Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:48:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 78
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercity Express Programme (IEP) - ongoing discussion  (Read 743750 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: March 10, 2017, 20:11:00 »

What happens at ambient temperature of 40 degrees ? entirely achievable in the southwest even if improbable in Stonehaven.

Really? That's a higher air temperature than has ever been recorded in Britain, let alone for for the southwest where the official record is 35.4 deg.

In any case, on the few rare days that happens, the risk of track buckling is such that trains will be hit by a lot of speed restrictions.

Incidentally, the main effect of high and low temperatures will be a high auxiliary load, all of which has to be supplied by the diesels when self-powered. Obviously that's worse for the cold limit, as heating will take more power than cooling.

With fewer engines than cars, the auxiliary load takes away a higher fraction of prime power than in a 180 or 220. And don't those use engine exhaust heat for the train cabins? I'm assuming that would help too little to be worth doing on 800s. I'm also assuming Hitachi are not being really sneaky, and using reversible chillers - though it's not impossible.

There are other tricks that can help - for example the option of shutting down heating (or cooling) during the relatively short periods of full acceleration. Again, I have no idea if that is included.

My estimated maximum air temperature of 40 degrees is indeed appreciably in excess of the highest recorded by the Met office. Met office stations are generally located in relatively open country, and at a height of five feet IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly). The thermometer is shaded from direct sunlight by a Stevenson screen.
IMHO (in my humble opinion), temperatures to which a train is subjected could easily reach 40 degrees at engine height and in a cutting and subjected to sunlight. Even worse would be with another train adjacent and adding heat.
As an example, I have measured an air temperature of 41 degrees in the shade*
I suspect that high temperatures may be a problem for these new trains, as with other new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit).

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: March 11, 2017, 11:03:06 »

The UK (United Kingdom) plant is just an assembly plant, the bodyshells for the entire fleet were always supposed to be built in Japan; something about the welding technique being a trade secret that isn't allowed to leave Japan I think. The 800 pictured in the link does look like more than just a bodyshell though as stated above.

If I can trust my memory the welding technique is called 'friction stir' and uses a rapidly rotating rod to generate friction heat to fuse the metals together. If it is what I am thinking of, the process was originally developed by the British Welding Research Association/The Welding Institute but I can't remember when...

I expect that the process and procedures used by Hitachi are trade secrets, but the concept certainly isn't.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: March 11, 2017, 11:38:54 »

I suspect that high temperatures may be a problem for these new trains, as with other new DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit).

Extremely high temperatures will no doubt be a problem for these trains, as with all other trains including those with underfloor engines and those with a traditional 'normal' locomotive.  As 'stuving' pointed out, the infrastructure often can't cope with those rare days either.  Fortunately (or unfortunately for sun worshippers) it rarely gets really hot here, so as long as they can perform under high temperatures, by which I mean where the shaded thermometer is reading around the 30c mark, at a better level than, for example, the Class 180s then that is acceptable in my opinion. 

The engines need to be reliable as a failure of one of them reduces power levels dramatically, unlike on a 180 where it makes little difference if one if not working.  I would be interested to see the performance figures of a 5-car IET (Intercity Express Train) unit running with just two engines working, and how that compares with a HST (High Speed Train) running on one engine only.  Of course, if you have a single source of power, like on a traditional locomotive, then it's 'game over' should there be a failure, so for that reason alone more than one engine is necessary in my opinion.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: March 28, 2017, 18:32:10 »

What is the “electrical interference” problem being experienced?  Is this affecting other equipment on the train, or other railway equipment eg signalling, or local residents eg TV goes funny when an 800 goes by?

I understand that the electrical interference problem with the Class 80x is to do with the lineside telephone system, and that this needs to be fixed before they enter service under electric power.

Whether this is only between Reading and Didcot or on other stretches of the GWML (Great Western Main Line) as well I do not know.  Presumably this problem did not occur on the testing runs on the ECML (East Coast Main Line).

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 28, 2017, 18:34:19 »

What is the “electrical interference” problem being experienced?  Is this affecting other equipment on the train, or other railway equipment eg signalling, or local residents eg TV goes funny when an 800 goes by?
I understand that the electrical interference problem with the Class 80x is to do with the lineside telephone system, and that this needs to be fixed before they enter service under electric power.

Whether this is only between Reading and Didcot or on other stretches of the GWML (Great Western Main Line) as well I do not know.  Presumably this problem did not occur on the testing runs on the ECML (East Coast Main Line).

....ah, but is it the telephone system or the train that's at fault..... Roll Eyes Tongue
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 28, 2017, 19:08:45 »

....ah, but is it the telephone system or the train that's at fault..... Roll Eyes Tongue

The better question would be "Which is the cheaper to amend?"

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: March 28, 2017, 19:19:41 »

The better question would be "Which is the cheaper to amend?"

In practice yes - because otherwise you need to answer "which is out of spec?", and that's a notoriously difficultimpossible question. You can write EMC (ElectroMagnetic Compatibility) requirements for potential sources and victims, but they have to be in terms of defined impedances, coupling properties, etc. It's hard to make that kind of test set-up even in a lab, and you can't really even measure those things on a full-size bit of railway.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: March 28, 2017, 20:33:18 »

A job for the theorists first, then, although I would have  thought they would have had a good run through the equations long ago.

Now, please!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: March 28, 2017, 20:38:13 »

A job for the theorists first, then, although I would have  thought they would have had a good run through the equations long ago.

Well BR (British Rail(ways)) managed to do it back in the late 1950s.......

When I used to maintain the signalling and telecoms equipment at the south end of the West Coast Main Line back in the 1970s we, and drivers who used them, never used to bother about Signal Post Telephones (SPTs (Signal Post Telephone)) that had a constant buzzing noise on the circuit caused by OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") interference.  You just ignored it.... Roll Eyes Wink

....and wearing a plastic mac, standing under the OLE on a wet day, kept you awake and alert with a lovely tingle that passed down from your shoulders to feet Wink Grin
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 22:04:46 by SandTEngineer » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 12, 2017, 11:06:30 »

An interesting post from 'Clarence Yard' on railforums.co.uk, who has been closely involved in testing of the new trains, indicates that an unmuzzled IET (Intercity Express Train) running on diesel power is able to reach 120mph and pretty much match existing HST (High Speed Train) point-to-point timings - 105mph was reached with one engine isolated, which is still pretty impressive.  Muzzled and the performance was described as anaemic!  Let's hope the DfT authorise unmuzzled working at least until the Cardiff electrification is completed.  Talks are still ongoing apparently.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #940 on: April 12, 2017, 11:23:51 »

fyi, in case anyone feels like posting that whole post here, is that the figures given are/were considered confidential (by GWR (Great Western Railway) at least) as obviously are any details on the on-going discussions between GWR, Angel Trains & the DfT» (Department for Transport - about). There are obviously cost implications involved.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 12, 2017, 17:50:19 »

The info that came from another forum on max speeds on muzzled and unmuzzled diesel is different from what I’d heard.  So personally I’m taking any “leaks” with a pinch of salt.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 09:52:52 by Gordon the Blue Engine » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 19, 2017, 16:48:18 »

I thought I would do a performance comparison of 80x/HST (High Speed Train) based on the modelling data I've got, to see if it looks similar to those reported figures. I've worked out the time to 100 mi/hr on the level, and the steepest gradient 100 mi/hr can be maintained up, for each type. Obviously the numbers come with a warning that I'm copying them from the back of an envelope that's covered with damp fingerprints.

HST (2+8):       262s, 1/119
muzzled 800      312s, 1/172
unmuzzled 800   226s, 1/111
electric 800      113s, 1/62

That looks pretty similar to what's been reported. Note that a 9-car would be a bit better than a 5-car at high speed, but on my assumed parameters it's not a lot. A 2x5-car is in between the two.

In general, the figures reflect the known facts: on power or power/weight the 802 is similar to an HST, but has better adhesion and low-speed traction, but with 80% of the power it's clearly worse, while  mains electricity provides a lot more oomph than any diesel.

I've not made any assumption about how much power goes into auxiliaries, and I wonder what has been done for trials. The biggest power users are heating and cooling, and if the heating is all-electric that's the bigger. But I don't have any reliable figures for the power required - the best I have is 20-50 kW (all uses) per car. Significant, but not enormous, and variable. And it would affect HSTs and diesel SETs (Super Express Train (now IET)) much the same, but has no effect when running off mains.
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 24, 2017, 13:32:26 »

I've not made any assumption about how much power goes into auxiliaries, and I wonder what has been done for trials. The biggest power users are heating and cooling, and if the heating is all-electric that's the bigger. But I don't have any reliable figures for the power required - the best I have is 20-50 kW (all uses) per car. Significant, but not enormous, and variable. And it would affect HSTs (High Speed Train) and diesel SETs (Super Express Train (now IET)) much the same, but has no effect when running off mains.

Presumable, with a sophisticated new train, it would just be a matter of writing the correct software code to have the heating/aircon switch off for a couple of minutes when max acceleration was needed?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 24, 2017, 21:22:35 »

I've not made any assumption about how much power goes into auxiliaries, and I wonder what has been done for trials. The biggest power users are heating and cooling, and if the heating is all-electric that's the bigger. But I don't have any reliable figures for the power required - the best I have is 20-50 kW (all uses) per car. Significant, but not enormous, and variable. And it would affect HSTs (High Speed Train) and diesel SETs (Super Express Train (now IET)) much the same, but has no effect when running off mains.

Presumable, with a sophisticated new train, it would just be a matter of writing the correct software code to have the heating/aircon switch off for a couple of minutes when max acceleration was needed?

The trains "hotel" load is fairly insignificant to the traction load, for a whole train the hotel load 200 to 500kW traction load 2 plus MW

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 78
  Print  

Jump to: