21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 19:03:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[313] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[78] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[34] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[32] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham
[6] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Programme (IEP) - ongoing discussion  (Read 745287 times)
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 25, 2013, 22:10:08 »

Seems the Swansea - London services are non stopping between Newport & Reading.

Which leaves Swindon (and connections into Swindon) to Cardiff as hourly, verses half hourly currently.  Undecided

Didcot has no direct trains to Bristol Parkway & onwards for five hours from half threeish to half eightish in the evening. Know a few people who do this journey who wouldn't be pleased at that (and the lack of a direct service in the morning before 9:30 too).

The peak service to & from London is given at about half the current frequency. Some of the current stops could be considered as capacity driven but a half-hour frequency is a bit sparse as a commuter service - the off peak service is double this. Maybe the idea would be for the Oxfords to stop in this period ...

No wonder there are the caveats about stopping pattern & frequency on the title page.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #226 on: June 25, 2013, 22:17:29 »

And doesn't leaving stops out of a service gobble up paths too?  Shouldn't we be looking at a service every 10 minutes - London, Reading, Didcot, Swindon?  Fast acceleration;  extra to leave 5 minutes after the the regular pattern,  express to Reading then 1 on to Worcester or there abouts, 1 to Penzance, 1 to Newbury Bedwyn Westbury, 1 to Oxford, 1 to Taunton or Weymouth (alternating?) via Trowbridge and 1 to Cheltenham?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 25, 2013, 22:18:40 »

I should caution people against thinking these workings are set in stone.

A reminder of the first page of the document:

The train frequencies, journey times and calling patterns in this file should therefore not be regarded as a aspirations or proposals.

In addition, the fleet deployment shown in this file is only one option, and Franchise bidders will be free to propose alternatives.

I can't find it right now (maybe IndustryInsider can help?), but I've read a DfT» (Department for Transport - about) document that suggests when IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) is introduced there will be three fast trains per hour from Paddington to Oxford, the IEP document above seems to not acknowledge this.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 25, 2013, 22:44:49 »

The above are the caveats I referred to.

Still having suffered through one silly DfT» (Department for Transport - about) 'inspired' timetable at the last franchise start that took the best part of two years to recover from, seeing another even as an illustration doesn't inspire much confidence.
aleph_0

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 26, 2013, 01:43:15 »

Hmm. Not convinced on the Reading-Newport non-stop. but I suppose compromises have to be made somewhere, and this is just an indicative plan. In particular, if you turn up at a random time at Cardiff, for 50 minutes in the hour, the amount of time before you get to London hasn't really changed. Which doesn't seem like a huge improvement.

I guess it depends so much on the rest of the new GW (Great Western) timetable. Cardiff-Bristol Parkway is useful for onwards travel to north of Bristol by car, and CrossCountry connections to the North. A service from (say) Cardiff to meet the xx18 fast BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) would give Cardiff and Newport something nearer to an effective half-hourly fast service both to Bristol Parkway, and to London. But maybe it would be better to improve the Cardiff-Birmingham via. Gloucester route instead (in frequency and/or reliability).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 26, 2013, 10:30:34 »

I can't find it right now (maybe IndustryInsider can help?), but I've read a DfT» (Department for Transport - about) document that suggests when IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) is introduced there will be three fast trains per hour from Paddington to Oxford, the IEP document above seems to not acknowledge this.

I can't remember seeing any reference to 3tph to be honest.  Thanks to 'anthony215' for posting those documents though as they provide an interesting insight - but (as others have said) please don't expect the final timetable and diagrams to look anything like that - I can't see 9 daily direct trains from Hereford to Paddington making the final cut for example.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 26, 2013, 18:39:23 »

I can't remember seeing any reference to 3tph to be honest. 
Found it - page 106 of the Great Western RUS (Route Utilisation Strategy). Although a couple of years old, it says:

4.3.3.2 Main line services (Great Western Main Line)
IEP trains will begin to replace the current eight-car High Speed Trains across much of the GWML (Great Western Main Line) network including the Oxford/ Cotswold corridor. Projected growth in demand is expected to be catered for by a substantial increase in capacity of the new train formations which will be capable of working in electric or bi-mode formations.

In addition to the higher capacity of the new trains themselves, an increase in frequency from two trains per hour to three trains per hour is currently proposed for the Oxford corridor, with through working to the Cotswold Line (from Oxford to Worcester, Great Malvern and Hereford) at standard hourly intervals.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #232 on: June 26, 2013, 18:47:39 »

Poh, hourly intervals in the Cotswold Line.....but that doc has been superceded by the south-east RUS2 hasn't it?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 26, 2013, 19:53:26 »

I don't think it's really superseded as such, the London and SE RUS (Route Utilisation Strategy) definitely fine tunes certain stuff about the inner GWML (Great Western Main Line), and discusses the possible service changes affecting Reading to London capacity at great length, but it doesn't seem to mention the Cotswolds at all.

I'd suggest it is more a case of one adds more info to the other...

Paul
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 27, 2013, 13:23:58 »

I can see the introduction of IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)'s as being the ideal time to introduce the much heralded hourly off-peak Cotswold Line service, and the padding has been largely removed in that sample timetable that 'anthony215' posted yesterday to give some pretty impressive running times.  But whatever happens it won't end up being the timetable that we finally see as it has trains departing Evesham every hour bound for Worcester as a train the other way has only just departed Pershore on the single line!   Undecided

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 27, 2013, 15:19:26 »

The Great Western RUS (Route Utilisation Strategy) as well as suggesting a three-times-an-hour Oxford service also had an hourly fast 'shuttle' service from London terminating at Didcot, sometimes extended to Swindon. This was 'compensation' for the removal of all Didcot stops on the South Wales services.
gwr2006

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 05, 2013, 19:55:19 »

A mock up timetable produced by the DFT (Department for Transport) has appeared on  the Wnxx forum which will interest a few members on here.

Whereabouts on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) forum? Thanks
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #237 on: July 05, 2013, 20:00:30 »

There was a thread started about the toc's pushing for them to be allowed to order their own rolling stock that is  where these timetables were posted originally when the thread turned into a bit of an IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) bashing
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 18, 2013, 10:05:39 »

Can anyone explain how the Class 800 will shave 22 mins off London - Temple Meads, but only 10 mins off London - South GloucestershireBristol Parkway?

Great Western

London Paddington toTypical journey time today from / to London PaddingtonJourney time on class 800 series from / to London PaddingtonTime saving
Reading25232
Oxford 58535
Worcester Shrub Hill 13912019
Cheltenham Spa13511223
Bristol Parkway817110
Bath Spa87798
Bristol Temple Meads1058322
Cardiff    12110417
Swansea17815919

Source: DFT (Department for Transport)

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
DidcotPunter

View Profile Email
« Reply #239 on: July 18, 2013, 10:41:05 »

If I recall correctly, the original service outlined by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) for IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) included 4 trains per hour from Bristol TM(resolve) to Padd and vice versa. Two of these were to run via Bath and two via Bristol Parkway, one of which was to be non-stop throughout.  I guess that this would give rise to the claimed 22 minute saving while the other trains from Parkway would be stopping at Swindon and Reading.

No doubt more detail will emerge in due course.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: