Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:32 Reading to Basingstoke
12:22 Basingstoke to Reading
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
23:32 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 10:53:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[119] Okehampton
[75] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[73] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[72] Is any one attending the TWSW(friday)?
[68] The One-Way Wizzo
[53] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: How many of these are you sure you can place?  (Voting closed: January 22, 2012, 22:46:20)
None - 3 (18.8%)
1 - 2 (12.5%)
2 - 6 (37.5%)
3 - 3 (18.8%)
5 - 1 (6.3%)
4 - 1 (6.3%)
6 - 0 (0%)
7 - 0 (0%)
8 - 0 (0%)
9 - 0 (0%)
All 10! - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Where are these" with a difference.  (Read 6123 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 20, 2012, 22:46:20 »

Question says it all ... don't name them - come up with a number over the weekend.  On Monday I'll post the answers and then you can tell me how you actually did

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 23:20:17 »

Well, I've registered my bid (for a rather pitiful 2) for those pictures which I think I can identify ...  Roll Eyes

That enabled me to see from the 'totals so far' that we, collectively, do seem to be struggling a bit on this one.  Shocked

I'm therefore going to offer my two identified locations, 'to encourage the others' (Voltaire):

In no particular order ... Melksham and Taunton.  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 00:00:07 »

The two I voted that I might know were neither of those (altho actually I did assume those two would be in there somewhere...so maybe I should have been brave and guessed 4 :-))...
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 06:38:12 »

I have a theory that each of us only knows a very few of the images used in "what / where" is this competitions, and that it's only by combining the skills of everyone that we get a near-full set of answers developed.   So - although (as hinted by previous posters) there are many low votes, I'm not surprised.

Not tested here / with the question asked, but I also suspect that people can identify pictures of stations and trains at stations relatively easily, but that rail facilities just a few yards from the station can be tricky, lineside can be trickier, and (as a forum) our recognition of the places served by our trains is very thin indeed.

I'll be adding a list of where each picture was taken overnight tonight - if you haven't voted yet, please do so (it's a secret vote) and by doing so you'll help form another picture.   Thanks!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 08:24:03 »

I'm a little more daring and have gone for three.  I can also name the LU line, but not the station Sad
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 09:55:51 »

Six, although I'm afraid I can't see how to vote in the poll and haven't time to faff about clicking randomly at the moment
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 11:07:52 »

Six, although I'm afraid I can't see how to vote in the poll and haven't time to faff about clicking randomly at the moment

Good question - others may be having trouble with our polls as we've never written an FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

1. Click on the little circular thingummy that's to the left of the option of your choice.
2. Press the "submit vote" button that's just below all the options listed.

Some other polls allow multiple choices to be selected (in item 1) before you select item 2

thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 23:02:17 »

Missed the closing poll by 5 minutes Sad But I reckon i've got a good 4, but suspect I know a further 2. I'd like to say 3, but the LM (London Midland - recent franchise) 153 on Platform 3 really has caught me out! Even though I know i've been there!!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 05:34:38 »

1. Westbury
2. Taunton
3. Lackham (near Lacock, near Thingley Junction, between Chippenham and Melksham)
4. Broughton Gifford between Melksham and Trowbridge
5. Kennet and Avon Canal near Trowbridge
6. Sorry - it's a model railway
7. Green Park station, Bath
8. Weymouth
9. Foxhangers, near Devizes
10. King's Cross

Many thanks for completing the poll ... rather confirms my guess that most of us who look at these quizzes only recognise a few of the places.

One or two were quite easy ... ranging to one or two which I would be amazed if anyone got. And I went pretty wide on my "transport and related linking to the South West" theme.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 07:00:27 »

I went for 4 and I got them right. They were; 1. Westbury, 2. Taunton, 7. Bath Green Park, and 10. King's Cross St Pancras Underground.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 07:04:01 »

I was right, I got six! Well, if we include the model railway, which I contend was located in Melksham when you took the photograph (irrespective of where the model depicts, it was in Melksham at the time - specifically, in the Christie Miller Centre in Bowerhill)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 07:28:25 »

... if we include the model railway, which I contend was located in Melksham when you took the photograph ...

it was.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 17:37:11 »

I went for 6. Melksham for exactly the same reason as Phil ...  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 03:41:59 »

I got (1) Westbury (2) Taunton (4) Broughton Gifford and (Cool Weymouth*

Was wrong on 3rd, 6th and 7th.

The 3rd I thought was somewhere near Pewsey; I had a suspicion it was one of the Forum walks that took place!

6th I had an idea was the Model Railway at Longleat... Was there at any point grahame? looks very similar...

7th my suspicions were Brighton... Wrong!

* = When I first saw that picture my brain said Weymouth, but then for some reason I decided it couldn't be Weymouth... Should have remembered what my Cisco Teacher taught me: "When posed with a question, the first answer your brain comes up with is highly likely to be right!" as an aside, I also remember he told me for that reason, during the multiple choice exam not to change your first answers unless they were blindly obviously wrong!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: