Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:05 Reading to Basingstoke
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
Short Run
14:23 Exmouth to Paignton
Delayed
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 15:39:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: This moaning on twitter  (Read 22053 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2012, 12:45:36 »

WTT (Working Time-Table) (Working Time Table) is scheduled to depart at 1706, and this will be the time that the driver works to.

Unless the driver happens to spot that the public time is different (by noticing on the information screens) and driving to that instead.  He/she has no indication of any difference on their schedule card.

The whole Public/WTT differential really winds me up.  There are trains that have differences of 4 minutes between the public and working times.  Assuming the driver sticks to the working times, then you have the public perceiving their train is always 4 minutes late.  What bloody awful, and totally unnecessary PR (Public Relations) that is.  Apart from exceptions circumstances, the two should be combined into one time so that everyone knows the score.  Rant over.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2012, 13:06:52 »

The whole Public/WTT (Working Time-Table) differential really winds me up.  There are trains that have differences of 4 minutes between the public and working times.  Assuming the driver sticks to the working times, then you have the public perceiving their train is always 4 minutes late.  What bloody awful, and totally unnecessary PR (Public Relations) that is.  Apart from exceptions circumstances, the two should be combined into one time so that everyone knows the score.  Rant over.

LOL (laughing out loud) - so you are telling me, not only do FGW (First Great Western) have their own concept of "on time" (ie. can be upto 3 minutes late), but they also have two versions of the same time table, one for joe public, and one for the workers ?! Ye Gods.

* lordgoata finds somewhere warm to curl up until the world regains some sense ..... yes I maybe gone some time  Tongue
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 21:39:23 »

LOL (laughing out loud) - so you are telling me, not only do FGW (First Great Western) have their own concept of "on time" (ie. can be upto 3 minutes late), but they also have two versions of the same time table, one for joe public, and one for the workers ?! Ye Gods.

* lordgoata finds somewhere warm to curl up until the world regains some sense ..... yes I maybe gone some time  Tongue

The whole railway has a WTT (Working Time-Table) and PTT (Public Time-Table).

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2012, 14:48:54 »

It is my belief that railways in general, not just FGW (First Great Western), have got worse in the last 10 years.
Overcrowding is definatly worse, and is a direct result of new shorter trains in many cases.

I frequently used the suburban services into London Blackfriars, these used to be 8 car slam door EMUs (Electric Multiple Unit), latter replaced by all new networkers, 6 coaches in the peak instead of 8, some improvement.

I used to travel between Waterloo and Gillingham dorset, in the good old days we had 8 coach locomotive hauled trains, sometimes longer at busy times.
I dont remember EVER standing on the old trains. Then came 3 car DMUs (Diesel Multiple Unit) with standing being the norm.

And as for virgin cross country, they received a massive subsidy to halve the length of the trains, with standing the norm.

In recent years new trains have been largely replacements for old, and not supplements to improve capacity.

FGW have led the field in cramming more seats into the same vehicle and calling this an improvement. Refering to " thousands of extra seats" sounds to to the man in the street like some extra trains, when in fact they mean a few extra seats per train.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 19:00:51 by broadgage » Logged

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2012, 04:43:42 »

I don't really think twitter helps in some cases, comparing it to an email, you often get the exact same response (just much shorter without the investment spiel), which is an apology or an explanation. You also get the response same day - FGW (First Great Western) customer service are a little bit longer...

Would some of these "complaints" have ever been written if FGW weren't on Twitter?

Are people somewhat "lacking" with manners on social networking sites?

There are however, some very polite users of twitter, BerkshireBugsy being one of them. I don't think being polite and putting across a point is difficult:
@FGW Hi Jo, hope you had a good w/e. Just to let you know "Find out more about family travel" link doesn't work on goo.gl/TPcnn Smiley

I am no longer an active member of this website.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2012, 05:56:04 »

I don't really think twitter helps in some cases, comparing it to an email, you often get the exact same response (just much shorter without the investment spiel), which is an apology or an explanation. You also get the response same day - FGW (First Great Western) customer service are a little bit longer...

Would some of these "complaints" have ever been written if FGW weren't on Twitter?

Are people somewhat "lacking" with manners on social networking sites?

There are however, some very polite users of twitter, BerkshireBugsy being one of them. I don't think being polite and putting across a point is difficult:
@FGW Hi Jo, hope you had a good w/e. Just to let you know "Find out more about family travel" link doesn't work on goo.gl/TPcnn Smiley

What a nice positive start to a Monday morning! All though this thread was specifically about twitter, my approach about contacting companies (such as FGW) is the try and mix the good and the bad.

Sometimes when the service goes through a bad patch it can be difficult to be complimentary but I do find that even in the not so good times it is fairly easy to find staff who stand out for the right reasons. On those occasions an email will wing itself to FGW in the hope that it finds the right destination.

Happy monday everyone (ok I admit that might be taking things a bit far)
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2012, 23:41:44 »

I must admit that I had a little bit of a rant on FGW (First Great Western)'s Facebook Page... Roll Eyes My train to Salisbury was 15 minutes late. Now I wouldn't mind that normally, but I had a connection to make at Salisbury to Waterloo. There were also problems on the c2c line that day too, so all in all, being 15 minutes late made me 1hr 38mins late! Angry

I did say in my e-mail to Jo that I wasn't fussed if I wasn't entitled to Compensation as I was happy with the price I paid for the tickets, so it wasn't a problem. However sitting in my Inbox on my Exchange Account this morning, I was delighted to find a compo voucher for ^29.00!! Grin Grin Grin Grin

But I'd like to think my e-mail was taken in politeness as I made it clear that the delay was of no inconvenience to me. But still, that'll save me a fair bit going to Southend on Thursday! Cheesy

Grin Grin Grin Grin
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2012, 05:21:47 »

But I'd like to think my e-mail was taken in politeness as I made it clear that the delay was of no inconvenience to me. But still, that'll save me a fair bit going to Southend on Thursday! Cheesy

My sentiments entirely. IMO (in my opinion) if "one" is going to complain then do it in a civil fashion first. If the first communication is a full blown rant it leavers nowhere to "step up a gear" to.

Mind you, if you have ever been left waiting for an hour on a cold wet platform because the xx:xx (insert relevant time here) has been delayed then sometimes that is easier tweeted said than done.

Oh well off to see what delights commuter world holds in store for me today Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: