I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:29:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Programme (IEP) - ongoing discussion  (Read 743770 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: February 17, 2017, 14:49:46 »

I think they're designed to be seen at a distance so people will be able to scan and locate them quicker, helping to reduce the bunching that currently happens when passengers slowly shuffle down the carriage looking at each seat separately.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: February 17, 2017, 16:30:22 »

Red green colour blindness is why the British electric wiring (flex) colours were changed in the 1970s from red-black-green for live-neutral-earth to brown-blue-green/yellow(stripe). Imagine mixing earth and live up in a plug!  Shocked

Fixed wiring changed to suit just a decade ago and is now a European standard.

I think the choice of a spiral stripe on the earth wire was to make that identifiable with limited colour vision, but not the rest of the colours. That new earth colour may even have been introduced here before the other changes.

I think I can see the logic of all the colours chosen, based on the idea that the main objective is to ensure the earth wire (and so the casing) gets connected to earth (this was before built-on plugs).  Provided the right wire is connected to earth, which wire inside the device is live and which is neutral should not matter. So the new earth colour should be right in as many countries as possible (hence green, I think) plus its helpful stripe. The other two colours must not be used for the earth anywhere, or else someone might reason (as I just did) that that one must be earthed and the other two don't matter.

Both black and red were earth colours (red in Germany), and light blue wasn't - I think the French may have already picked that for neutral.  I've always been surprised that brown wasn't used for earth somewhere, and I've just heard it was - in Britain, pre-war. But there were so many systems in use then, that I think only the national standards were considered.

The European agreement to change the colours for appliance leads was made as long ago as 1968, so before the UK (United Kingdom) joined the EEC. Its implementation was spread over the next ten years, so it overlapped with our EEC membership. The reason was of course to support a "single market" in appliances (still long before the European Single Market), while removing the obvious hazards.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:41:24 by stuving » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: February 17, 2017, 17:15:23 »

The green yellow striped core for earth was indeed introduced so that persons with poor colour vision could recognise the earth.
There was a transition period when green/yellow for earth coincided with red and black for live and neutral.

Those with significantly defective colour vision should not be working on the fixed electrical wiring of a building, but may need to safely wire a plug, especially before virtually all appliances came with a fitted plug.
Interchanging live and earth could have disastrous consequences, confusing live and neutral does not really matter for a portable appliance.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: February 17, 2017, 17:18:41 »

Electrical Appliance (Colour Code) Regulations 1969, statutory instrument No. 310 was what changed UK (United Kingdom) appliance wiring, although there was a transition period.

As has been mentioned old German appliance flex wiring colours had red for the earth and there could be a rather 'spectacular' effect if this was mistakenly wired to the live in the UK.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: February 17, 2017, 23:08:26 »

Many years ago my dad taught me how to wire a plug. The first two letters of blue are BL which stands for Bottom Left and the first two letters of brown are BR (British Rail(ways)) which stands for Bottom Right. The other wire (green / yellow) if it is there, obviously goes in the one remaining pin.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: February 18, 2017, 02:04:38 »

Wiring a plug is no longer routinely taught in schools. I remember it was one of the first things I was taught in science lessons as an 11 year old in my first year of Secondary School in 1984.

I guess the reason it is no longer routinely taught is that, by law since 1994, all 13A or less appliances running off the domestic mains supply must be sold with a plug already fitted.

The only appliances I've wired to the mains in recent years are electric cookers to their dedicated circuit.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 07, 2017, 17:53:34 »

This was linked to on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum.  Thought it would be of interest here: http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201703060043.html  Wonder if there will be as many spectators when they arrive here (yes, I know some have already).... Roll Eyes Tongue
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 18:00:15 by SandTEngineer » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #907 on: March 07, 2017, 18:51:08 »

From that article, I note

The train car is one of 866 carriages commissioned by the British government department for the new high-speed railway network.

The Kasado factory, known for building Shinkansen trains, has shipped 240 cars to date.

? - I thought that only the first few were being built in Japan and most in the North East - ?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 07, 2017, 19:07:20 »

Is it that some are built completely in Japan, and some are body shells for internal fit out and completion over here?

Paul
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 07, 2017, 20:14:32 »

From that article, I note

The train car is one of 866 carriages commissioned by the British government department for the new high-speed railway network.

The Kasado factory, known for building Shinkansen trains, has shipped 240 cars to date.

? - I thought that only the first few were being built in Japan and most in the North East - ?

Me too! However it goes, it's nice to see that admiration of trains is not just a British thing.

Now, please!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #910 on: March 07, 2017, 20:19:30 »

Aren't all the Virgin sets being built over there?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 09, 2017, 05:58:23 »

Don't think so.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #912 on: March 09, 2017, 13:39:57 »

Some interesting points from the link:
  • The 800 is in GWR (Great Western Railway) green (I thought they were being built in grey with green stickers applied when they get to GWR)
  • The 800 seems quite close to completion (I thought all the ones being built in full in Japan had already come to the UK (United Kingdom))
  • The 800 is described as being for "Britain’s new high-speed railway network". Is the GWML (Great Western Main Line) about to be ripped up and rebuilt with a 200mph linespeed?

I thought that only the first few were being built in Japan and most in the North East
The UK plant is just an assembly plant, the bodyshells for the entire fleet were always supposed to be built in Japan; something about the welding technique being a trade secret that isn't allowed to leave Japan I think. The 800 pictured in the link does look like more than just a bodyshell though as stated above.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 10, 2017, 11:23:31 »

I'm hearing that GWR (Great Western Railway) are waiting on the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) and Hitachi to decide whether they want to run the 800s and their intended power, or at full power - 'muzzled' or 'unmuzzled' are the buzzwords being used - and as such they are preparing two separate timetables for this December.  Unmuzzled means timings similar to today's HST (High Speed Train)'s until electrification is extended beyond Didcot, Muzzled means extended journey times.

In fact, there might be a third timetable if the electro-magnetic interference issues between Reading and Didcot can't be resolved on time!

Launch still planned for mid-October on a London to Bristol/Taunton diagram, with a more comprehensive service from December, including three 180 diagrams on the North Cotswold route.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #914 on: March 10, 2017, 11:39:46 »

Yup, that agrees with what I know. (was thought to be confidential, hence no comment from me previously)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: