I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:15 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:27:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Programme (IEP) - ongoing discussion  (Read 743780 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2013, 09:39:40 »

Quoting seems to be b*gg*red....

Too many pax for the CL in the peak prevents splitting at Oxford. Lenthen main stations as far as Moreton & split there may be a possibility though.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #211 on: June 14, 2013, 15:01:59 »

THere's two solutions really - either more services (eg every 30 minutes in each peak rather than hourly) or longer platforms. Both work, the latter is cheaper (one-off cost)

From experience we probably need both.  If trains are short but frequent it seems that certain trains will always be overcrowded and need to be lenghtened. With the Virgin Princess CC timetable with frequent short Voyagers it soon became apparent certain trains soon became too full.

Look at the Pendelinos now 11 cars and very frequent!

If rail is going to help fulfill the countries transport needs we are going to need both more frequent and longer trains, which will be costly.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 15, 2013, 18:00:17 »

What has to be remembered is the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) spec was written by that well know railway operator DfT» (Department for Transport - about) so of course they have it correct  Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 15, 2013, 19:09:41 »

I have to say I have softened my attitude to IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) recently. Having read the spec, they do generally have the right idea such as seats around tables, adequate luggage space etc... DfT» (Department for Transport - about) may not know how to build trains, but they do have a good idea of what it is like to travel inside of one.
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #214 on: June 15, 2013, 19:17:56 »

Agreed with NSE (Network South East). The problem seems to be that the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) has a specification that is trying to deal with many different train needs and thus with so much compromise necessary, doesn't satisfy everything.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 15, 2013, 23:23:56 »

I have to say I have softened my attitude to IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) recently. Having read the spec, they do generally have the right idea such as seats around tables, adequate luggage space etc... DfT» (Department for Transport - about) may not know how to build trains, but they do have a good idea of what it is like to travel inside of one.
Agreed with NSE (Network South East). The problem seems to be that the IEP has a specification that is trying to deal with many different train needs and thus with so much compromise necessary, doesn't satisfy everything.

I agree it not easy to get the spec right, the HST (High Speed Train)'s don't met all that has been asked of them although they have exceeded what they were designed to do.

I also think Hitachi are putting a lot of effort in to get the IEP's right, they are the new kids on the block in Europe and I think they will set a standard that Siemens, Bombardier etc will have to match.  Hitachi also have 2 other trains they are putting forward one they have put in as the bid for Crossrail

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 15, 2013, 23:51:37 »

I tend to agree - based on what I have seen so far.  Certainly the number of tables in standard class at 8 per carriage is, in my opinion, just about the right compromise - after all, that's 49 tables giving almost 200 seats at tables per 9-car Electric Train.  Toilet provision at 11 per 9-car train is also about right in my opinion.  There can never be enough luggage space it seems these days, but difficult to be too sure without seeing the final train in person.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 16, 2013, 08:33:38 »

My concern is not so much the published spec, but the fact that presumably this can still be altered.
By the time that the new units come into use, growth in passenger numbers will ensure that they are at least as overcrowded as are present trains.
If, as suggested above, 5 car trains are to replace 8 car HSTs (High Speed Train) the crowding will be a lot worse from day one.

I therefore forsee calls, for example to build a "few" sets as high density in order to allow 5 car units to provide "similar" seat numbers to an HST.
Then, "why not make them all like that, a uniform fleet is so much more flexible" and of course the infamous "it is what passengers want, surveys show it"

Some years ago on these forums I stated that the new trains would consist mainly of short units with a few longer ones. A number of respected members took issue with this and felt that I was being unduly negative.
Well the order for the GW (Great Western) certainly seems to consist of more half size trains than full size !
Though I grant that the short units are now 5 car and not 4 as was initialy suggested.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #218 on: June 24, 2013, 19:17:57 »

A mock up timetable produced by the DFT (Department for Transport) has appeared on  the Wnxx forum which will interest a few members on here.

The timetable just shows the Bristol TM(resolve) to London Paddington services.

According to one post although this isn't confirmed it seems there will be a micture of 9 carriage electric and 5 carriage bi-modes on the London Paddington - Cardiff/Swansea services.

Hopefully the 5 carriage bi-modes will be doubled up during the peaks although it seems the south wales services will be skipping Didcot.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 24, 2013, 19:42:59 »

Very interesting. I'm guessing that you can tell the doubled up diagrams as they are shown twice, so showing where a second unit gets added.

Interesting that the north somerset services are routed via Parkway, thus speeding up journey times to Paddington, though will make a lot of people very unhappy who currently commute from west to east of Bristol (including me). Now I clearly have a vested interest here, but I would have thought that the additional services should be the Bristol starters, as that layers on additional services but retains existing journey opportunities.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #220 on: June 25, 2013, 18:16:50 »

This is another timtable which shows all the GW (Great Western) services with IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) which is well
worth having a browse through.

Seems the Swansea - London services are non stopping between Newport & Reading.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 25, 2013, 19:37:51 »

Which leaves Swindon (and connections into Swindon) to Cardiff as hourly, verses half hourly currently.  Undecided

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 25, 2013, 21:11:05 »

Interesting. I am curious about the bi-mode trains (making me bi-curious - not a word to Mrs FTN! please). Seems that two 5-car bi units leave Paddington together, under electric power. At Bristol, they separate, with one continuing to Weston. Does the other one do anything whilst its partner is away? Presumably if it did, another driver would be needed. Also, it looks like one poor bi unit ends up at Weston overnight. Seems odd - if it goes to the depot at Filton, it looks like it goes empty, which seems like a wasted revenue opportunity. Why not have a Weston to Abbey Wood service? Although then, we would need a conductor.

I like the look of the diagrams, which see some of the the trains running almost 1000 miles per day. Not the finished product, I know, but nice to know we are making the best use of the expensive kit.

Now, please!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 25, 2013, 21:29:52 »

The unit left behind at Bristol could turn round and form a working back to London.

Currently units work ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) from Bristol out to Weston and Taunton early in the morning, and similarly back late at night, so the position will be similar, albeit to a different depot a few miles north.

One other thing I noticed on the north somerset services is an hourly gap in the morning, with no service in the place of the current arrival into Temple Meads just before 8am. This is the busiest service, with fairly high seat occupancy in standard class, so I suspect the timetable has been developed on paper with little thought as to actual traffic flows.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 25, 2013, 21:55:44 »

Which leaves Swindon (and connections into Swindon) to Cardiff as hourly, verses half hourly currently.  Undecided
In reality London-Cardiff becomes hourly as well because the service is no longer a regular half-hourly service but two services at uneven intervals with uneven journey times. 2tph off peak London-Bristol TM(resolve) calling only at Bristol Parkway seems a little excessive as well, can't see many people using those at off peak times.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: