Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:23:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Class 150 Reading to Basingstoke  (Read 22475 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 15:19:54 »

FGW (First Great Western) didn't explicitly announce that they were new:

"Two three-car Class 150 trains - six carriages - will also be leased and refreshed to operate weekday
commuter services between Reading and Basingstoke, increasing peak capacity by around 13 per cent."

There is cover in case of failure, they would bring a 165 off the depot.  With the best will in the world, unless the failure is at the Reading end, and a driver is sitting in the cab of a spare unit waiting to go, it is almost certainly going to cause a gap in the frequency at Basingstoke - just like it would if a 165 failed...

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 18:33:48 »

It seems to take an inordinate amount of time for the door light to illuminate when stopping at stations and then again to get moving again.

It will do compared with a Turbo where drivers operate the doors.  Though that sort of delay is commonplace throughout the country on stock where a similar door procedure takes place (i.e. non DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) services).  For example, on the Reading to Waterloo line.  I think the punctuality (and reliability) issues will bed down and improve over the coming months though - after all these are different types of train operationally to a Turbo and it will take staff a little while to get used to them.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 23:29:30 »

What the First Great Western press release actually said was:

EXTRA CAPACITY ON READING TO BASINGSTOKE ROUTE

Two class 150 trains have gone into service on the weekday commuter route between Reading and Basingstoke, increasing overall seating capacity on the line by 22%.

Last November First Great Western announced they were successful in securing and investing in 48 additional carriages to come into service across our network between February and September 2012.

For Basingstoke commuters, we obtained two three-car Class 150 trains - six carriages -  which were previously in operation for London Midland.  The units were refreshed at our Reading depot with staff working as quickly as possible to bring them into use.

One of the units began working the 10:07 and 15:07 Reading-Basingstoke from Jan 30, and the other 150 officially went into service on March 2.

The extra capacity has been hailed by commuters and disabled travel campaigners.   

Basingstoke MP (Member of Parliament) Maria Miller said:

^It is good news for passengers on this route that there is now more seating available, which will be particularly welcomed by commuters travelling at peak times

^I was also pleased to hear that the new trains are more accessible for disabled people too, with each train carrying its own ramp, and more space available on board for wheelchair users. It is really important for disabled people to be able to get around, and I applaud First Great Western on giving this the priority it deserves.^

First Great Western General Manager Claire Mann said:

"These trains are an important part of our commitment to reduce crowding on our services in the London and Thames Valley area, and will improve capacity for commuters between Basingstoke and Reading by some 22 per cent.

"Over the past six weeks our staff have given their all to get these trains into fantastic shape for our customers, and from the comments I've had today, I know they're already noticing a real difference."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 12:56:33 »

But my quote was from the original press release about the trains in November, you must be quoting from a later announcement, which doesn't seem to be easily found on FGW (First Great Western)'s website.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/~/media/PDF/Press%20Releases/HLOS%20-%20General%20and%20for%20website.pdf

In any case, we all use the word 'new' in different ways - for instance when buying second hand stuff like houses or cars.  The attempted point scoring sometimes seen about the word new is a bit silly really.  If all the announcements only used the word 'additional' they'd seem very repetitive...

Paul
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 20:38:31 »

Sorry for any misunderstanding, Paul - I wasn't contradicting you at all.

The point I was trying to make was that the only use of the word 'new', in connection with these additional trains, in that press release was made by the local MP (Member of Parliament):

Basingstoke MP Maria Miller said: ^I was also pleased to hear that the new trains are more accessible for disabled people too ... "

Hence the rather tetchy letter to the Basingstoke Gazette, which I had quoted previously.

Hope this clarifies the point.  Smiley

Chris.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 08:49:31 »

Slightly off topic, But I did spot a 3 car 150 at the junction for SPM (St Philip's Marsh (Bristol depot)) on Tuesday Smiley

Grin Grin Grin Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 09:50:54 »

Slightly off topic, But I did spot a 3 car 150 at the junction for SPM (St Philip's Marsh (Bristol depot)) on Tuesday Smiley

I think there are four of them about - the two on the Basingstoke run, and two more based at Bristol which are 1501xx units with an extra centre car of the 1502xx types .  Due to accidents, there are two 1502xx cars that can't be coupled to form a train (lack of loo or wheelchair space, I think) so they have made up 3 car units.   I was on one on the Sunday evening TransWilts train the other week.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 18:38:51 »

Yes.  There are 4 of them.  150001 and 150002 working Reading to Basigstoke and 150121 and 150127 augmented to 3 Cars with spare odd carriages.   They are employed in the Bristol area.
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2012, 12:49:11 »

150001 and 150002 working Reading to Basingstoke

Is 150002 sick ? It had been disappearing a lot intra-day for months but a 165 seems to have been running this route along with 150001 for quite some days now.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2012, 14:11:20 »

Only one of the 150s is booked to be out all day now. The other one has a couple of hours off in the middle of the day. Usually 150001 works all day with 150002 having the daytime rest, and everybody says how 150002 is the more unreliable of the two.
bobbyorson

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2012, 17:03:47 »

Only one 150 in traffic while CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) is fitted to 150001
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: