Opening of Sapperton Canal Tunnel

Train RunningDelayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 00:00:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[282] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[233] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[48] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[42] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[20] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[19] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Programme (IEP) - ongoing discussion  (Read 745326 times)
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: November 25, 2015, 01:30:30 »

Oh, I just remembered passing North Pole depot on the way out of Paddington one evening last week, and noticed a train inside the sheds there. Is that an IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) hiding in there, or is it something else? Couldn't really see anything other than 'a train'!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #646 on: November 25, 2015, 01:45:48 »

Thanks, chrisr_75 - that's a really useful description!  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #647 on: November 25, 2015, 03:33:15 »

Oh, I just remembered passing North Pole depot on the way out of Paddington one evening last week, and noticed a train inside the sheds there. Is that an IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) hiding in there, or is it something else? Couldn't really see anything other than 'a train'!

Yes, there is indeed on IEP in there - not really hiding very well, as it's been documented in certain press quarters such as Rail Magazine

Five-car 800002 has arrived at North Pole depot in West London.

Hitachi Rail Europe will operate the depot, which was last used by Eurostar in 2007, to maintain Intercity Express Programme trains used by Great Western Railway. It is planned that the '800s' will be introduced from 2017.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: November 25, 2015, 09:40:57 »

Thanks, chrisr_75 - that's a really useful description!  Wink Cheesy Grin

Well, the view inside on a dark night through fairly narrow windows isn't particularly good and I only caught a brief glimpse of the side of a train!

Thanks Graham for clarifying - I don't frequent the rail press, so hadn't picked up on this. I guess it's pretty much marooned in there for the time being?
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #649 on: November 25, 2015, 10:05:51 »

Hitachi has worked to a minimum ceiling height of 1.9 metres - obviously in the constrained areas such as gangways.
Sounds compareable to the class 390 Pendolinos then (my head was touching the ceiling when I tried to stand under the pantograph well, I banged my head on one of the overhead racks once as well).

Did I mention the small windows?
How small are they exactly? Not as small as Pendolino ones I hope.

Because of the high floor in all the coaches, except in the end pantograph coaches, Hitachi has worked to a minimum ceiling height of 1.9 metres - obviously in the constrained areas such as gangways. Even so this struck me as being a bit low for many western males.
I thought the high floors were specifically to put these new eco-friendly diesel engines under, so would not appear in 801s. Or is that not the way they have done it?
There's still going to be at least one diesel engine in the 801s. I thought they had decided there were so many engine-equipped cars that it wasn't worth having a third basic design of vehicle (driving vehice, engine car and non-engine intermediate) so just have one design for the driving vehicles and one standard design for all intermediate coaches. It thus supprises me to read that diesel engines can't be retro-fitted to the other intermediate coaches. Not sure about the new diesel engines being 'eco friendly', I thought it was more they are big because they have to output quite a bit of power (although there's also the EU» (European Union - about) emmissions regs, which seem to be more to do with filtering out stuff that mucks up air quality for pepole at the lineside/roadside rather than greenhouse gas emmissions).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: November 25, 2015, 10:28:45 »

There's still going to be at least one diesel engine in the 801s. I thought they had decided there were so many engine-equipped cars that it wasn't worth having a third basic design of vehicle (driving vehice, engine car and non-engine intermediate) so just have one design for the driving vehicles and one standard design for all intermediate coaches. It thus supprises me to read that diesel engines can't be retro-fitted to the other intermediate coaches. Not sure about the new diesel engines being 'eco friendly', I thought it was more they are big because they have to output quite a bit of power (although there's also the EU» (European Union - about) emmissions regs, which seem to be more to do with filtering out stuff that mucks up air quality for pepole at the lineside/roadside rather than greenhouse gas emmissions).

Of course, and now I think about it the comments I read earlier were about the 801s (at least) having a varying floor level. But that was probably just someone's speculation.

This is part of what last year's ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) Rolling Stock Strategy document said about NRMM:
47. It is widely expected that present and future EU legislation regarding emissions from diesel
engines (Directive 97/68/EC and its subsequent amendments, implemented in Great Britain as
the Non-Road Mobile Machinery (Emission of Gaseous and Particulate Pollutants) Regulations
1999 and 2013, known as NRMM) will increasingly make it difficult to procure and operate
new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) having underfloor diesel engines, with an affordable business case.
^ It is widely considered that it would be impossible to fit a Stage IIIB compliant engine of
adequate power to any of the existing British DMU types.

IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) has NRMM IIIB specified for all traction diesel engines.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 25, 2015, 11:09:24 »

There's still going to be at least one diesel engine in the 801s. I thought they had decided there were so many engine-equipped cars that it wasn't worth having a third basic design of vehicle (driving vehice, engine car and non-engine intermediate) so just have one design for the driving vehicles and one standard design for all intermediate coaches.
Actually there are three designs of vehicles! Working inwards from the end driving/pantograph car the next coach has a 10 deg ramped floor from the vestibule up to the raised floor level which then continues along the train to the corresponding ramp down at the other end.

So there are the pantograph car shell, the ramped floor shell and the high floor shell.

A couple of other points which follow from the high floor. There is apparently no room on the roof for the 25kV vacuum circuit breaker (its usual position on UK (United Kingdom) rolling stock) so it will be mounted in a box on the underframe. There are two power busbars: a 25kV one along the roof connecting the pantographs and a 2,600v DC (Direct Current) link to supply hotel power to all the coaches, and traction power for the motor coaches, from the transformer and rectifier coaches.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: November 25, 2015, 13:48:55 »

Actually there are three designs of vehicles! Working inwards from the end driving/pantograph car the next coach has a 10 deg ramped floor from the vestibule up to the raised floor level which then continues along the train to the corresponding ramp down at the other end.

So there are the pantograph car shell, the ramped floor shell and the high floor shell.
Interesting, I thought all the intermediate (high-floor) coaches would have vestibules floors at the same level as the (low-floor) driving vehicles, with ramps in every intermediate coach (so the step up from platform to vestibule would be the same on every coach).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 25, 2015, 14:11:12 »

How much higher are the floors than in existing cocahes?
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 25, 2015, 22:18:52 »

How much higher are the floors than in existing cocahes?

I don't have my notes to hand, but if I remember correctly it's about 6 inches.

Interesting, I thought all the intermediate (high-floor) coaches would have vestibules floors at the same level as the (low-floor) driving vehicles, with ramps in every intermediate coach (so the step up from platform to vestibule would be the same on every coach).

That's what I had also thought but a table was shown of the different body type code numbers and a little pictogram of a slope and as far as I could see only two coaches in each rake had these.

If the high floor level does go all the way through it will be quite a step up to get into the intermediate coaches.

I really hope that I misinterpreted the slide...!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 03, 2015, 21:24:57 »

Railway Gazette have had a poke about in North Pole depot. Tweeted some pictures of the Class 800 within:

https://twitter.com/railwaygazette/status/672024453291909120

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 03, 2015, 21:45:52 »

How much higher are the floors than in existing coaches?
I would say that an extra 6" would be unusable at Foregate Street.
A sudden vision of these trains not being allowed to stop there.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #657 on: December 04, 2015, 10:21:41 »

From a description Roger Ford gave in Modern Railways i believe the floor slopes down to the doors at each end of the carriage.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 04, 2015, 12:14:56 »

Ah, the mythical double-deck trains, with passengers on the upper deck and the engines on the lower deck.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #659 on: December 05, 2015, 21:50:50 »

How much higher are the floors than in existing coaches?
I would say that an extra 6" would be unusable at Foregate Street.
A sudden vision of these trains not being allowed to stop there.

It's probably best that we don't tell Btline about that, then.  Lips sealed Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: