Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 08:13:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Programme (IEP) - ongoing discussion  (Read 743821 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2012, 12:29:31 »

Regarding post 162, and the possible problems in accessing such a large underfloor engine for maintenance, perhaps the intention is to remove the complete engine/alternator/cooler group even for relatively minor attention ?

As the transmission is electric, not mechanical, complete removal might be relatively easy as cables are much easier to dissconect than mechanical drive units.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 20, 2012, 12:42:51 »

I presume that movements at low speed within depots would also be under diesel power, thereby saving the costs and hazards of electrification in depots.

This quote from a communiqu^ by the Green Party suggests that indoor movements will not be under elecric power:

However, we believe that residents concerns are mostly unfounded. Considering noise: To quote Monday's report in the Evening Post, "...train mechanics will have laptops not wrenches ," and maintenance will be indoors in soundproofed buildings. Train movements outside the depot will be electrically-powered, so there will not be the noise of engines. The existing earth mound between the site, the South Wales Main Line, and adjacent houses provides a natural sound barrier, and could be planted with trees. One would imagine that the current background noise levels from near-by roads (Hatchet Road, the ring road, the M4 & M5), and the planes that use Filton Airfield night & day, will be considerably higher than any noise from the proposed depot. Local residents will also be used to overnight rail freight passing by their homes on the South Wales main line, which have done so for over a century.

I would trust it but for at least one glaring factual error: Filton airport has not had night flying since Royal Mail moved back to Lulsgate, after their temporary use of Filton during the ill-starred resurfacing and grooving of the runway, in the winter of 2006-7. Filton has been closed weekends for the last three years, to try to make sure it loses enough money to justify closing it, apart from occasional weeked fly-ins, such as happened Saturday 15 September. See here for video of a two-seater aircraft passing Parkway on the way in. Other railway-related highlights to be seen include the site of the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) depot, and at about 2m10s, one can see to the left the level crossing over taxiway Foxtrot.

Regular use of the diesel for movement within depots would ensure that the machinery is kept in good working order and does not fall into disuse.
Spot on - exactly what is anticipated. Wouldn't there still need to be one powered line at least, for testing? I know nothing - over to the experts!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 12:48:55 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2012, 18:03:07 »

Regarding post 162, and the possible problems in accessing such a large underfloor engine for maintenance, perhaps the intention is to remove the complete engine/alternator/cooler group even for relatively minor attention ?

As the transmission is electric, not mechanical, complete removal might be relatively easy as cables are much easier to dissconect than mechanical drive units.

Possibly but that will mean that minor faults will incur even greater downtime penalties while the Engine-alternator set is drained, disconnected, removed from the vehicle and attended to.

While noting the comments about disconnection it should be noted that the traction output cables carry huge amperages and voltages and will not be as easy to disconnect / reconnect as some people think, with the possibility of rapid heating and fires if the connections are not remade securely.

I assume the MTU (Motor Traction Unit) engine will be a 'dry sump' unit with a seperate oil tank, de-areator and scavenge pump in order to reduce the overall height and increase the clearance beneath the lowest part of the engine.

Trundling gently round the SW
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2012, 18:09:58 »

The International Railway Journal also states "The first train for Great Western will be completed in June 2014, and test operation on the British network is due to begin in May 2015.

Crickey, not long then!
The beginning of the end (of quiet comfortable coaches) is indeed in sight.

Trundling gently round the SW
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 20, 2012, 18:39:01 »

I assume the MTU (Motor Traction Unit) engine will be a 'dry sump' unit with a seperate oil tank, de-areator and scavenge pump in order to reduce the overall height and increase the clearance beneath the lowest part of the engine.

There's a little more detail, all above my head, and a picture, for what it's worth, here To my inexpert eye, it appears shiny.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 18:00:42 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 01, 2012, 17:46:48 »

I suppose it'll be as noisy as an Adelante or Voyager and with the same inadequate space in the overhead racks.
FremlinsMan

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 07, 2013, 21:10:11 »

There's an IET (Intercity Express Train) talk about the Hitachi Super Express Train at Swindon Steam Museum next Tuesday 11th - places are limited, registration is at https://localevents.theiet.org/register.php?event=4642fe

Details at
http://www.theiet.org/events/local/168517.cfm

===

About this event
The Hitachi Super Express Train is the new generation of high speed trains that will operate on the Great Western Main Line and other inter-city routes in Britain.  This talk will cover an introduction to Hitachi and to this major project with an overview of the train^s design, manufacturer, operation, maintenance and servicing.
Speaker
Alistair Dormer, Chief Executive Officer, Agility Trains (Hitachi)
Programme

18:30  Light refreshment
19:00  Lecture starts
20:30  Close

Joint Event with the IMechE Railway Group

===
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 07, 2013, 22:19:43 »

Thank you for that heads up FremlinsMan.

I think though it is very short notice for most, if not all, of us.

Just the sort of event I'd like to attend if I'd had more notice.

However, if you, FremlinsMan, or other Coffee Shop members, do attend, then please do report back here.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 07, 2013, 23:02:36 »

I've put my name down, so will give a report in due course. And thank you FremlinsMan too.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 08, 2013, 07:35:58 »

While we are on the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) topic, I have noticed over the last few months that 7 bells of whatsit is being knocked out of North Pole Depot this must be development works for IEP?

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
FremlinsMan

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2013, 08:12:30 »

However, if you, FremlinsMan, or other Coffee Shop members, do attend, then please do report back here.

I can't make it, so I'd also like to hear a report back. I assume IET (Intercity Express Train) members get a few week's notice of such events, but I only got the e-mail about this yesterday around 3:00.

DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2013, 10:35:49 »

I can't make it, so I'd also like to hear a report back. I assume IET (Intercity Express Train) members get a few week's notice of such events, but I only got the e-mail about this yesterday around 3:00.

Thanks for the heads up FremlinsMan.  It's local to me so I've registered. Happy to report back.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 08, 2013, 12:46:30 »

While we are on the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) topic, I have noticed over the last few months that 7 bells of whatsit is being knocked out of North Pole Depot this must be development works for IEP?
Yes I noticed that last Wednesday.  I think the building being demolished is the old bogie inspection shop.  Noticed a lot of track had been lifted on the sidings adjacent to the main maintenance building as well and some of the signalling has gone (I tested and commissioned that way back in 1992 - crikey was it really that long ago Shocked Tongue).

From a draft signalling plan I have seen there will be two separate and diverse connections off the GWML (Great Western Main Line) at the Ladbroke Grove end and these pass through the site of the current North Pole Depot sidings at that end hence the need to demolish the building mentioned above.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:56:42 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 08, 2013, 17:59:21 »

Yes I noticed that last Wednesday.  I think the building being demolished is the old bogie inspection shop.  Noticed a lot of track had been lifted on the sidings adjacent to the main maintenance building as well and some of the signalling has gone (I tested and commissioned that way back in 1992 - crikey was it really that long ago Shocked Tongue).

From a draft signalling plan I have seen there will be two separate and diverse connections off the GWML (Great Western Main Line) at the Ladbroke Grove end and these pass through the site of the current North Pole Depot sidings at that end hence the need to demolish the building mentioned above.

Yes I guessed there would be an East facing connection onto the GWML.  The building being raised to the ground was the stores building, the wheel lathe is the building nearer Barlby Road. 

I am attending the IET (Intercity Express Train) event at Swindon be MIET

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 08, 2013, 22:38:46 »

The building being raised to the ground was the stores building, the wheel lathe is the building nearer Barlby Road. 

Thanks for that correction ET.  It has been 20 years since I was last in the depot....... Tongue
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: