06:02 Bristol Parkway to Carmarthen
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 08:10:53 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[211] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[74] You see all sorts on the bus.
[71] "Mayflower"
[66] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] tram/rail meet up
[53] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rail king Roy saluted for 50 years on the right tracks  (Read 3947 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: January 30, 2012, 20:13:52 »

From thisisgloucestershire:

Remarkable Roy Tombs knows a thing or two about staying on the right tracks.

When he first pitched up for work at Gloucester Railway Station at the age of 15, Harold Macmillan was prime minister and England were yet to lift the football World Cup.

The 65-year-old, from Cheltenham, celebrated half a century of manning trains across the West Country at a surprise retirement bash organised by colleagues.

Fellow railway workers joined him at the Bruton Way station in raising a glass to salute the milestone.

And they agreed his length of service meant he should be held in the highest esteem.

Mr Tombs, a father of two, said: "It was a lovely surprise. I wasn't expecting it at all.

"I can't believe it's been 50 years really. It feels just like yesterday I turned up to work as a cleaner on the old steam trains. We enjoyed having a pint or two and talking about old times.

"I'm quite looking forward to retirement and I certainly won't miss the early mornings."

Mr Tombs first joined British Rail as a steam train cleaner in 1962, straight after leaving school.

He worked his way up from the bottom, rising to the position of driver's 'second man' before taking his driving exams in 1980.

Since then he has been dedicated to transporting customers safely across the region, getting up every day at 5.30am to get to work before busy commuters.

He worked firstly for British Rail, then South Wales and West Trains, Wessex Trains and latterly First Great Western. And amidst much change in the rail industry, he has been a reassuringly constant presence.

"I have seen an awful lot of change during my career," he said.

"Probably the biggest one was the dieselisation of British trains which had a huge impact on improving times and efficiency.

"When Margaret Thatcher privatised British Rail in 1993, wages went up which was a good thing for drivers like me.

"What we've got now is a modern service which is far better than anything we had when I first started.

"I'd like to think we have a service to be proud of. People complain about trains in Britain but travelling by rail is a wonderful way to see the countryside.

"I've had a marvellous time working here and have met some lovely people along the way."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 20:25:12 »

Well done Roy. Top work fella!

Fairly sure I had a chat with Roy before Christmas on a FGW (First Great Western) local between Bristol and Gt Malvern.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: