Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:28 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 12:45:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[116] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[50] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[46] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[45] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[41] Return of the BRUTE?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: This moaning on twitter  (Read 21900 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 02, 2012, 09:10:19 »

Is this a typical Thursday moaning's commute?  Journeycheck indicates 3 amended services - 2 in the Bristol area and one in the Thames Valley, but the tweeters are busy reporting the trials and tribulations of travel ... all these within the last hour searching for #fgw tag.

#fgw typical foul up: late train; last minute platfom alteration; seriously overcrowded; no apology for any of it. #snafu (@Oakelmash)

So I've paid for a first class ticket for a train with no first class, thanks a bunch #fgw (@philip_antony)

If you're a frustrated #firstgreatwestern commuter, you might like this... http://t.co/idjAJNgM #fgw^ @OfficialMvN  (@maddi_munchies)

Train delayed because of a 'power car' not working. #fgw though I could part of Guinness record attempt for most people in carriage. Ever. (@emmersimms)

First train delayed 22m so will miss connection. New ETA 10:20. F*** public transport. #fgw (@df_themaster)

I see @fgw have helped in the cold. Helpfully cancelled trains so rest are packed. Everyone warmer. Thanks @fgw. worth the fare rises. #Fgw (@grayhart)

@emmersimms have we reached the point where we're going to crowd surf on trains to work? #fgw (@TheSourceress)

Are we turning more and more into a complaining nation, are things really much worse than they used to be, do we see the past through rosy tinted spectacles, or has the information technology age made the spreading of individual bad news so much easier ... or all of these?

Posted in "Intro and Chat".  discuss  Wink

Modified to obscure language used in what I was quoting - sorry about that ...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 18:12:27 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:06:15 »

The last of those options, mostly.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 12:49:57 »

In the days when I used to travel by train infrequently it always seemed to be the case that on those days I did travel delays etc would mess my plans up. Although I may travel by train maybe twice a year in those days those delays really hacked me off.

Now I travel by train every working day il guess although delays are annoying they have become part of my way of life. Having said that (IMO (in my opinion)) the two months before Xmas were really bad in FGW (First Great Western) land but so far this year major delays have been few and far between.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 13:16:43 »

I don't think it's any different now to the way colleagues and regular commuters always have whinged to each other about real and perceived transport woes, except that today not just the rest of the carriage but the whole of the interweb can hear them if they choose to.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 16:34:12 »

I don't think it's any different now to the way colleagues and regular commuters always have whinged to each other about real and perceived transport woes, except that today not just the rest of the carriage but the whole of the interweb can hear them if they choose to.

True ...  but then I don't think I remember quite such a high proportion of missing services in my youth.

I was booked onto the 15:55 from Chippenham to Paddington this afternoon.  Cancelled (I'm on another train now).  What's hilarious is that the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) issued me a "15:55 Only" advanced ticket even when the departure screen showed it as cancelled.  Perhaps the technology isn't quite as joined up as it should be - but that's another story!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 17:06:16 »

Just out of interest... Could someone with legal knowledge confirm my interpretation of part of the public order act relating to displaying written abusive language (swearing) is correct?

From section's 4 and 4 a of the 1986 public order act

.(b)distributes or displays to another person any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

Am I correct in thinking that this also applies to social networking sites

Some of the language being used within the complaints is unacceptable
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 17:39:04 »

After around 35 years commuting 1968 to 2005 with a couple of gaps. Generally things weren't too bad there were one of two snowy days when things went up he shoot but otherrwise the old 117s pottered up and down fairly reliably although they did suffer from milage related problems all together but we got 31s and 3 coaches instead!

Then Chris Green's brand new Turbos arrived and once settled in  and propery timetable started much faster services. 33 minutes Taplow - Padd with 4 stops. Now it's nearer 45 mins.

Things got really bad at the end of Thames Trians and start of First Link franchises. Where I had 5 years of decreasing season ticket prices with the 5% discount and capped rises. When punctuality was around 80% rolling average and that's how it worked out. You could reckon to be over 5 minutes late at destination twice out of 10 journeys a week. Of course it was always the night you wanted to be home to be off out!

I blame the advent of defensive driving which has led to excessive padding and a certain degree of slackness. If you've got 15 minutes to get from Ealing to Padd and you can do it in 8 why bother being on time at any intermediate station up to Ealing.

Railways should be run briskly.

Also of course with the ridiculous lack rolling stock you can't turn out a 31 and 3 even if you could find a loco and coaches you wouldn't have a driver who even knows what a 31 is.

I know we have to sweat assests but at least 1 completely spare set wouldn't come amiss. The problem is that it is needed now for strengthening existing services so we probably need at least 5 extra units in the Thames Valley to give at least one totally spare not turning a wheel or being maintained. It would probaly be found that if there was 1 completely spare unit that the reliability of the whole fleet would rise as more time could be spent on routine mantenance and less on fixing faults. There are some very interesting mathematical trade offs between reliabilty, availabilty and utilisation.

Bearing in mind there are some very important government constituences in the TV I for one am delighted that the railways' shortcomings are being broadcast to widest possible audience.

I don't envy Mark Hopwood his job,  although he is suppose to be free enterprise entrepreneur, in practice, he is probably more hamstrung than Chris Green ever was.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 18:14:37 »

I have modified one of the quotes to leave you guessing (not!) as to what the original word was.   Difficult one that - I hate changing what people say, and I did quote in the interest of critical comment  Grin

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 18:38:44 »

Ahh actually I wasn't referring to the fact that it had been quoted on here, however I guess I can't cherry pick... I just get quite angry when I see the abuse being thrown at the staff who respond to questions on both social networking sites, if this happened at the station the btp would be alerted I appreciate that some passengers have a reasonable cause to be angry however some go over the top!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 19:22:32 »

The Maidenhead to Paddingon commute is definitely a lot worse and I've been doing it for years.. Not that I'd expect a seat these days (just room to breath suits me) but back in the 90s (ooh that makes me feel old) I always got a seat.. I'd say there were more fast trains then too but I imagine that is rose tinted spectacles on my behalf..

And that is the very reason I treated myself to a first class monthly season ticket (see my other post about how that has gone  Roll Eyes) as it had got to the point where I was dreading being squashed onto overheated, overcrowded trains...

And as other people have said.. Obviously people now have extra ways to complain.. But to be honest.. It can do FGW (First Great Western) no harm to hear about the conditions their passengers are subjected to..
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 20:14:02 »

From the Maidenhead Advertiser:

Rail passengers call for action after days of problems

Passengers have called for action from First Great Western after days of peak time service problems.

The 8am Maidenhead to London Paddington service was repeatedly cut from seven cars to three or four due to a shortage of fast trains, and other services were late.

Commuters used social media sites to express their anger on disrupted days, including Thursday, Friday and Monday.

A FGW (First Great Western) spokesman attributed the lack of High Speed Trains (HST (High Speed Train)) to the fact one was damaged on Saturday last week. "We appreciate this was frustrating for commuters travelling from Maidenhead and thank them for their understanding and patience," he said.

The chaos came as FGW announced National Passenger Survey scores show 83 per cent of passengers are satisfied with its service.

The survey was conducted by independent watchdog Passenger Focus in autumn 2011.

A statement from FGW on Thursday said its scores had increased for the fifth year running.

But complaints flooded Twitter labelling its trains as 'poor' and fares 'overpriced'.

FGW said it is investing in 46 new carriages for London and the Thames Valley to improve capacity by this summer.

The spokesman said peak services through Maidenhead including the 8am would benefit. Others include the 7.44am Henley to Paddington and the 5.33pm Paddington to Oxford.

See today's Advertiser for a full report.

What do you think of the First Great Western service? Leave your comments below or tweet us @maidenheadads

(My highlighting) CfN Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
themaster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 20:27:37 »

Just out of interest... Could someone with legal knowledge confirm my interpretation of part of the public order act relating to displaying written abusive language (swearing) is correct?

From section's 4 and 4 a of the 1986 public order act

.(b)distributes or displays to another person any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,

Am I correct in thinking that this also applies to social networking sites

No, what is unacceptable is leaving passengers standing on an unheated semi-rural platform for 40 minutes at -4.5C and not apologising when the train finally did arrive.  The language used was an accurate description of my feelings at the time -- I foolishly thought that I would try the train instead of driving to work.  It left me freezing cold and 50 minutes late.
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 20:57:42 »

Fair point, well made - and welcome aboard, good sir.
Devon Big Bird

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 21:20:36 »

OK, my journey today, from Torquay to Paddington.

Arrive TQY for the 0615 connection into 0630 from NTA» (Newton Abbott - next trains) to PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains). Ticket Machine at TQY politely stated that it could not issue pre-purchased (APEX) tickets. Cue photograph of screen in readiness for explanation.

0615 came and went. Without a departure. Lady on platform informed that it had 'gone down' (i.e. to PGN) as she had been there since.

0620 came and I'm now thinking 'OK, just going to make, JUST, it but still no ticket and maybe have to leg it over and on without it, how's this going to work?' (Did have photo of screen and emailed confirmation of ticket on phone)

After contacting the 'Help' point (note the inverted comma), was advised that the train was showing as not having departed PGN, then advised it just had at 0628.

Unit rocks up at around 0630 and I'm on (ticketless). Speaking to the conductor, he advised that he had just checked and the PAD train had not been held at NTA (not exactly shocked at this).

So, into NTA around 0640 with a lovely 50 minute wait for the Hind (0732) which was already showing 5 late. Still, 50 minutes to pick my tickets up so there's a bonus.

Coffee and warmth ensued until the notification that the Hind was being re-platformed into Plat 1. Strange.

Hind turns up (around 9 late) into Plat 1, no lights in buffet car, Coach E no ETH and being 'advised' it is not for use. Fitters (presumably having travelled up from PLY» (Plymouth - next trains)) tinker around for a while and we leave NTA around 10-15 (ish) late.

Buffet then re-opens with limited service. Still 'no' Coach E.

Uneventful journey as far as around Theale then stuck behind a stopper turbo into RDG(resolve).

Arrive PAD 30 late (or for me, 90 late!)

To be fair, a catalogue of unusual errors, but as we were talking about shambles today, thought I'd get it out of my system!

Footnote - the conductor on the unit was great, gave an accurate description of the fault (power handle not working) and tried to help with information - top marks.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 21:25:39 by Devon Big Bird » Logged

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 21:39:07 »

No, what is unacceptable is leaving passengers standing on an unheated semi-rural platform for 40 minutes at -4.5C and not apologising when the train finally did arrive.  The language used was an accurate description of my feelings at the time -- I foolishly thought that I would try the train instead of driving to work.  It left me freezing cold and 50 minutes late.

It would be more accurate to say that what you experienced was 'also unacceptable' .... One does NOT justify the other, it's one thing being angry and getting your point across.... Swearing and using threatening behaviour Is totally unjustified
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: