Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:46 Bristol Temple Meads to Warminster
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
13:50 London Paddington to Great Malvern
14:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 14:14:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[153] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[97] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Travel for free on the m2 metrobus - Bristol - 4,5,6 April 202...
[41] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[38] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[37] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Programme (IEP) - ongoing discussion  (Read 743853 times)
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 05, 2013, 18:50:35 »

As for the Class 91s and IC225s, I'm sure they'll be redeployed elsewhere and won't be scrapped.  Given the stalling of the eVoyager project, XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) and/or the MML» (Midland Main Line. - about) might end up with them.  Or the GEML (Great Eastern Main Line) are is a potential candidates to take some of them.
Once again, don't forget that class 91s have 140mph capability. If they are removed from the ECML (East Coast Main Line) the mrk4s could well find a new home but there is nowhere else (except maybe the GWML (Great Western Main Line), but that'll have it's own IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.)) where that top speed could be used and, since they are geared for that speed, acceleration to 110mph will probably not be as good as a 90. 91s are best suited for routes with a high top speed and long distances between stops. MML XC and GEML don't cut it on top speed and XC has the additional problem of lack of wires. In terms of suitablity, IC225s on the ECML and IEPs on the MML probably makes alot more sense than the other way arround.
The 140 mph capability they have never used in revenue earning service.  They and the Mk 4's will be redeployed as II said GE to Norwich which has just commenced or is about in CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) route upgrade, the MML is also a likely candidate where speed upgrade works is already under way to get 125 working to cover more of the route than currently.

The IEP's capacity are based more on what DfT» (Department for Transport - about) can fund, I know a lot of the funding is coming from the private sector but the DfT are part funding and  underwriting them. 
The diesel on the all electric units is actually lighter, probably requires less maintenance and more environmentally friendly than a Tonne of batteries on each carriage, there is a requirement (I believe in the TSI's) for 3 hour emergency power supply for HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) electric traction units

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 05, 2013, 19:41:50 »

there is a requirement (I believe in the TSI's) for 3 hour emergency power supply for HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) electric traction units

Wouldn't have been much good in yesterday's debacle at Pewsey then. (http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=12752.0) They will have to get emergency cover in place much more quickly to avoid potentially dangerous situations with 'life support' (sorry, Star Trek influence!) systems out after 3 hours.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 05, 2013, 20:20:23 »

there is a requirement (I believe in the TSI's) for 3 hour emergency power supply for HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) electric traction units

Wouldn't have been much good in yesterday's debacle at Pewsey then. (http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=12752.0) They will have to get emergency cover in place much more quickly to avoid potentially dangerous situations with 'life support' (sorry, Star Trek influence!) systems out after 3 hours.

Yes and that is an extreme occurrence that happens very rarely, the engine in the electric only units is also able to move the train all be it at slow speed, don't help much when you get a break failure but again yesterdays incident is not an every day one

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 05, 2013, 22:47:08 »

Once again, don't forget that class 91s have 140mph capability.

As have Pendolino's.  And despite my hopes for their 140mph capability being used on the WCML (West Coast Main Line), I fear it will be many years (if at all) before it is.  ETRMS makes it possible, as it will with the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)'s, but that doesn't mean it will happen as soon as that is installed given potential issues with platforms en-route as well as track geometry.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: August 05, 2013, 23:33:27 »

Once again, don't forget that class 91s have 140mph capability.

As have Pendolino's.  And despite my hopes for their 140mph capability being used on the WCML (West Coast Main Line), I fear it will be many years (if at all) before it is.  ETRMS makes it possible, as it will with the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)'s, but that doesn't mean it will happen as soon as that is installed given potential issues with platforms en-route as well as track geometry.
The 140 mph capability they have never used in revenue earning service.  They and the Mk 4's will be redeployed as II said GE to Norwich which has just commenced or is about in CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) route upgrade, the MML» (Midland Main Line. - about) is also a likely candidate where speed upgrade works is already under way to get 125 working to cover more of the route than currently.
While they haven't been able to make use of their 140mph capability for a long time the fact that they have this capability probably does impeed their acceleration somewhat. Therefore, my main point still stands, they are better suited for long-distance services at high speed with few stops.

Isn't London - Norwich is unlikely to see anything more than 110mph running? If so, wouldn't it be faster with class 90s rather than class 91s? 90s plus mrk4s seems more likely than 91s if London - Norwich gets mrk4s.

The IEP's capacity are based more on what DfT» (Department for Transport - about) can fund, I know a lot of the funding is coming from the private sector but the DfT are part funding and  underwriting them. 
The diesel on the all electric units is actually lighter, probably requires less maintenance and more environmentally friendly than a Tonne of batteries on each carriage, there is a requirement (I believe in the TSI's) for 3 hour emergency power supply for HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) electric traction units
Maintainance costs of diesel engine? The real problem there is DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about)'s insane spec. No other train has a requirement for 3-hour hotel power and the ability to limp to the next station does it? The reduced costs from dropping that requirement could allow the extra carriages needed to make the sets decent lengths. Better yet, instead of replacing IC225s on the ECML (East Coast Main Line) they could use those vehicles to lengthen the short sets.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 05, 2013, 23:58:34 »

While they haven't been able to make use of their 140mph capability for a long time the fact that they have this capability probably does impeed their acceleration somewhat. Therefore, my main point still stands, they are better suited for long-distance services at high speed with few stops.

Isn't London - Norwich is unlikely to see anything more than 110mph running? If so, wouldn't it be faster with class 90s rather than class 91s? 90s plus mrk4s seems more likely than 91s if London - Norwich gets mrk4s.

Does it impeed their acceleration that much (if at all) though?  If it did, surely they'd have been re-geared to a 125mph maximum many years ago.  If you provide facts to back this lack of acceleration up then I am happy to concede they might not be suitable for use on the GEML (Great Eastern Main Line) and MML» (Midland Main Line. - about).  Until then, use on those routes, primarily replacing MkIII coaches and older traction would seem sensible enough to me.

Maintainance costs of diesel engine? The real problem there is DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about)'s insane spec. No other train has a requirement for 3-hour hotel power and the ability to limp to the next station does it?

As I've said before the number of times that huge delays have occurred and the service has completely melted down on the WCML (West Coast Main Line) and especially the ECML (East Coast Main Line) due to a short section of OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") being damaged means that I think this 'insane spec' is, in reality, a sensible precaution, and well overdue.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
John R

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 06, 2013, 07:21:15 »

I believe it's true. A few years ago there was a regular 90 diagram on the Leeds London run and the comment was that on a stopping service it kept time, as its better acceleration more or less offset the lower maximum speed.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 06, 2013, 17:13:34 »

As I've said before the number of times that huge delays have occurred and the service has completely melted down on the WCML (West Coast Main Line) and especially the ECML (East Coast Main Line) due to a short section of OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") being damaged means that I think this 'insane spec' is, in reality, a sensible precaution, and well overdue.

And I agree, II. Nothing impedes the smooth running of a railway more than a stalled train in the way. OLE problems are by no means uncommon, especially in extreme weather, and even though the train will only be able to make 30 mph with the diesel engine, it is still going to get to the next station more quickly than it would waiting for a rescue loco. A colleague some years back was travelling from Taunton to Bridgewater after work had the misfortune to be on a train that broke down just before the turn-off for Castle Cary. Eventually, they saw a loco run past on the other line, and thought their troubles would be soon over. But that broke down too, and couldn't turn back at Taunton. All in all, it took over 3 hours, during which time nothing could go north through Taunton. This had nothing to do with electric trains, but demonstrates what can happen. Self-rescue can only be a good thing.

Who says you can't run with your pants down?

Now, please!
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: August 06, 2013, 17:57:50 »

And I agree, II. Nothing impedes the smooth running of a railway more than a stalled train in the way. OLE problems are by no means uncommon, especially in extreme weather, and even though the train will only be able to make 30 mph with the diesel engine, it is still going to get to the next station more quickly than it would waiting for a rescue loco. A colleague some years back was travelling from Taunton to Bridgewater after work had the misfortune to be on a train that broke down just before the turn-off for Castle Cary. Eventually, they saw a loco run past on the other line, and thought their troubles would be soon over. But that broke down too, and couldn't turn back at Taunton. All in all, it took over 3 hours, during which time nothing could go north through Taunton. This had nothing to do with electric trains, but demonstrates what can happen. Self-rescue can only be a good thing.
My bold. The proportion of incidents where self-rescue would actually work is probably quite low. If the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) is the train that pulled the wires down it my be unable to proceed due to wires tangled in the pantograph anyway. There are also other potential failures (like brakes perhaps?) which would not be helped by having emergeny power. And to have an emergency diesel engine means lumbering the 'electric' train with most of the disbenifits of diesel traction, primarily maintainance costs. Why bother with the capital cost of electrification if you aren't going to gain full benifit from it?

Has any other country got electric trains which have diesel engines purely 'just in case' something fails? Even Chiltern's generator DVTs(resolve) running with their 67s are more for noise reduction while stabled but requiring power than 'just in case' aren't they? While I've been lucky enough not to be on a failed/stuck train for any length of time, I think I'd rather have the money spent on decent-length trains and have to wait for a thunderbird once than suffer many trips in trains of inadequate length.

Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 06, 2013, 18:37:03 »

And to have an emergency diesel engine means lumbering the 'electric' train with most of the disbenifits of diesel traction, primarily maintainance costs. Why bother with the capital cost of electrification if you aren't going to gain full benifit from it?

Has any other country got electric trains which have diesel engines purely 'just in case' something fails?

The diesel engine will more than likely be a lower maintenance cost than a large battery on each coach, the engine I am guessing will be "plug n play palletised" unit, the traction package is being configured so the diesel gen set can power it for emergency moves.

Personally I think its an inspired option by Hitachi something that may well have been the bid winner over the other tenderer's who may well have gone along the lines of rescue locomotives, the tender was for a supply and maintain contract unit failures will be costly to Hitachi

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 06, 2013, 19:26:20 »

The diesel engine will more than likely be a lower maintenance cost than a large battery on each coach, the engine I am guessing will be "plug n play palletised" unit, the traction package is being configured so the diesel gen set can power it for emergency moves.

Personally I think its an inspired option by Hitachi something that may well have been the bid winner over the other tenderer's who may well have gone along the lines of rescue locomotives, the tender was for a supply and maintain contract unit failures will be costly to Hitachi

You can see it here. Technical details are here.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 19:36:51 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 06, 2013, 19:57:59 »

Some of the requirements on power supply for electric IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) are clear in the requirement, some are not:
  • If a unit splits, every carriage must maintain lighting for 3 hours. That drives the battery requirement. Other services don't have this explicitly defined, and of course for some (PIS (Passenger Information System)) it would be impractical.
  • When a unit is hauled by a loco supplying no electric power, outside OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") areas, it must meet the full spec. including HVAC for 6 hours. That is what drives the motor-generator solution.
  • In "unable to proceed under main power source" mode it must maintain "basic services" for 3 hours. Basic services include "saloon ventilation", but that is not defined that I can see. Only a full HVAC is defined.
  • In "train requires assistance from another train" mode it only has to try to meet the spec. for "unable to proceed under main power source" mode.
There a other mode similar to loco-hauled where it's hauled by a bi-mode IEP.
Note: only 3 hours - and then not always after it's been hauled with no 25kV.
All of this is subject to the caveat that the published requirement is still valid.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 06, 2013, 20:03:06 »

My bold. The proportion of incidents where self-rescue would actually work is probably quite low. If the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) is the train that pulled the wires down it my be unable to proceed due to wires tangled in the pantograph anyway. There are also other potential failures (like brakes perhaps?) which would not be helped by having emergeny power. And to have an emergency diesel engine means lumbering the 'electric' train with most of the disbenifits of diesel traction, primarily maintainance costs. Why bother with the capital cost of electrification if you aren't going to gain full benifit from it?

Has any other country got electric trains which have diesel engines purely 'just in case' something fails? Even Chiltern's generator DVTs(resolve) running with their 67s are more for noise reduction while stabled but requiring power than 'just in case' aren't they? While I've been lucky enough not to be on a failed/stuck train for any length of time, I think I'd rather have the money spent on decent-length trains and have to wait for a thunderbird once than suffer many trips in trains of inadequate length.
I don't think anything is going to persuade you that IEP is a good idea until Pembroke Dock is cleared for 26m working. Having been to the Hitachi presentation in Swindon, and after allowing for a healthy degree of sceptism, I am more encouraged. (Although I think the jury is still out on relative costs against other options.)
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: August 07, 2013, 00:56:24 »

I don't think anything is going to persuade you that IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) is a good idea until Pembroke Dock is cleared for 26m working. Having been to the Hitachi presentation in Swindon, and after allowing for a healthy degree of sceptism, I am more encouraged. (Although I think the jury is still out on relative costs against other options.)
On the contary, I would strongly oppose any suggestion that Pembroke Dock should be cleared for 26m coaches. Personally, I'd rather Pembroke Dock and Carmarthen both lose through London trains than have IEPs in its current form. The only reason for keeping those trains in my view is capacity, the Welsh franchise would probably be unable to provide long enough trains. The Pacers on the Pembrokes can be packed on Summer Saturdays and the Carmarthen to Paddington service on weekdays looks to be at an ideal commuter time at Swansea (I haven't actually used that one though, so can only guess at how well used it is).

I have been pursuaded that IEP's 26m vehicles could well turn out to be a good idea on the electrified parts of the GWML (Great Western Main Line) and as a replacement for IC125s on the ECML (East Coast Main Line), provided the emergency power requirements are dropped (as I see it, they would add a lot of cost and a bit of GHG (Greenhouse gas)* emmisions for very little benifit). I have also been pursauded that bi-mode IEP is probably the best of a bad bunch for the Cotswolds line, provided 5-car sets are abandoned and they come in at least 8-car formations instead.

I don't think anything will ever persuade me that East Coast should have bi-modes (unless they can share a fleet with another TOC (Train Operating Company) or gain additional routes), or that the proposed 'electric'/bi-mode mix on the GWML is correct. Also, I will NEVER be happy with anything which sees 91s and/or their associated mrk4 carriages scrapped or exported before life expiry (which, given electrics last 5-10 years longer than diesels, should be after every single 158 has been retired, given that 158s were built arround the same time as 91s). New trains might turn out even nicer than the IC225s, but they would cost more.

*GreenHouse Gas

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 07, 2013, 11:07:50 »

The proportion of incidents where self-rescue would actually work is probably quite low. If the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) is the train that pulled the wires down it my be unable to proceed due to wires tangled in the pantograph anyway. There are also other potential failures (like brakes perhaps?) which would not be helped by having emergeny power.

That may well be the case.  It also might be the case that there's a Class 377 stopped at the signal ahead that can't move as it was that that ripped down the wires, so the IEP behind can go nowhere.  However, at least this engine will be able to provide lighting and air-conditioning whilst the problem is resolved - with a quick internet search you can find horror stories all round the world when trains are stuck with no power, no air-con for several hours.

Anyway, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: