17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
18:18 Carmarthen to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 20:23:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[163] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[97] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] IETs at Melksham
[18] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[17] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[16] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Programme (IEP) - ongoing discussion  (Read 744982 times)
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: May 26, 2016, 16:38:20 »

A DfT» (Department for Transport - about) written answer to PMQ has finally confirmed the expected delivery of all GW (Great Western) IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) as bi-mode variants:

Following the receipt of a formal proposal from Agility Trains West Ltd, My Rt Hon Friend, the Secretary of State for Transport has now approved the conversion of the 21 Class 801 Intercity Express Programme units scheduled for deployment on the Great Western to bi-mode operation. This will enable passengers in the South West and Wales to benefit as soon as possible from brand new trains which will deliver more capacity and more comfort. The first 36 trains will be bi-mode as planned.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2016-05-18/37456/

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 26, 2016, 17:26:00 »

What of their top speed capability? Will the diesels be uprated to run at 125mph where line speed allows. Or will the 'benefit as soon as possible' be slower journey times?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 26, 2016, 20:40:40 »

What of their top speed capability? Will the diesels be uprated to run at 125mph where line speed allows. Or will the 'benefit as soon as possible' be slower journey times?

Provided the wires are up as far as Bristol Parkway at least then I reckon a bi-mode running on diesel will match or beat the point-to-point timings, and beat the station dwell times of the current HST (High Speed Train) fleet west of BPW» (Bristol Parkway - next trains). I doubt they'd be huge differences east of there as well - especially if the extra trains with fewer stops can operate as planned.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
John R

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 26, 2016, 20:59:23 »

I seem to recall confirmation a few months ago that they would be running at 125mph, although I can't put my finger on where at the moment.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 26, 2016, 22:22:13 »

I seem to recall confirmation a few months ago that they would be running at 125mph, although I can't put my finger on where at the moment.

It was in parliamentary answers - see here. Basically, if there is enough power to run at 125 mi/hr, given the gradient, the train will do it when asked to.

But note that was said of class 800s, not 9-car bi-modes (whatever class they are). That statement should apply in both cases, but the power needed and available are both different. Three engines per 5 cars is a little more than five per nine cars, but then the drag per car is less for the longer train. So it's not clear which would run faster overall.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #710 on: May 27, 2016, 06:12:07 »

In the longer term, "all GWR (Great Western Railway) IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) are bimode" does allow for diversions of Bath and Bristol trains via the Berks and Hants, and Paddington trains into Waterloo or Marylebone when there's ongoing engineering, signal problems between Swindon and Chippenham, or one of those too-frequent 'person hit by train' incidents on the normal run into London.  Of course, once the current engineering's completed, there will be nothing to do done for a further 30 years and then we'll get another backlog.     Also relieves the cascade / releases HSTs (High Speed Train) to Scotland, and has us some bright shiny new trains in places like Chippenham and Bath by May 2020 - not that that would have been a consideration at all.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 27, 2016, 08:25:22 »

Another scenario is that as electrification is completed and extended, the bi-modes are cascaded onto other part electrified routes and replaced with new all electric trains.  Particularly as, I assume, that the bi-modes are more expensive than all electric.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 27, 2016, 09:28:13 »

It's in the spec that bi-modes can have their engines removed (bar one) and become easily converted to electric units.  I should imagine that is what will happen when the wires reach Swansea and Temple Meads via Bath.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: May 27, 2016, 13:08:10 »

It's in the spec that bi-modes can have their engines removed (bar one) and become easily converted to electric units.  I should imagine that is what will happen when the wires reach Swansea and Temple Meads via Bath.

I was going to say that they could be cascaded to cross-country or another franchise, but remembering that they are the initial batch procured by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) that were a lot more expensive and of a lesser spec than the AT300s, then I suspect you're right and they'll just have their engines removed. 
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: May 29, 2016, 10:58:21 »

What is the maximum length IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) that can run in passenger service ?

I appreciate that train lengths are unlikely to routinely exceed 10 vehicles, partly due to platform length limitations. But would the odd 5+5+5 or 9+5 formation be possible ?

The ability to run the odd extra length train at especially busy times could be valuable. Something like 14 or 15 coaches from Paddington to Taunton with 5 vehicles being detached at Taunton.
AFAIK (as far as I know) one platform at Paddington can take 15 coaches, I recall Diesel loco+14+steamer and tender.
Taunton has plenty of room.

I have previously doubted that enough stock will be available to ensure that all busy services are full length, but of course more might be ordered ? With rapidly growing passenger numbers and a limited number of paths, longer trains are going to be more needed.

Also is it yet known if the IEPs and the AT300s will be able to run in multiple ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 29, 2016, 11:16:35 »

Quail would seem to imply that Taunton, Exeter St D and Plymouth could take the longer trains. So platform length may not be a limitation, although other operational aspects and technical aspects of the train could still be.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 29, 2016, 11:20:45 »

What is the maximum length IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) that can run in passenger service ?

The requirement for passenger workings is quite simple:
3.2 Multiple working
TS231 All IEP Trains must deliver full Multiple Working in normal passenger service with other IEP Trains (of any type) within the following constraints;
^ Up to a maximum of two IEP Units; and
^ Up to a maximum total multiple length of 312m.
And when operating in Multiple Working within such constraints, there shall be full control of such systems throughout the train that are capable of being controlled from the cab of a single IEP Unit such that there is no difference in functionality between a single IEP Unit and an IEP Train formed from two IEP Units coupled together.
312 m is 12-car length, of course. However, as always with specifications, nothing requires longer trains not to be possible should the supplier wish to provide for that.
(There are much more complicated requirements for rescue with mixed types.)

Also is it yet known if the IEPs and the AT300s will be able to run in multiple ?

I guess that would depend on the contract for the newer trains, but it would be very odd of they are not "IEP Units"s in the sense used above.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 12:11:17 by stuving » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 29, 2016, 11:41:25 »

Quail would seem to imply that Taunton, Exeter St D and Plymouth could take the longer trains. So platform length may not be a limitation, although other operational aspects and technical aspects of the train could still be.

According to the Sectional Appendix, Paddington's longest platform is 307m, Exeter's is 323m, and Plymouth's is 300m.  Though the operational length would likely be shorter when you consider the location of signals, stopping margins, and so on.  A 10-car IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) train weights in at around the 255m mark, so I would doubt that would ever be exceeded in the short to medium term given the number of locations available for longer and the number of platforms at those locations that would be suitable.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 29, 2016, 12:02:21 »

Paddington Platforms 1-5 starting signals are going to be moved out to allow longer trains to use them. Need to dig out the signalling scheme plan to check by how much though......
John R

View Profile
« Reply #719 on: May 29, 2016, 12:33:05 »

According to the Sectional Appendix, Paddington's longest platform is 307m, Exeter's is 323m, and Plymouth's is 300m.  Though the operational length would likely be shorter when you consider the location of signals, stopping margins, and so on.  A 10-car IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) train weights in at around the 255m mark, so I would doubt that would ever be exceeded in the short to medium term given the number of locations available for longer and the number of platforms at those locations that would be suitable.

Ah, just looked at the notes for Quail, and they are based on a 20m nominal length per car.  So somewhat misleading when considering a 26m IEP!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: