Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:17:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Programme (IEP) - ongoing discussion  (Read 743737 times)
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 12:23:41 »

Two nods to modern rolling stock design:

1)  The 180s.  I'd forgotten just how much leg room you get in standard class.  For my money the right combination of tables and airline seats for a long distance train and all seats having a good view out of the window.  Though in many ways a lovely carriage, Mk2 (Mark 2 coach)'s with nothing but table seats were not so good when you wanted to have a little privacy and not play footsy with the person opposite.  Oh, and I hate fixed armrests!

The 180's were the best of a bad bunch (above the underframe and between the cabs anyway) and far superior to the 22x.

IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) would appear to be the long wheelbase lovechild of a class 395 and a class 221 and I'd be very surprised if thats exactly what you end up with. Same width as the Voyager / 158 / 153 apparently.

Trundling gently round the SW
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2012, 00:26:22 »

A year or two ago , a locomotive hauled train of (I think MK2 coaches) ran regularly from Taunton
Many passengers believed that this was "all first class" or looked in vain for steerage. Being presumably used to modern DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit), they could not believe that the large and well spaced seats, every seat at a table, could be steerage class !
No doubt they enjoy the modern DMUs now used in that service.

Ah, the Orient Express! It worked cardiff to Taunton, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly). I caught it to Weston from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) many times. It was smoother, quieter, and more comfortable than the regular DMUs, and I didn't know it had been taken away.

I caught a similar train from Blackpool to Manchester some few years back, that did have a first class carriage, although the train was shown as standard class only in the timetable. So I sat in it with my mate, the only two in the whole carriage, with no problem. The conductor didn't mind. Standard class was standing room only, and not much of that either. You have to think these things through, sometimes.

Now, please!
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2012, 13:28:13 »

IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) appears to be an inevitability now. From a normally impeccable source on WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes);

It's official, Thanks to Uncle Roger for the information.

IEP has won the HST (High Speed Train) replacement contract.

Make up of the order to be confirmed. Following so-called standstill period to be signed 20th July.

Some positive murmurings about OHLE to Swansea though.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 18:59:11 »

IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) appears to be an inevitability now. From a normally impeccable source on WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes);

It's official, Thanks to Uncle Roger for the information.

IEP has won the HST (High Speed Train) replacement contract.

Make up of the order to be confirmed. Following so-called standstill period to be signed 20th July.

Some positive murmurings about OHLE to Swansea though.

Er, rejoice?

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 22:24:01 »

Not a cause for regoicing at all in my view.
Mainline services to be downgraded to DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit), even if these can also use electric power.
I stand by my earlier remarks about the likleyhood of bus style seating layout, reduced legroom, minimal catering, and shorter trains.
Voyager mark 2 Cry

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2012, 11:14:43 »

Not a cause for regoicing at all in my view.
Mainline services to be downgraded to DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit), even if these can also use electric power.
I stand by my earlier remarks about the likleyhood of bus style seating layout, reduced legroom, minimal catering, and shorter trains.
Voyager mark 2 Cry
It has been decided that the Western has had it too good for far too long. All these splendid comfortable HST (High Speed Train)'s roaring round in profusion while other passengers have to make do with truck engines on steroids roaring away under narrow cramped saloons. Now it is our turn to have standards reduced / dumbed down to the levels of the rest of the post 1996 replacement Intercity train fleets I'm afraid.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2012, 19:39:27 »

Not rejoice, then.  Sad

Now, please!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2012, 11:39:30 »

Roger Ford tweeted this, this morning....

Unless someone has protested, the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) contact has been awarded. Suspect that DfT» (Department for Transport - about) may save the announcement for the GW (Great Western) franchise ITT (Invitation to Tender) launch
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2012, 10:08:15 »

Just been released today!

http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/press-releases/dft-press-20120725a/

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
homsar

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2012, 10:09:49 »

Looks like it's going ahead then
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 11:06:38 by homsar » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2012, 10:10:55 »

and no compromise on leg-room

That bit should please 'Broadgauge'!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2012, 10:22:34 »

It's interesting to note that noises from Govt. regarding HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) have recently gone decidedly quiet. The cynic in me sees the Govt. saying, 'look what we're doing for the existing rail network'.

No mention whatsoever for HS2 in Network Rail's next Control Period......

I do agree it's gone a little quiet regarding HS2, but that might partly be due to the huge amount of work sitting in the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)'s inbox.  HS2 is not a Network Rail scheme, yet, so they will not be making references to it, though the HLOS (High Level Output Specification) released last week makes two references (at least) to HS2:

'The strategic intent is to develop the network in a way that will enable it to shoulder demand until High Speed Two (HS2) becomes operational, but is then able quickly to adapt and integrate around the high capacity HS2 corridor.'

'The Secretary of State wishes the industry to prepare for the future and, to this end, is providing ^140 million over CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) to fund innovation and the development of potential enhancement schemes for CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024) (2019/20 to 2013/24) including all necessary work on development of the linkage of High Speed Two with the existing rail network.'

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2012, 10:47:44 »

Can't see why anyone ever thought it wouldn't go ahead. 

Lots of hot air in rail forums was never going to stop the DfT» (Department for Transport - about).

(Fixed your link by the way...)

The DfT official announcement is here:  http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/press-releases/dft-press-20120725a/

Paul
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2012, 10:53:27 »

Apart from the interfaces with the exisiting network, HS2 (The next High Speed line(s))'s core route may well remain in separate ownership to NR» (Network Rail - home page) anyway, like HS1 (High Speed line 1 - St Pancras to Channel Tunnel) - (notwithstanding NR have the maintenance contract).

As you say the main project isn't HLOS (High Level Output Specification) subject matter - that's why there is a separate HS2 company, again like set up for CTRL1/2 (later HS1), and HS2 has a separate funding line outside NR...

Pointing out its absence from the HLOS as a poosible sign it is being sidelined is clutching at straws, I think.

Paul

« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:32:43 by paul7755 » Logged
homsar

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2012, 11:08:15 »

Can't see why anyone ever thought it wouldn't go ahead. 

Lots of hot air in rail forums was never going to stop the DfT» (Department for Transport - about).

(Fixed your link by the way...)

The DfT official announcement is here:  http://www.dft.gov.uk/news/press-releases/dft-press-20120725a/

Paul

Thanks, I fixed the fixing of my link. (Why can't forum software agree on whether url tags need quotes or not?)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: