Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:12 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
18:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:14 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
15:48 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
16:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 06:37:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Programme (IEP) - ongoing discussion  (Read 744943 times)
Network SouthEast

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: October 02, 2013, 23:23:33 »

Voyagers can work with Voyagers in multiple and Meridians can work with Meridians in multiple. I should stress I don't know much about these particular Bombardier products, but I think the issue with having a Voyager running with a Meridian is that it won't be possible for one type of train to give a door release to the other type. Although as Tim says, fixing this shouldn't be too much of an issue if the need arises.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: October 03, 2013, 08:45:53 »

I believe Voyagers have Alstom software as fitted to Pendolinos to allow Virgin to couple them in emergencies. Not sure about that, just what I've read somewhere.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #332 on: October 03, 2013, 14:15:22 »

Yes the Virgin 221's have been fitted with software from Alstom to allow them to couple to a class 390 in required should a unit fail and needs to be rescued.

I am not sure if those units operated by Crosscountry have been fitted
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 01, 2013, 12:45:01 »

Work to construct the Newton Aycliffe facility is about to commence:

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/hitachi-starts-work-on-uk-plant.html

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #334 on: November 01, 2013, 14:35:56 »

BVince Cable was there this morning. Presumably dug the first divot.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #335 on: November 01, 2013, 17:11:02 »

Divot very PC!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 01, 2013, 17:14:45 »

Vince Cable was there this morning. Presumably dug the first divot.

Divot very PC!

Yes. there's a man who calls a spade a non-mechanical horticultural soil inversion implement. He probably had that divot pre=loosened by some poor sod.

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 05, 2013, 16:00:19 »

From Railway Gazette - look, bi-mode intercity express trains!

Fleet renewal funded
05 Dec 2013

FRANCE: Transport Minister Fr^ric Cuvillier confirmed on December 4 that the government had agreed a funding package allowing SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) to proceed with an order of 34 inter-city multiple-units.

Funding worth ^510m, with an option for further investment worth ^100m, has been provided for the procurement of 34 Coradia Liner electro-diesel trainsets from Alstom, plus associated depot investment works.

As part of the government^s investment programme for SNCF^s long-distance services known as Trains d^Equilibre du Territoire, the new fleet will replace ageing locomotive-hauled Corail coaches.

Each six-car trainset would be 100 m long, with capacity for 267 passengers. Operating at up to 160 km/h under 25 kV 50 Hz or 1^5 kV DC (Direct Current) electrification or powered by six roof-mounted 350 kW MAN diesel engines, the Coradia Liner would be lighter than SNCF's existing locomotive-hauled trains, with improved acceleration and braking and 30% lower energy consumption, Alstom says.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 05, 2013, 20:52:02 »

Is 100mph really 'express' though?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 05, 2013, 23:23:25 »

True - this was designed as a regional train, but the electric version can do 200 km/hr. I'm not sure if the hybrid power version could do that, in one or both modes, if you asked for one. It may be it's just never been asked for, due to the different priorities elsewhere in Europe.

But the point was really that it's not just a DafT idea - nor an entirely new one.

and yes - I did put that in the wrong thread by mistake!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 23:33:23 by stuving » Logged
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #340 on: December 06, 2013, 11:15:25 »

Probably not in modern terms but is probably adequate for most French non LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) routes where it would be considered too fast.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #341 on: December 06, 2013, 15:26:07 »

True - this was designed as a regional train, but the electric version can do 200 km/hr. I'm not sure if the hybrid power version could do that, in one or both modes, if you asked for one. It may be it's just never been asked for, due to the different priorities elsewhere in Europe.

But the point was really that it's not just a DafT idea - nor an entirely new one.

and yes - I did put that in the wrong thread by mistake!
So, the SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) bi-modes are regional trains, not Intercity? If the UK (United Kingdom) ordered a fleet of bi-mode regional express trains, similar to class 158 or class 444 sets, at sensible non-PFI-inflated prices, I wouldn't mind. It is ordering Intercity bi-modes when we have finally embarked on a program of electrifying our remaining Intercity lines that is a DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about) idea.

Similar story with HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)), take some ideas which are good in theory and throw them together in a way that makes very little sense.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 06, 2013, 18:04:46 »

Roof mounted engines ............... and folks her moan about the noise from under floor engines

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 06, 2013, 19:14:08 »

So, the SNCF (Societe Nationale des Chemins de fer Francais - French National Railways) bi-modes are regional trains, not Intercity?

What is the difference is between a "regional train" that is capable of 200 km/hr, and an "intercity express" train that was pencilled in as 225 km/hr but ends up not needing to exceed 200 km/hr? A marketing label, I suspect, based on the different attitude to classes of line and their speeds in different European countries.

There were different priorities given here and in most of Europe to HS (High Speed (short for HSS (High Speed Services) High Speed Services)) lines and electrification, versus upgrades for existing lines. That explains a difference in labels and a real difference in the proportions of classes of line. However, the technical differences between trains with different labels seem to be disappearing. So it's not a surprise to find a similar train with a different label, and for some users to not want its highest speed.

(And perhaps it would be best to take this short strand and re-spin back it into the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) thread, please mods.)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 06, 2013, 20:42:37 »

(And perhaps it would be best to take this short strand and re-spin back it into the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) thread, please mods.)

Done! Even though I still find 'merging' scary.  Cheesy

Now, back to the merits, or otherwise, of bi-mode, roof mounted, underfloor...

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: