Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:54:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Programme (IEP) - ongoing discussion  (Read 743747 times)
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 23:01:03 »

Looks like contract for IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) wont be signed til at least the end of July.

Also from WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) tonight is that the for the new GW (Great Western) franchise holder has been delayed til Jan/Feb2013.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 21:45:27 »

Also from WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) tonight is that the for the new GW (Great Western) franchise holder has been delayed til Jan/Feb2013.

Sorry, anthony215: I don't quite follow that?  Undecided

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 22:30:31 »

Sorry, anthony215: I don't quite follow that?  Undecided

A post on WNXX  stating that the contract was supposed to be signed in July with the design freeze on IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) in December 2012.

Another post stating that the holder of the GW franchise was supposed to be annouced in Decmber 2012 but has been pushed back to Jan/Feb 2013 (Howver I thought the annoucement was always around March 2013 anyway?) with the  new operator taking over in July 2013 rather than April 2013 because of the easter blockade of Reading.
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 11:13:41 »

I thought the contract was extended slightly until the end of April 2013, because of the Easter blockade?

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 16:13:22 »

I thought the contract was extended slightly until the end of April 2013, because of the Easter blockade?

That is what I had thought however it seems other people including some who are normaly correct have said it has been pushed back to July 2013 so i am trying to get a firm answer.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 10:55:19 »

That is what I had thought however it seems other people including some who are normaly correct have said it has been pushed back to July 2013 so i am trying to get a firm answer.
Date quoted for GW (Great Western) franchise implementation is now 21-07-2013. Design freeze for IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) now quoted as being around December 2012. One would hope that they are going to get some kind of dimensionally correct 'Mock up' of the interior on display at some point before that for passengers and user groups to try for size and pass comment on. Remember folks that this is the future of long distance travel on the GW.

From the same normally very accurate source over at wnxxforum.com;

2.17 Negotiation and Award
Following bid evaluation and clarification, the Department reserves the right to negotiate
with one, some, or all Bidders.
Historically, even though the Department is likely to have decided after its evaluation and
clarification process that one or two bidders are in a leading position, no indication of this
is provided to bidders, nor any public announcement made until actual contract award and
signature.
On the GW competition, because of the interaction with IEP, the Department reserves the
right to indicate to a bidder(s) that its bid is not considered to be a leading bid and that it
need not engage with the IEP design process any further.
Because such a decision is almost certain to become known anyway, the Department may
well decide to make a short formal announcement in this respect. So doing will not in any
way prevent the Department from re-engaging with that Bidder should the Department
subsequently find it is unable to contract with the two (or more) bidders that were originally
considered to be lead bidders.

Trundling gently round the SW
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 12:47:09 »

Date quoted for GW (Great Western) franchise implementation is now 21-07-2013. Design freeze for IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) now quoted as being around December 2012. One would hope that they are going to get some kind of dimensionally correct 'Mock up' of the interior on display at some point before that for passengers and user groups to try for size and pass comment on. Remember folks that this is the future of long distance travel on the GW.

From the same normally very accurate source over at wnxxforum.com;

2.17 Negotiation and Award
Following bid evaluation and clarification, the Department reserves the right to negotiate
with one, some, or all Bidders.
Historically, even though the Department is likely to have decided after its evaluation and
clarification process that one or two bidders are in a leading position, no indication of this
is provided to bidders, nor any public announcement made until actual contract award and
signature.
On the GW competition, because of the interaction with IEP, the Department reserves the
right to indicate to a bidder(s) that its bid is not considered to be a leading bid and that it
need not engage with the IEP design process any further.
Because such a decision is almost certain to become known anyway, the Department may
well decide to make a short formal announcement in this respect. So doing will not in any
way prevent the Department from re-engaging with that Bidder should the Department
subsequently find it is unable to contract with the two (or more) bidders that were originally
considered to be lead bidders.

I very much look forward to seing the mock up hitachi come up with if they do decide to build one.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 08:42:19 »

I very much look forward to seing the mock up hitachi come up with if they do decide to build one.
I suspect you have more chance of knitting fog. DfT» (Department for Transport - about) appear to be presenting IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) to the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s as a fait accompli, with that in mind I very much doubt the end users of the rail service, the passengers will get any input into the interior layout etc.

Just think Voyager with a higher floor, a longer whippier wobbly body and an even larger gin palace engine under the coach. You won't be far out...
 Angry

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 16:44:06 »

Just think Voyager with a higher floor, a longer whippier wobbly body and an even larger gin palace engine under the coach. You won't be far out...
 Angry
I'm just enjoying traveling on 125s whilst we still have them. As pointed out by Roger Ford on Twitter earlier, 40 years ago this month the first prototype HST (High Speed Train) rolled out and it's still going strong. On the ECML (East Coast Main Line) their failure rate is lower than the class 91s that replaced most of them back in the early 90s. Says it all really.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 20:28:25 »

I suspect you have more chance of knitting fog. DfT» (Department for Transport - about) appear to be presenting IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) to the TOC (Train Operating Company)'s as a fait accompli, with that in mind I very much doubt the end users of the rail service, the passengers will get any input into the interior layout etc.

Angry

And the seats just slightly closer together, and slightly fewer tables, and no catering, except perhaps a trolley on selected services.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 16:25:03 »

I'm just imagining the posts that would have been made on this (and other) forums if the internet was around in the early to mid 70's (yes TJ, I know about ARPANET before you pipe up  Wink)

There would have been posts decrying the introduction of these new fangled HSDTs (Original name for High Speed Train) on the 'Western' and rose tinted descriptions of how great the then current rolling stock and locomotives were. Heck, I'd've probably joined in by saying I was sad to see the Diesel Hydraulics going off to the knackers yard.

Embrace the future I say. Look forward to the new. I am.  Cheesy

That's said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) isn't Voyager MK2!

Ancient Chinese curse it says "May you live in interesting times."  Wink Tongue Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 21:20:50 »

Amazing how Easter can catch so many people by surprise, despite 2,000 years' notice.

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2012, 10:29:10 »

I'm just imagining the posts that would have been made on this (and other) forums if the internet was around in the early to mid 70's (yes TJ, I know about ARPANET before you pipe up  Wink)

There would have been posts decrying the introduction of these new fangled HSDTs (Original name for High Speed Train) on the 'Western' and rose tinted descriptions of how great the then current rolling stock and locomotives were. Heck, I'd've probably joined in by saying I was sad to see the Diesel Hydraulics going off to the knackers yard.

That's said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) isn't Voyager MK2!

Ancient Chinese curse it says "May you live in interesting times."  Wink Tongue Grin

I remember the old (pre HST (High Speed Train)) trains on the Western, and elswhere.
The old trains were normally longer, and had more legroom, more tables, more luggage space, and opening windows.
The HSTs were a backward step in regard to train length and seat spacing, but some considered this a worthwhile trade off in view of the substantialy reduced journy times. The introduction of A/C was a decided advantage in hot weather.

The fact that HSTs are now widely regarded as among the best trains on the network, shows just how far standards and expectations have fallen.

A year or two ago , a locomotive hauled train of (I think MK2 coaches) ran regularly from Taunton
Many passengers believed that this was "all first class" or looked in vain for steerage. Being presumably used to modern DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit), they could not believe that the large and well spaced seats, every seat at a table, could be steerage class !
No doubt they enjoy the modern DMUs now used in that service.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2012, 10:48:11 »

Two nods to modern rolling stock design:

1)  The 180s.  I'd forgotten just how much leg room you get in standard class.  For my money the right combination of tables and airline seats for a long distance train and all seats having a good view out of the window.  Though in many ways a lovely carriage, Mk2 (Mark 2 coach)'s with nothing but table seats were not so good when you wanted to have a little privacy and not play footsy with the person opposite.  Oh, and I hate fixed armrests!

2)  Class 172s.  I took a trip on one of the new Class 172s of London Midland a couple of months back.  Excellent leg room and 2+2 seating on what is a brand new suburban train, though train lengths have had to be extended and on some trains could do with being extended more (but not operationally possible due to platform lengths at present).  There are now complaints from commuters that there aren't enough seats in the peak hours - despite there being more carriages on many services.  Proves that sometimes you just can't win!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2012, 12:20:09 »

Your going to be bitterly dissapointed then. Wink

Anyone who thinks a new underfloor engined Intercity style cart is going to be an improvement on HST (High Speed Train) wants their bumps felt. Its all about bums on seats and I doubt DfT» (Department for Transport - about) are that concerned about the comfort of those bums that are seated.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: