Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:15 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:15:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Programme (IEP) - ongoing discussion  (Read 743740 times)
Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #375 on: March 10, 2014, 17:01:40 »

We used to have the facility of a turbo being able to come into platform 1 at Oxford behind a standing HST (High Speed Train). However there was a minor collision some years ago when the turbo hit the HST and since then an approaching turbo is usually held outside Oxford until the HST has departed meaning that Cotswold Line travellers could lose their Oxford connection.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: March 20, 2014, 07:51:21 »

Hitachi is to move its global rail business from Japan to the UK (United Kingdom) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26657455

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 20, 2014, 08:12:35 »

Hitachi is to move its global rail business from Japan to the UK (United Kingdom) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26657455

Certainly good news on the employment front, and arguably a vote of confidence in the UK.
I still have misgivings regarding the design of the new trains, but that is a seperate issue.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: March 20, 2014, 09:18:46 »

Hitachi have put a new global rail leadership structure in place as well - http://www.railnetwork.info/article.php?article_id=5742

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 28, 2014, 22:10:21 »

A video news report from ITV News showing some detail of the interior of the Intercity Express Programme trains:

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/update/2014-05-28/final-designs-revealed-for-new-intercity-swansea-to-london-trains/
ITV News can exclusively reveal the final designs of a new generation of InterCity trains soon to take to the tracks across South Wales.

Work is underway on the first of hundreds of new bullet-style carriages in Japan for Great Western trains at a cost of almost six billion pounds.

With extra seats and space they should help ease the overcrowding crisis suffered by many passengers.

They will run on the mainline from London Paddington to Cardiff and through to Swansea.

Full size mock-ups of several carriages were secretly built to get the views of watchdogs and the rail industry - and the final design is about to be approved by the Government.

ITV Meridian's Mike Pearse was given exclusive access to see the train of the future.

And on a similar theme from the Oxford Mail:

High-speed shape of things to come

MEET the new face of express train travel in Oxford, Didcot and the Cotswolds.

This is the nose of the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) trains which will operate Great Western high-speed services between Oxfordshire, London, Bristol and South Wales from 2017.

Construction of the first of four prototype trains is now under way at Kasado in Japan, at a factory owned by Hitachi.

The company, which made the Class 395 Javelin trains used on high-speed commuter services running between Kent and London, is building a plant at Newton Aycliffe, in County Durham, to manufacture the rest of the fleet.

The first prototype is due to be completed next month and will arrive in the UK (United Kingdom) to start tests in the autumn. High-speed trial running is expected to take place next year between Didcot and Reading, once overhead electric wires are installed there as part of the Great Western main line electrification programme.

A full-size mock-up of parts of the train was produced by DCA Design International, of Leamington Spa, to help develop the final design.

Staff from First Great Western have been involved in the project, with drivers asked to give their views on the layout of the cab. As well as the nose cone and driving cab, the mock-up includes standard and first class seating areas, toilets and the luggage and cycle racks which will be installed in the vestibules of coaches.

Two versions of the 125mph trains are on order for Great Western services, 21 nine-coach Class 800 electric trains and 36 five-coach Class 801 bi-mode, electro-diesel units. These will use electricity from overhead power cables where these are installed, then switch to underfloor diesel engines on non-electrified routes, such as the Cotswold Line between Oxford and Worcester.

After a recent visit to DCA^s workshops in Warwick, Rail Minister Stephen Hammond, above, said: ^I was very impressed with the mock-up of the Class 800/801 train, and interested to hear about the lengths that the designers have gone to in ensuring that the views of passengers and other stakeholders have been included.

^The new trains will provide passengers with an improved travelling experience. I look forward to seeing them come into operation.^

Draft seating designs show the nine-coach trains will have about 630 seats. The five-coach sets will have about 320 seats and will be able to couple together to create a 640-seat train for busy peak services.

Another 12 five-coach electric trains, 10 five-coach bi-mode trains, and 13 nine-car bi-mode trains are also on order for the East Coast rail franchise, which links London with Yorkshire, the North East and Scotland.

The IEP fleet was ordered by the Government under a ^5.8bn private finance initiative contract with Agility Trains, a consortium of Hitachi and British infrastructure management firm John Laing.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 29, 2014, 19:12:22 »

Lovely. Though nowhere for a Guard (train Manager) and catering to be trolleys only I believe. When staff were involved they mean only drivers! Did no-one ask catering staff or Train Managers. I guess not as it looks like they have no input. GW (Great Western) mainline Driver Only in future with trolley catering and no hot food. Delightful. At least I can have a warm cup of tea after other customers have caused disruptions.

And that is quite a cynical.....though I would argue......more accurate opinion

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 29, 2014, 20:47:41 »

Those seats don't look they were designed for long journeys. Perhaps I'm wrong but they don't look very comfortable.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 29, 2014, 20:53:41 »

Those seats don't look they were designed for long journeys. Perhaps I'm wrong but they don't look very comfortable.
If they are similar to the seats in the 395 then I have found them quite comfortable even on a 2 hour trip London to Ramsgate

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 30, 2014, 07:35:54 »

Lovely. Though nowhere for a Guard (train Manager) and catering to be trolleys only I believe. When staff were involved they mean only drivers! Did no-one ask catering staff or Train Managers. I guess not as it looks like they have no input. GW (Great Western) mainline Driver Only in future with trolley catering and no hot food. Delightful. At least I can have a warm cup of tea after other customers have caused disruptions.

Agree.
Years ago I expressed very negative views about the then proposed new trains, in particular regarding seating comfort, train length, lack of facing seats at tables, catering provision and so on.
It would appear that these negative views were largely correct.
Train length, most of the new trains are shorter than HSTs (High Speed Train)
Catering reduced to a trolley.
Seating is mainly bus style with only limited tables.

And yes I know that the new "fun sized" trains can be coupled together to give a full length train, as was promised with the wretched voyagers. Two short trains coupled together are better than a single short train of course, but inferior to a proper full length inter city train. And the voyager experience suggests that single units will be the norm and double ones the exception.
Seats certainly look basic and more typical of outer suburban stock than intercity trains.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 30, 2014, 08:43:46 »

I flew home from Corfu recently on a brand new A321 with similar-looking seats. They were perfectly comfortable for a 3^ hour journey, and apparently much lighter than the "conventional" style, leading to big savings in fuel.

Now, please!
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #385 on: May 30, 2014, 10:06:20 »

We seem to have become obssessed with cramming as many people as possible into the shortest possible train. Let's hope the fares fall in line with the discomfort. Squeasy Trains!
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 30, 2014, 11:29:10 »

Agree.
Years ago I expressed very negative views about the then proposed new trains, in particular regarding seating comfort, train length, lack of facing seats at tables, catering provision and so on.
It would appear that these negative views were largely correct.
Train length, most of the new trains are shorter than HSTs (High Speed Train)
Catering reduced to a trolley.
Seating is mainly bus style with only limited tables.

And yes I know that the new "fun sized" trains can be coupled together to give a full length train, as was promised with the wretched voyagers. Two short trains coupled together are better than a single short train of course, but inferior to a proper full length inter city train. And the voyager experience suggests that single units will be the norm and double ones the exception.
Seats certainly look basic and more typical of outer suburban stock than intercity trains.

Just a reminder of my fairly recent post at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=13396.msg146808#msg146808

Basically stating that FGW (First Great Western) have requested a kitchen for the use of both classes of travel.  If anything released in the last few days absolutely refutes that then fair enough.  Otherwise I'd suggest you wait until the trains are delivered and you can see them in the flesh before making such 'told-you-so' statements.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
trainbuff
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 30, 2014, 11:38:22 »

That would be good news if the case IndustryInsider. Though a kitchen does not mean Buffet. Voyagers have catering areas/kitchens but they still have trollies. Any news on Guards on trains then or am I correct in saying that they are set up with cameras at every door and TV screens in the drivers cab, so as Driver Only Operation is available

Invest in Railways in Devon and Cornwall!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #388 on: May 30, 2014, 12:05:29 »

Trollies sell more than buffets do. Fact.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 30, 2014, 12:22:19 »

That would be good news if the case IndustryInsider. Though a kitchen does not mean Buffet. Voyagers have catering areas/kitchens but they still have trollies. Any news on Guards on trains then or am I correct in saying that they are set up with cameras at every door and TV screens in the drivers cab, so as Driver Only Operation is available

True that a kitchen area doesn't mean a buffet necessarily, but I'd have thought it would be logical to have a buffet given that it would presumably be in the middle of the train at a location where passengers will be moving through, and not, as on a Voyager, at the ends.

My own personal view on catering is that shorter distance services and a trolley service is fine, longer distance and a trolley and buffet service becomes very desirable.  The Pullman service also seems to be popular on the limited number of services it works, so I'd like to see that extended to one of the premier Swansea trains again, but it may well be seen as too much of an inconvenience to provide on an IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) (by that I mean a whole fleet geared up for Pullman facilities and only a couple of trains a day justified in providing it) and it will just be retained on the HSTs (High Speed Train) that will continue to work the Cornish services.

As far as I know the IEPs are designed for DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) working, and have been since the very first design draft.  Whether that means they will normally operate as so is something I personally doubt, and the unions will fight tooth and nail to avoid that happening I'm sure.  There's nothing in theory stopping Turbo's operating DOO on the Cotswold/Gatwick lines, but there's no sign of the necessary platform equipment being installed, so just because something has been fitted doesn't necessarily mean it will be used.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: