Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:16:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Programme (IEP) - ongoing discussion  (Read 743730 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #525 on: January 12, 2015, 13:31:28 »

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) say they make more sales with their trolley than when they had buffets...
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 12, 2015, 19:08:15 »

XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) say they make more sales with their trolley than when they had buffets...

Have you ever seen evidence of that?  I have heard the opposite.  It's not that they make more sales - it's just the cost of providing the trolley vs buffet/maintenance etc is lower so they actually make "less loss" with a trolley which XC prefer.  I travel on XC quite regularly and hardly see anyone buying items from the trolley.  I don't see why there is always a race to the bottom with "improvements".. What is Virgin thinking then for buffets on IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)?

XC might get away with a trolley on 3 standard class voyager coaches, but I personally think 1 trolley to serve 7(?) standard class coaches is not sensible, compared to a buffet position half way down the train.  Part of the problem with buffet sales is people don't want to leave their seats or they might lose them, which shouldn't be an issue on IEP.

It's a shame, a proper trial cannot be agreed to carry out a trolley vs buffet on certain trains, but i'm sure both the company and unions would struggle to agree a trial.

I'd also like to see mini-buffets turned and used as coach D instead of F to see if that would improve sales providing it in a more sensible location in standard class.

While it is good to see the quality products that FGW (First Great Western) serve, it would also be good to see something like a ^4 meal deal of sandwich/crisps or fruit and drink.  While it may produce a tiny margin compared to some of the other products for sale, if you can change the perception of buffet being too expensive and "oh i'll just go to Sainsbury's before I get on", you may see higher sales overall.  I'd rather 10p profit x 10 customers, than ^1 profit x 1 and 9 customers spending their money elsewhere.

Catering makes losses, it's all about reducing losses.  Could stock taking be improved?  Sales and stock levels being linked to ordering to reduce wastage?  Cameras in buffet to remove any temptation of staff theft/fraud?  Could fraud with credit cards be reduced with new chip/pin terminals with on-line authorising?  Would sourcing products in-house instead of paying Rail Gourmet improve margins?

If trolleys truly increase service and sales, then fair enough.  However, I am of the belief that more can be done to improve the argument for the buffet.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 13, 2015, 06:55:44 »

Super guard you make some very interesting points

I think the idea of a meal deal is a good one. I've not much experience of catering on XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) as I haven't used them for at least a year but I know that on FGW (First Great Western) they cut the price of some perishable items in the evening to get rid of them. Although , like you say, introducing a meal deal would reduce profit margins per sale but again they may sale more by volume.

From my memory of the trolley services on 4/5 car XC class 221 (I think) one of the challenges the staff faced was getting the trolley through the carriages in the first place when the service is full
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #528 on: January 13, 2015, 11:31:02 »

Have you ever seen evidence of that?  I have heard the opposite.  It's not that they make more sales - it's just the cost of providing the trolley vs buffet/maintenance etc is lower so they actually make "less loss" with a trolley which XC prefer.

A discussion I had with senior Manager said "make more money" with the trolley. Thinking through what you suggest, yes, I guess that statement does also fit your thinking....

XC might get away with a trolley on 3 standard class voyager coaches, but I personally think 1 trolley to serve 7(?) standard class coaches is not sensible, compared to a buffet position half way down the train. 

Won't the obvious place to put the buffet be close/next to the kitchen - that way you could offer hot food from the buffet a la HSTs (High Speed Train) now, when a Travelling Chef was aboard. Separating the catering must lead to inefficiencies?

Part of the problem with buffet sales is people don't want to leave their seats or they might lose them, which shouldn't be an issue on IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.).

The other part is the price of course, which isn't going to change much in mark-up from cost.

I'd also like to see mini-buffets turned and used as coach D instead of F to see if that would improve sales providing it in a more sensible location in standard class.

But that would mean your 1st class customers having to walk further at weekends (assuming same staffing as now - which is why it is where it is.

While it is good to see the quality products that FGW (First Great Western) serve, it would also be good to see something like a ^4 meal deal of sandwich/crisps or fruit and drink. 

There'd be no profit in a price that low on train....but yes, it would be good. Perhaps ^5 deal though? It'll always be cheaper to carry-on - and you will always get a better choice to bring-on. Which is why a trolley with drinks/snacks will do better than a limited-choice buffet....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 13, 2015, 14:51:03 »

And yet, despite all that, Virgin have guaranteed that their IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) will have buffets.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #530 on: January 13, 2015, 15:08:55 »

Maybe don't want a fight with the unions....?

And, as Virgin only have a 10% interest, maybe its Stagecoach's decision?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 13, 2015, 15:46:25 »

Virgin made the announcement. Stagecoach have form - replacing buffets with trolleys on EMT» (East Midlands Trains - about).

Regardless of who made the decision it shows that one operator believes buffets have a future. That's the only firm announcement we've had on catering provision on the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) fleet. Everything else is speculation.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #532 on: January 13, 2015, 16:00:13 »

Isn't that what you do most of the time on here? :-)

Virgin has made the vast majority of the East Coast announcements - maybe that's part of the branding 10%?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 13, 2015, 17:42:34 »

And yet, despite all that, Virgin have guaranteed that their IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) will have buffets.

Could it just come down to the level of sales varying between the two routes? It would not need all that much - if you take 10% off the "just about worth doing" level of sales, it could well drop into the "can't justify this" bin. Differences in duration, stopping intervals, and the kind of people, their onward travel timings, station facilities, all sorts of factors come into it.

I imagine all TOCs (Train Operating Company) would like to offer at least a buffet service for all passengers, as it flatters their self-image, and even if it's not demanded in the franchise it looks good in a beauty contest.

Though I can think of another aspect too: a newcomer taking on a franchise may take an optimistic view (perhaps thinking they can make a go of it where other lesser TOCs have failed). Later on they may throw in the towel. I assume bidders do not get access to catering sales data, so some guesswork (informed by experience, obviously) is inevitable.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 13, 2015, 17:47:45 »

The RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) continues to push hard for the retention of a buffet car, as well as a 'guard' - as I've said all along, this one still has a long way to go before being settled one way or the another!

http://www.rmt.org.uk/campaigns/rail/intercity-express-defend-services-and-safety/

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #535 on: January 13, 2015, 18:29:37 »

I don't think there's any chance of the guard/train manager/etc not being retained....the catering less so. But a job with trolley is a job from the buffet...maybe different grade/salary, but that might be easier to negotiate. And they've said (I think) that the 1st class host is being retained too
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 13, 2015, 20:54:43 »

I don't think there's any chance of the guard/train manager/etc not being retained....the catering less so. But a job with trolley is a job from the buffet...maybe different grade/salary, but that might be easier to negotiate. And they've said (I think) that the 1st class host is being retained too

I would hope so too. We've discussed the role of the TM(resolve) elsewhere, and agreed that it is an important role in long-distance services for a number of reasons, beginning with safety.

Now, please!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 13, 2015, 11:21:57 »

With or without buffet, the first bit of IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) has arrived! The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) announces the arrival of the delayed IEP at Southampton Docks:

InterCity 125 v Hitachi: What are the UK (United Kingdom)'s new trains like?

By Tom de Castella
BBC News Magazine

The Hitachi 800 training carriage is lifted off a boat

Pendolino probably, perhaps a Javelin, possibly even a Voyager. Not many modern trains are household names in the manner of a Rocket or a Mallard.

A new train is arriving from Japan with big shoes to fill. An early prototype Hitachi Class 800 Super Express will be unloaded at Southampton docks as a first step to replacing the familiar InterCity 125.

Over the next few years, 122 of these hi-tech trains will be assembled at a new plant in County Durham. All will be electric and almost half will be able to switch between running on overhead wires or - where a line has not been electrified - as diesels.

The first trains will run on the Great Western main line from 2017 and the East Coast main line from 2018.

Rail writer Christian Wolmar says the new Hitachi will be the standard UK train over the coming decades. "It is due to become the 747 of the railways."

Under the Intercity Express Programme (IEP), the Department for Transport in 2011 awarded a ^5.7bn contract to Agility Trains, a consortium of Hitachi and infrastructure investor John Laing.

Now, please!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #538 on: March 13, 2015, 11:56:38 »

Wonder why they used a stock shot? I'm sure that's it being loaded in Japan....

On BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) twitter, there's this

and more clearly, this
Sprog

View Profile Email
« Reply #539 on: March 13, 2015, 14:25:43 »

Wonder why they used a stock shot? I'm sure that's it being loaded in japan...

Deff. not a stock photo:

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Rail-News/first-class-800-train-for-iep-lands-in-uk?utm_source=Rail+Technology+Magazine&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=5457537_RTM+Newsletter+Mar+15+Week+2&dm_i=IJS,38Z29,2LIJ5H,BMQ5P,1
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: