I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:55 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 00:06:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cutting less used stops in the new franchise?  (Read 19440 times)
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 13:29:29 »

Some excellent points and interesting analyses Grahame.

Taking point e nearby statons. This can often be played out as rivalry even if served by same TOC (Train Operating Company). Take Taplow and Bourne End they can be seen as rivals particularly by the branch as Taplow has a more frequent (halfhourly as opposed to hourly) shorter journey times, you're already on the Mainline no change at Maidenhead (off peak), cheaper fares. They are 6.2 miles apart by rail and 4.9 by road. We have lots of free parking admittedly on the road. The only disadvantage is we don't have Sunday service.

High Wycombe and Beconsfield are also rivals to Bourne End but that's good because it's competition FGW (First Great Western) versus Chiltern see other posts on this board.

Re Coombe Halt one of the problems is that it is 10 chains or 220 yards beyond the junction so a train has to do an extra 1/4 mile to serve it. I wonder if there is case for experimenting with making it an automated request stop. i was thinking CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) and a phone to Lisguard box (Thames Valley Control centre later) plus a light signal at the junction to indicate if the train is to stop.

Re service patterns I am wondering if in places like Cornwall there should be a DB» (Deutsche Bahn - German State Railway - about) type pattern of service IC (Inter City) Inter City, Regional Express RB Regional Bus (All stations) This would probably mean more trains overall but giving say larger stations like Truo at least 2 tph each direction, lesser stations Bomin Road 1 tph and smaller stations one train every two hours. ICs would be through to Padd, Some REs (Religious Education) and RBs could start from say Falmouth or Newquay. The RE's would end at Bristol perhaps being overtaken at Truro, Plymouth, Newton Abbot, Exeter, Taunton and/or Weston super Mare.  RBs terminate at Plymouth or Exeter. The whole servcie intergrated with ICs and RBs starting from Paignton. Don't see much point in REs from Torquay as apart from Torre there aren't any stations to be left out. The RB could connect into the Cornwall Bristol RE at Newton Abbot. The trouble is most of the overtaking staions would require additional to to allow overtaking and possibly cross platform interchange.

Also think it could work for Melksham if Bradford North curve was reopened then the Bristol London RE would go via Bradford on Avon and Melksham, leaving the mainline clear for the ICs to miss Chippenham on some journeys.

It would as I say also require more trains perhaps slightly less intensively used than current stock at present . But that should improve reliability but will greately upset the "Bean Counters" who think stock should be turning a wheel 25 hours a day.

Tehre is a form of this service in teh thames Vally where off peak it is often possible to change at Slough or Reading from or to teh Fast Oxfors from or to an intermediate station. Thus i take the Fast Oxford to Slough and change for Taplow. You could also do this for Hayes Reading changing into the fast Oxford at Slough.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: