Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:55 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:12:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Programme (IEP) - ongoing discussion  (Read 743741 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: August 08, 2016, 15:50:10 »

I would presume 5 car.

Certainly some confusion out there.  Ollie's been told 9-car, the article Adelante_CCT linked to says 9-car, ChrisB, TrainSpy and Rob T on here say 9-car.  However several posters on the wnxx forum are confident of 5-car including Mark Hopwood apparently confirming that to staff yesterday. 

Looks like the wnxx forum have conceded they are probably wrong, so looking like they'll be 9-car sets.  Excellent news.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #796 on: August 31, 2016, 13:29:16 »

I think we'd worked this out already.....from RAIL

GWR (Great Western Railway) electrification uncertainty raises timetable issues

The ability of Great Western Railway’s Class 800 bi-mode electric multiple units to meet current and future timetables is under scrutiny by the train operator, due to their maximum speed in diesel mode of 100mph.Network Rail’s electrification of the Great Western Main Line is taking place on a discontinuous basis, and the trains will have to run on diesel power between energised sections at potentially lower maximum speeds than the current High Speed Trains, which can operate at up to 125mph.However, uncertainty about exactly which sections will go live (and when) means that planning future timetables when the fleet begins entering service from next year is proving extremely difficult. The Class 802s have a design speed of 125mph under electric traction.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: August 31, 2016, 19:49:32 »

If these additional sets are to be 9 car as now seems probable, then that is indeed good news.

I still have considerable reservations regarding the downgrading from a buffet to a trolley, the reduced first class, and the limited number of tables, but 9 cars is better than 5.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: September 05, 2016, 11:49:04 »

I think we'd worked this out already.....from RAIL

GWR (Great Western Railway) electrification uncertainty raises timetable issues

The ability of Great Western Railway’s Class 800 bi-mode electric multiple units to meet current and future timetables is under scrutiny by the train operator, due to their maximum speed in diesel mode of 100mph.Network Rail’s electrification of the Great Western Main Line is taking place on a discontinuous basis, and the trains will have to run on diesel power between energised sections at potentially lower maximum speeds than the current High Speed Trains, which can operate at up to 125mph.However, uncertainty about exactly which sections will go live (and when) means that planning future timetables when the fleet begins entering service from next year is proving extremely difficult. The Class 802s have a design speed of 125mph under electric traction.

Acceleration / deceleration will also be an issue under diesel power, presumably.

Now, please!
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: September 05, 2016, 14:06:06 »

We discussed the issue of journey time being extended when IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) bi-modes take over from HST (High Speed Train)’s back at the end of April, in the Across the West – GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification thread, following my tongue-in-cheek suggested PR (Public Relations) line of “here are your new trains, it’s now 10 minutes longer to London”.

An exaggeration of course, and we agreed certainly not applicable to N Cotswold services, but in the early days it may not be far off the truth for S Wales services if IEP’s are used before the wires go live to Bristol Parkway. 
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: September 05, 2016, 21:52:47 »

Acceleration would indeed be slower under diesel power, but surely Deceleration would be the same under diesel or electric ? The brakes should work just the same and would not "know" what power source has accelerated the train.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #801 on: September 05, 2016, 23:39:17 »

Acceleration would indeed be slower under diesel power, but surely Deceleration would be the same under diesel or electric ? The brakes should work just the same and would not "know" what power source has accelerated the train.

Not necessarily as I would assume that the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) would have regenerative braking under the wires. Can you have that under diesel power?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: September 05, 2016, 23:53:50 »

Not necessarily as I would assume that the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) would have regenerative braking under the wires. Can you have that under diesel power?

If you are still running with traction motors you could still have rheostatic braking - where the current generated goes into a resistor (rheostat). Don't know if IEP's do that
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 06, 2016, 09:32:55 »

If you are still running with traction motors you could still have rheostatic braking - where the current generated goes into a resistor (rheostat). Don't know if IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.)'s do that

let's hope not.  Isn't it the roof mounted rheostats that short out on Voyagers when sprayed with sea water at Dawlish?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 06, 2016, 11:41:27 »

AIUI (as I understand it) from magazine articles all IEPs (Intercity Express Program / Project.) will have some resistive braking capability, but the 802s will have higher rated resistance banks as they will be used more on that class.

Paul
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 06, 2016, 15:53:35 »

but the 802s will have higher rated resistance banks as they will be used more on that class.

Paul

Please tell me that they will not be on the roof or otherwise in the way of salt spray!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 06, 2016, 16:26:15 »

I doubt there's anywhere else they could be - as they need air cooling.

Paul
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 06, 2016, 16:53:41 »

Paul

So do people, in the summer, and they are allowed inside.

I think the ballast resistance may be quite small, and primarily needed to make the bidirectional inverter work properly, and indeed work without going pop if it momentarily isn't connected to a 25 kV supply.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 12:18:59 by stuving » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 21, 2016, 10:43:07 »

So deceleration may indeed be a slight issue...

Now, please!
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 21, 2016, 11:25:53 »

Paul

I agree,  There isn't anywhere else obvious to put them.  I predict that there will be problems at high tide. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: