecture I'm not that interested in motive power, so seeing 2P 4-4-0 No. 40700 being pulled back to Templecombe by 3F 0-6-0 No. 43436 simply gets in the way of a fascinating view of a long-lost stationmaster's house with interesting gables!

So, to cut to the chase: is 'Somerset Stations, Then ... and Now' actually about stations, as the title suggests, or simply yet another excuse to wax lyrical about locos and rolling stock?

I should add that I've already got Mike Oakley's book on Wiltshire's railways and really like it - hardly an engine in sight! - so that bodes well in itself.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 22:28:40 »

I was lucky enough to be given  "The Banbury and Cheltenham Branch Line" after some not so subtle hinting on my part.

Brings back memories of my childhood living near the line Smiley
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 00:04:46 »

Phil, you will love 'Somerset Stations', as it has hardly an engine in sight! Grin

It does indeed include lots of pictures of the original station buildings, in use on the railways at the time, and in use (often quite different uses!) now - or indeed derelict or demolished. Sad

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 09:20:55 »

Thanks, Chris - I'll add that one to my wants list come next payday then. Having lived near & used stations at Wookey, Wells and Winscombe as a youth (we only moved to Wiltshire because we ran out of places beginning with W...) it'll be fascinating to see places I knew so well.
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 18:55:40 »

I was bought a book too. Beeching: 50 years of the axeman.

It's very good. Cool
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 18:40:51 »

I'd like to claim 'furthest away from the GW (Great Western)' for a small book on the Alnmouth to Alnwick Branch...

I was in Morpeth over Christmas...

Paul

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 19:00:18 »

I also got a copy of Mike Oakley's 'Somerset Stations, Then ... and Now' from the Dovecote Press (ISBN 978-1-904-34994-5).

Very interesting I'd forgotten all about the union problems the WSR had about trains into Taunton. The aftermath of which is still with us today, although they do now have a fully signalled route on and off the mainline.

There were some realy dedicated people who kept the line going despite all the odds.

I'm waiting for UK (United Kingdom) Railtours to run another special to the Beer Festival at Minehead, it's
usually around my birthday.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 23:49:30 »

I also got a copy of Mike Oakley's 'Somerset Stations, Then ... and Now' from the Dovecote Press (ISBN 978-1-904-34994-5).

Very interesting I'd forgotten all about the union problems the WSR had about trains into Taunton. The aftermath of which is still with us today, although they do now have a fully signalled route on and off the mainline.

There were some realy dedicated people who kept the line going despite all the odds.

All of that union palaver is covered in great detail in the book I received also. Saving the West Somerset Railway - The Branch Line That Refused To Die by John Parsons. (ISBN 978-0-7524-6403-9)

Whilst it was the National Union of Railwayman who were, 'blacking' the WSR it wasn't on behalf of their railway worker members but rather their bus driver members. The bus drivers were concerned that if the WSR were to reach Taunton it would affect the jobs of bus drivers working the Taunton-Minehead route. Trying to sort this 'blacking' was a frustrating endeavour for the WSR. They were told by the national executive of the NUR that this was a local branch issue, whilst the local branch of the NUR representing the bus drivers would say that the 'blacking' was a decision that could only be changed by the executive!! Very odd that the NUR were so militant when a few bus drivers jobs may have been affected, but oddly silent a few years earlier when many of their members were made redundant following BR (British Rail(ways))'s closure of the Taunton-Minehead branch.

Even after the WSR gave up on their ambition to run commuter services to/from Taunton, the NUR still continued to block any mutually beneficial cooperation that their members may've given to the WSR. This included the refusal to allow rolling stock to arrive by rail to the WSR, despite there being a rail link to the national network. Having to have all their stock arrive by road was a heavy drain on WSR. Also blocked were any potential freight movements, despite these being likely to provide work for NUR members! Also, whenever the Western National Bus Co. were approached to provide bus services in conjunction with special occasions and Galas on the WSR the militant bus drivers refused to do the work. In the early years of the WSR a bus link between Taunton Station and Williton and later, when the WSR was extended, Bishop's Lydeard, was provided by private operators.

It wasn't just the NUR that the WSR had problems with. Parish, Town, District and County Councils were all at one time or another hostile toward the WSR. Even Somerset County Council, despite purchasing the line in 1971 as part of a transport policy, were later very ambivalent toward their tenant.

The first 10 years of the WSR from 1976-86 were tough times, and it is testament to the dedication of staff, volunteers, shareholders and board members that the line survived and now thrives. During the dark days of the early 1980s the WSR came very close to going out of business thanks in no small part to the local branch of the NUR and it's militant bus drivers, as well as indifferent and fickle local politicians.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 08:58:50 »

Sorry bignosemac I meant to copy your book details.

All of that union palaver is covered in great detail in the book I received also. Saving the West Somerset Railway - The Branch Line That Refused To Die by John Parsons. (ISBN 978-0-7524-6403-9)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 18:46:55 »

From the Wells Journal:

Look at history of railway stations

Cheddar Valley Railway Walk Society is holding its annual meeting, including a talk and presentation on Thursday, February 23, at 7.30pm, at the Woodborough Inn, Winscombe.

The Strawberry Line Cyclepath is an increasingly popular amenity in North Somerset and also forms part of National Cycle Route 26 ^ Clevedon to Weymouth.

The society and its branches will report on what has been happening during the year on the established route and efforts to extend to Wells and beyond.

Mike Oakley will then give a presentation based around his new book Somerset Stations Then And Now which tells, in archive and current photographs, the tale of our stations and what has happened to them since closure.

This talk will interest railway enthusiasts and anyone with an interest in local history.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: