Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:49:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Programme (IEP) - ongoing discussion  (Read 743819 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: September 08, 2015, 00:03:11 »

Sticky back plastic I heard.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #601 on: October 26, 2015, 14:18:56 »

Press Release from the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers)....

Taxpayer to foot ^3 million a week bill for trains that can't be used while guards, catering and fleet jobs face the axe

RAIL UNION RMT demanded urgent action this morning after it emerged at the weekend that the taxpayer is set to be lumped with a bill of nearly ^3 million a week to pay Japanese fleet supplier Hitachi for trains that cannot be used on the Great Western routes due to the electrification fiasco.

Hitachi and the Government are known to be exploring a fiercely expensive and problematic option of retro fitting diesel engines to the new fleet as a stop gap but if that proves unworkable the taxpayer will still have to pay Hitachi ^400,000 a day - regardless of whether the trains are used or simply left standing idle. 

RMT has been engaged in a long running dispute with Great Western over the threat to safety, jobs and passenger services that is part of the current fleet proposals.

General Secretary Mick Cash said;

"Our dispute is over the threat to guards jobs and train safety from the door control and despatch procedures on the new trains and we are also fighting similar threats to catering operations and fleet jobs.

"It is now clear that there is no shortage of money to waste on keeping trains idle so there is no excuse for not investing in jobs, safety and services.

"RMT intends to take this issue directly to the Government now with a demand that they end this shambles and protect both staff and the travelling public from wholly unnecessary cuts."
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: October 26, 2015, 14:36:02 »

More on what ChrisB has posted above from the Bath Chronicle website and doubtless other Local World media outlets:

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Taxpayers-face-3m-week-new-electric-trains-stuck/story-28055061-detail/story.html

Taxpayers might have to pay nearly ^3 million a week for new electric trains that will be stuck in storage if the track is not ready in time.

The ^3 billion fleet is due to run on the Great Western Railway from May 2017 but it is now likely that the necessary track upgrades will be delayed.
The Government is obliged to rent the new trains whether the track is ready or not, under a deal between the Department for Transport and manufacturer Hitachi.
Now a document released to a Commons inquiry has revealed that taxpayers will face a bill of up to ^400,000 per day ^2.8 million each week ^ that the London to Swansea line is "not available" to the new Class 801 trains.

It reads: "New electric trains are due to enter service on the route from May 2017, as part of the Intercity Express Programme (IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)).
"The department could incur train rental costs of up to ^400,000 per day if the electrified lines are not available in time."
The document emerged as Philip Rutnam, the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)'s permanent secretary, revealed growing alarm over hold-ups to the Great Western upgrade, in evidence to the public accounts committee (PAC).

MPs (Member of Parliament) were furious to learn that the cost of the project has mushroomed from ^1.6 billion a year ago - and ^874 million in 2013 - to between ^2.5 billion and ^2.8 billion.
But the inquiry was also told it was now "highly likely" that the timetable to electrify to Bristol by 2016, to Cardiff by 2017 and to Swansea by 2018 would be missed.

Mr Rutnam said: "The department, as customer on behalf of taxpayers and passengers, is liable to pay for those trains whether the electrification is ready or not.

"We are clearly very concerned indeed at the prospect that we may have electric trains designed for the Great Western Railway, to bring many, many benefits to passengers, and not be able to use them."

Later, the permanent secretary added: "The electrification has overshot and there is real risk that it will not be ready in time."

Meg Hillier, the PAC's Labour chairwoman, expressed astonishment at the idea there would be "trains potentially with no track to run on".

And, on the overall handling of the project, she said: "It's unbelievable and it's unacceptable that there was such poor planning."

Both Mark Carne, Network Rail's chief executive, and Richard Price, chief executive of the Office of Rail and Road, the regulator, "fell asleep on the job", she added.

Mr Rutnam said the Dft was exploring both "commercial and technical" options to avoid the ^400,000-a-day penalty, adding: "This is right at the top of the department's priority list".
The penalties would not kick in until February 2018, because the first batch of IEP trains - from 2017 - would be 'hybrid', using both diesel and electric power.

Mick Cash, general secretary of rail union the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers), described the situation as a "shambles".

He said: "Our dispute is over the threat to guards jobs and train safety from the door control and despatch procedures on the new trains and we are also fighting similar threats to catering operations and fleet jobs.

"It is now clear that there is no shortage of money to waste on keeping trains idle so there is no excuse for not investing in jobs, safety and services.

"RMT intends to take this issue directly to the Government now with a demand that they end this shambles and protect both staff and the travelling public from wholly unnecessary cuts."

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 26, 2015, 15:39:55 »

I'm absolutely lost for words. Where are the required resignations of the top people concerned. Do people not fall on their swords any more?

It's looking like we have enough material now to commission a new series of Thomas the Tank Engine  Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue Tongue
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 16:29:49 by SandTEngineer » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 26, 2015, 15:53:00 »

I'm absolutely lost for words. Where are the required resignations of the top people concerned. Do people not fall on their swords any more?

It's looking like we have enough material now to commision a new series of Thomas the Tank Engine  Shocked Roll Eyes Tongue Tongue

Or Monty Pythons Flying Circus!

Calm down, SandTEngineer. a crucial part of the diatribe says:

Taxpayers might have to pay nearly ^3 million a week for new electric trains that will be stuck in storage if the track is not ready in time.

Or to put it another way, if my auntie had nuts, she'd be my uncle.

If the upgrade to Bristol is completed by January 2017, then IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) will treat us all to the benefits of electric travel. The bi-mode jobs are coming first anyway, aren't they? So long as all is well by February 2018, then away we go. That's over 2 years away.

Away with the rose-tinted glasses for now.

Now, please!
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 26, 2015, 16:19:54 »

MPs (Member of Parliament) were furious to learn that the cost of the project has mushroomed from ^1.6 billion a year ago - and ^874 million in 2013 - to between ^2.5 billion and ^2.8 billion.
But the inquiry was also told it was now "highly likely" that the timetable to electrify to Bristol by 2016, to Cardiff by 2017 and to Swansea by 2018 would be missed.

I hope there happens to be a friendly Chinese government around when HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) hits the buffers headlines in 2048 or whenever - not that I shall be around to be concerned  Grin
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 17:24:33 by PhilWakely » Logged
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 26, 2015, 16:23:29 »

I may still be around in 2048, but apparently only if I give up bacon.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: October 26, 2015, 17:01:31 »

I may still be around in 2048, but apparently only if I give up bacon.

I'm sticking to beer. It's made from flowers and cereals - practically muesli.

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 26, 2015, 19:23:37 »

Beer, wine and cider ^ got to be three of your five a day right there!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #609 on: October 27, 2015, 10:33:04 »

Calm down, SandTEngineer. a crucial part of the diatribe says:

If the upgrade to Bristol is completed by January 2017, then IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) will treat us all to the benefits of electric travel. The bi-mode jobs are coming first anyway, aren't they? So long as all is well by February 2018, then away we go. That's over 2 years away.
Calm down?? Yes and no. Yes, the bi-modes are coming first, and as long as London-Bristol (via Bath and via Parkway) is done by the time the psudeo-electrics start arriving there shouldn't be a problem with units standing idle. The 'no' is that, as far as I know, taxpayers WILL have to pay nearly ^3m per week regardless of whether or not the track is ready (assuming that is the cost of the trains), the only difference is if the wires haven't reached Bristol we won't be getting anything for that ^3m.

Ah, the joys of the part-private, part-public railway. There is no clear accoutablity and everyone can blame each other (although I think in the case of the cost of these trains the finger points towards the DfT» (Department for Transport - about)).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
John R

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 27, 2015, 10:50:59 »

Absolutely no hope of the wires reaching to Bristol in 15 months.  The best that might happen is wires as far as Swindon and then the bi-modes run on diesel from there to Temple Meads (and therefore at lower speed as far as Box). But even that is I suspect unlikely.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #611 on: October 27, 2015, 10:55:17 »

The 'no' is that, as far as I know, taxpayers WILL have to pay nearly ^3m per week regardless of whether or not the track is ready (assuming that is the cost of the trains), the only difference is if the wires haven't reached Bristol we won't be getting anything for that ^3m.

Err, I don't think so. The ^3m/week falls on the taxpayer because the wires aren't ready & GWR (Great Western Railway) can't run them. If the wires are ready & they can be run, then the trains are with GWR along with the ^3m/week hire cost, surely? (Or whatever deal the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) has done with GWR for these costs to be covered).
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 27, 2015, 11:25:54 »

Germaine Greer has an opinion on this topic, but perhaps this isn't the place to delve into that one...

My auntie has nuts, but then again she is a squirrel.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #613 on: October 27, 2015, 11:50:38 »

The 'no' is that, as far as I know, taxpayers WILL have to pay nearly ^3m per week regardless of whether or not the track is ready (assuming that is the cost of the trains), the only difference is if the wires haven't reached Bristol we won't be getting anything for that ^3m.

Err, I don't think so. The ^3m/week falls on the taxpayer because the wires aren't ready & GWR (Great Western Railway) can't run them. If the wires are ready & they can be run, then the trains are with GWR along with the ^3m/week hire cost, surely? (Or whatever deal the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) has done with GWR for these costs to be covered).
Whether or not GWR can run them, I doubt who pays the hire cost will change (unless there is something in the franchise agreement which lets GWR wriggle out of paying it, but I'd be supprised if there is). Taxpayer pays via GWR either way is my guess.

Absolutely no hope of the wires reaching to Bristol in 15 months.  The best that might happen is wires as far as Swindon and then the bi-modes run on diesel from there to Temple Meads (and therefore at lower speed as far as Box). But even that is I suspect unlikely.
Wires as far as Swindon by December 2016? Then Oxford, Newbury and Bristol in Dec 2017, Cardiff in Dec 2018 and Swansea in Dec 2019? If that happens, the key phases will each be a year late, and GWR would probably be able to use the new trains. If the wires are more than a year late then it might get messy, but hopefully they aren't more than a year behind with the wiring.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:57:39 by Rhydgaled » Logged

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #614 on: October 27, 2015, 11:52:16 »

Likely to be only the bit above what theyre currently paying for their HSTs (High Speed Train)....I can't see the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) giving GWR (Great Western Railway) free trains to run around.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: