Delayed
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 23, 2024, 15:29:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[367] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[70] "Mayflower"
[54] You see all sorts on the bus.
[38] Where have I been?
[34] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[32] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Programme (IEP) - ongoing discussion  (Read 745599 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: July 19, 2017, 13:37:25 »

I must admit to never having heard the term 'steerage' used for rail fares, only as an old shipping phrase.  Was it ever used as an official ticket class by any of the operators?

AFAIK (as far as I know) it was never an official railway term, but has come into slang or informal use relatively recently, generally used by those who feel that "standard class" sounds too good to accurately describe what is actually provided.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: July 19, 2017, 14:03:12 »

AFAIK (as far as I know) it was never an official railway term, but has come into slang or informal use relatively recently, generally used by those who feel that "standard class" sounds too good to accurately describe what is actually provided.
I expect though, that we'd almost never see the word steerage if you were to stop using it...

Paul

John R

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: July 19, 2017, 14:11:40 »

As someone who has in recent years predominately travelled first class, I would avoid the use of steerage to describe standard class, as I feel it could be construed as rather condescending to those who travel standard, (particularly given the type of passenger that would have travelled steerage on the steamships of old).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: July 20, 2017, 10:20:01 »

Testing commenced on the Cotswold Line last night, slightly curtailed on what was planned, but two IET (Intercity Express Train) sets reached Worcester for the first time.  Another run scheduled for tonight.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #994 on: July 20, 2017, 10:23:25 »

The IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) was a 10 car set 800006 & 800005
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: July 20, 2017, 11:42:54 »

Testing commenced on the Cotswold Line last night, slightly curtailed on what was planned, but two IET (Intercity Express Train) sets reached Worcester for the first time.  Another run scheduled for tonight.

Is this tonight's test train http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K00418/2017/07/20/advanced ? If it is, then also going to Reading, Newbury and Westbury, and then back to Bristol.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: July 20, 2017, 12:07:58 »

Yes, that's the one.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: July 20, 2017, 14:39:59 »

I note that the “Introducing the New Trains” section on the GWR (Great Western Railway) website no longer includes any claims about improved journey times as a benefit of the new IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)’s.  As has been said previously by several of us, GWR will be struggling to get a similar positive reaction to IEP’s replacing HST (High Speed Train)’s as it is doing with 387’s replacing Turbos.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #998 on: July 20, 2017, 14:45:13 »

If everyone gets a seat out of Paddington regularly they *might*.....
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: July 20, 2017, 14:50:04 »

With todays announcement that most planned electrification is cancelled, and with passenger numbers still growing rapidly, perhaps the time has come to lengthen some of the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) ?

Adding an extra powered vehicle to a 9 car set would provide significant extra passenger capacity and also slightly improve performance since the HP per tonne would be slightly increased.

A more radical proposal would be to lengthen some of the 5 car units to 9 or 10 car, increasing the percentage of powered vehicles would improve performance and the extra capacity would be most welcome.

A perhaps TOO radical proposal would be to build extra vehicles that contain no engine but instead have a battery and traction motors with a similar power output. The battery would supply peak power for acceleration and ascending inclines and would be idled when this power was not needed. The battery would be charged from the other engines when coasting, moving slowly or stopped.

Note that none of these proposals involve any modifications to vehicles already built or ordered, they would be additional.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1000 on: July 20, 2017, 15:02:56 »

Adding an extra powered vehicle to a 9 car set

Diesel or electric or bi-mode?
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: July 20, 2017, 20:23:02 »

With todays announcement that most planned electrification is cancelled, and with passenger numbers still growing rapidly, perhaps the time has come to lengthen some of the IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) ?

SNIPPED!

I understood that the latest figures showed a slight decrease in rail travel in London and the south east. Not all of this is attributable to TSGN's problems.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1002 on: July 20, 2017, 20:55:45 »

TSGNs?!
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1003 on: July 20, 2017, 22:00:01 »

TSGNs?!
Took me a few seconds to decode, but I think that was meant to be Thameslink, Southern, Great Northern (TSGN) who obviously have been having trouble due to trying (along with the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)???) to enforce driver-only operation which has caused many canceled trains and hence caused passenger numbers to fall in south east England.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: July 20, 2017, 23:17:13 »

Todays announcement comes just days after HMG announced the go ahead of HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) then why not cancel HS2 and invest the money in completing the previously committed electrification projects. I am no economist but it does not make sense to me to go ahead with HS2 and HAVING to borrow the whole cost of that project thus lumbering our children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, great-great-grandchildren et al with having to repay the loans and interest thereon for this vanity project. Will we see all the bridges constructed, embankments built, cuttings gouged out, tunnels bored, electrification masts erected and OHLE wires installed only to be informed by HMG in, what 2022, that the project is so expensive that the trackbed will not be ballasted and thus no sleepers will be laid without which the rails that the HS2 trains will run on will cease to exist and thus the project will be converted into a HIGH SPEED INTER CITY METROBUST road.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: