27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 03:45:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbury teens campaign to reduce train fares  (Read 8614 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: February 09, 2012, 00:48:28 »

From Newbury Today:

Newbury Young People^s Council say it is unfair that 16 to 18-year-olds should have to pay adult prices

Newbury Young People^s Council has started a campaign to lower the cost of train fares for teenagers still in full-time education.
The young people^s council say it is unfair that 16 to 18-year-olds should have to pay adult prices for trains tickets, especially following the Government^s change to The Education and Skills Act to ensure young people stay in education or training until they are 18.
Newbury^s young mayor, Cameron Smith, a year 12 pupil at St Bartholomew^s School, blasted First Great Western for taking four months to reply to a letter from the council asking how train operators set ticket prices.
^We believe that making students pay an adult fare at 16 when they have opted to stay in school is unfair and should be changed. Young people need to be supported through school, not punished.
^A lot of young people in Newbury use the train to go to Reading or London but it^s getting to the point where people cannot afford to use trains.
^This is becoming more and more of an issue and puts constraints on household budgets,^ he added.
Fellow young councillor, Amy Graham said: ^Young people can get discounts with a rail card but these are only at off peak times, when you^re travelling to school, college or an apprenticeship placement you are usually travelling at peak times.
^With the law changing to make education compulsory until 18-years-old, train fares need to be reduced.^
At present, First Great Western charge ^4.60 for a single peak time adult ticket from Newbury to Hungerford, whereas a child^s fare is ^2.30.
For a single peak time adult ticket from Newbury to Reading you^ll pay ^7.80, with children paying ^3.80, while a single peak time adult ticket from Newbury to London Paddington is ^25.90, with a child ticket at ^12.95.
First Great Western say it is the Association of Train Operating Companies that set train fares, but the association say train operators have the freedom to charge what they like on some tickets.
A spokesman for the association, Daniel Golding said: ^The are two types of train fares - regulated and unregulated. Regulated fares are things like season tickets which are set by the Government. In January regulated ticket prices increased on average by six per cent.
^Unregulated tickets are not set by the Government but are linked to contracts between the Government and train operators because within these contracts the Government is entitled to annual payments from the train operators.^
The young council has set up a petition asking the Association of Train Operating Companies to change the threshold for adult tickets to 19.
The petition will be available to sign at Newbury train station tomorrow (Friday) between 4-6pm, with campaigners on hand to take any questions.
Tell us what you think by contacting James Williams on (01635) 564533 or emailing james.williams@newburynews.co.uk, or have your say on our online forum.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 01:25:59 »

In some areas on the UK (United Kingdom) rail network 'scholar' fares/season tickets are offered at reduced rates specifically to address this issue. These are subsidised by the relevant local authority or Local Education Authority. Also, individual education establishments sometimes offer subsidised rail fares with a local agreement with the relevant Train Operating Company.

Maybe this is an area that this campaign group should look at. I don't think there's much mileage in asking ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) to raise the age limit on 'child fares' to 19 just yet. At least not until the compulsory education to 18 becomes law in 2015.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 10:38:47 »

<advocate type="devil">
The age limit for half price fares should be raised to 190.  That way, everyone is eligible for travel at the same rate.
</advocate>

Why is there a discount in the first place for people in their young teens?   They take up just as much space / just as many seats ...

P.S. ...
Swindon to London, 72 miles, 28.00 child, 56.00 adult = 77.7p / mile
Newbury to London, 52 miles, 12.95 child, 25.90 adult = 49.8p / mile
But, surely, Newbury to London is not a "commute to school" for too many?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 11:07:02 »

I wish I could still get a 16-25 railcard..........
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:35:18 »

<advocate type="devil">
The age limit for half price fares should be raised to 190.  That way, everyone is eligible for travel at the same rate.
</advocate>

Why is there a discount in the first place for people in their young teens?   They take up just as much space / just as many seats ...

P.S. ...
Swindon to London, 72 miles, 28.00 child, 56.00 adult = 77.7p / mile
Newbury to London, 52 miles, 12.95 child, 25.90 adult = 49.8p / mile
But, surely, Newbury to London is not a "commute to school" for too many?

IMO (in my opinion) a discount for teens is irrelevant because (I would guess) at least 50% travel without a ticket anyway.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 11:40:09 »

IMO (in my opinion) a discount for teens is irrelevant because (I would guess) at least 50% travel without a ticket anyway.
Sadly very true. It used to make my day when I took the train back from College and RPIs (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) were at Reading Station, waiting at the lift exits...

I am no longer an active member of this website.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 11:42:07 »

Sadly very true. It used to make my day when I took the train back from College and RPIs (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) were at Reading Station, waiting at the lift exits...

On a similar line it can be quite entertaining passing through Reading station when the festival is on in August...
just count the police vans waiting to pick up the "sorry mate, didn't know I needed to but a ticket" brigade

Dave
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 11:55:12 »

Actually I have a certain amount of sympathy with them, although I believe their campaign should be aimed more towards bus transport than rail.

Just seems wrong to me somehow that pensioners should get free bus travel when they've had their entire working lives to save up for being retired, whereas teenagers, who need to travel to get an education or apprenticeship or to look for work, only get a discount at best.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 15:23:13 »

I do kind of agree, it's not as if you gain many extra rights when you are 16. If anything the child fair should raise to 17, since at least then you have the choice of driving for example, meaning your dependance on the train is likely to reduce.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 21:02:07 »

I have first hand experience of the fact that most "young" people on the Bedwyn-Reading corridor travel free for about 80% of the time! hopefully the Gates going in at Newbury should sort at least some of it!
chineseJohn

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 23:24:33 »

I don't think I have been checked on the Reading to Theale (3car train i mean) train after 17:00, since i started commuting in nov 2010
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 06:40:54 »

I don't think I have been checked on the Reading to Theale (3car train i mean) train after 17:00, since i started commuting in nov 2010

<scratched-record>
This year on the Thatcham-reading part of my journey I have had my ticket checked once which makes the grand total of 3 times in the lat 12 months.

I was advised there were going to be alt more revenue protection staff operating in the reading area but don't know if that is true and if it is when they will come on stream.

Conversely on the reading gatwick segment I think there have only Ben 3 trips in te last 12 months where my ticket has not been checked and I ravel every working day.

</scratched-record>
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: