Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:35 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:51:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Programme (IEP) - ongoing discussion  (Read 743725 times)
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: June 30, 2016, 09:57:00 »

I saw this on the local points west insert during Breakfast this morning it's forming part of a service from Bristol TM(resolve) to Paddington it involves a change of Train at Reading I think.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 30, 2016, 10:22:37 »

There is an HST (High Speed Train) from Bristol (one of the green ones) running a special to mark the 175th birthday of Box Tunnel today.   It is due to run through to platform 2 at London Paddington.
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 30, 2016, 10:27:30 »

I saw this on the local points west insert during Breakfast this morning it's forming part of a service from Bristol TM(resolve) to Paddington it involves a change of Train at Reading I think.

Could be this one http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/V18264/2016/06/30/advanced Leaves Bristol TM at 11:44.

If this is too compare HST (High Speed Train) to IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) what happens if the guests prefer the HST?  Smiley Smiley Of course could be just a way to get the guests from Bristol to Reading and I wonder why the IEP can't run Bristol to Paddington.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: June 30, 2016, 10:29:22 »

Is the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) cleared for passenger use yet?
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 30, 2016, 11:19:48 »

Is the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) cleared for passenger use yet?

Good point and I don't know.
I assumed that this would be covering journalists etc. but of course could be just a demonstration run with no passengers.
Of course one should never assume.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #740 on: June 30, 2016, 11:20:42 »

indeed. Are they even fitted out yet?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #741 on: June 30, 2016, 13:57:55 »

Well, it did carry media from Reading back to Paddington

Rail magazine reports thus -

Great Western Railway unveiled its first Intercity Express Programme (IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)) Class 800 at Reading on June 30, carrying invited passengers to London Paddington. The five-car bi-mode train (800004) is the first of 86 trains ordered for the Great Western franchise. The trains will enter traffic from July 2017, introduced initially on services to Bristol and South Wales.

A major timetable change is planned for 2018, and by the end of the GWR (Great Western Railway) franchise the IEP and AT300 fleets will have replaced the five Class 180s and 54 High Speed Trains. GWR will take delivery of 36 five-car bi-mode trains that will enter traffic first, followed by 21 nine-car bi-mode trains (originally ordered as electric multiple units) and 29 AT300s that GWR is including in the ‘800 series’ of trains. They are being built by Hitachi, and are owned by Agility Trains. Depots for the fleet have been constructed at Swansea and Stoke Gifford (Bristol), while Hitachi has taken over the former Eurostar depot at North Pole to house the IEPs.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 30, 2016, 15:14:23 »

It did indeed after the invited guests had been treated to brunch on one of the green HSTs (High Speed Train) - seen here at Swindon.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 30, 2016, 15:34:17 »

The IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) arrived on time into Platform 1 at Paddington with the front unit named Isambard Kingdom Brunel and the rear Sir Daniel Gooch.

From the outside up to roof the coaches are not that dissimilar to the Class 180s but of course the power units are very different.

You wouldn't want to be reforming these sets too often with all these jumpers!

I spoke to some of those who travelled from Reading. The general consensus was the seats in standard are pretty hard and luggage space might be at a premium on busier services although the overhead luggage racks are bigger. The train ran on diesel power the whole way from Reading to London Paddington but apparently the engines weren't that audible inside.

Standard class appears to have decent legroom, while first class has some large tables and power points between the seats.

Spoke to some catering crew and while not using it in anger today they liked the look of the galley and the seating arrangements in first class.

Needless to say it was a bit of a scrum with a lot of media there with everyone trying to keep out of everyone else's shots.

ITV Meridian interviewing transport secretary Patrick McLoughlin

I had a good first impression as someone who didn't ride on it. It certainly sounded quieter than other trains as it edged into Paddington, the air conditioning was still keeping the train cool after nearly an hour of standing in the platform and it didn't feel too cramped when walking through the coaches.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #744 on: June 30, 2016, 15:45:57 »

Energy goes live Reading/Didcot for this weekend. Maybe testing starts mext week?

The first 387 is due in a couple of weeks, Rail also reported
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: June 30, 2016, 16:06:22 »

Possibly testing on diesel, but testing on electric will be a while away yet.  Going live doesn't mean it's ready for trains to use it yet.  I'm sure 'Electric Train' can elaborate as to what will still need to be done.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 30, 2016, 16:08:31 »

Agreed however the thought from some onboard was the train might use the overhead from Airport Junction but given that platform 1 at Paddington isn't wired, perhaps no surprise it didn't.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 30, 2016, 16:20:39 »

No surprise at all.  They'd just have been keeping things as simple as possible and keeping fingers crossed that there was no embarrassing failure!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 30, 2016, 16:26:20 »

I think there were some relieved people when the old pulled in next to the new!

Note the impromptu IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) stop board...
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 30, 2016, 18:49:26 »

Many thanks for the great pictures Bob.

Having just watched BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) South Today Paul Clifton's report, I have to say I agree with him that First Class looks very grey. After the superb refurb of First class by GWR (Great Western Railway) to the HST (High Speed Train) fleet, it looks very ordinary. However, I bet the ride on these new trains once running on the overhead wires will be great that will go along way for making up for a basic looking interior.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: