Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:21:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Under five children in Seats  (Read 23018 times)
chineseJohn

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 22:22:08 »

Those who are travelling with small children should be aware that if you have a Family and Friends railcard you can purchase a child's fare for an under 5 voluntarily in order to get a discount on the accompanying adult's fare.
If my wife is travelling with my baby - we always buy a  ticket for him with F&F railcard. Always a saving.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 22:38:40 »

I always amazed at the number of people who put bags on the seat during the height of rush hour ....

One opposite me at the moment - not actually the rush hour, but the very well loaded 22:15 Paddington to Bristol.   Not that I'm objecting - I can stretch my legs out under the table (for which I reserved a seat last month!)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 22:51:57 »

Presumably though given the title of this thread, we are all agreed it's OK people putting up to 4 children on a single seat, right? Wink
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 23:18:10 »

Presumably though given the title of this thread, we are all agreed it's OK people putting up to 4 children on a single seat, right? Wink

Ha ha I didn't notice how that read.. And I usually would have... Grin Roll Eyes
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 19:39:28 »

What i've recently been subjected to a couple of times on the SWT (South West Trains) line between SAL and WAT is passengers asking me to turn my music on my MP3 down... Which I would be happy to do so... IF there was music playing in the poxy first place!!! Angry

I quite often walk around with my headphones in, but there is no music playing simply to quieten loud noises down and it has been helping to reduce my random panic attacks (Was in A&E 4 times last month for them Sad )... Sometimes my headphones aren't even connected to my iPhone. The look on the other pax face when shown the Jack for the cable has been priceless Grin

Sometimes if i'm feeling a little bit creative and asked to turn my sound down. I have been known to play mind games and say things like: "You need to see a Psychiatrist if you can hear music... As these headphones aren't even plugged in... Grin *Shows Jack for Headphones*".......................

Sorry. 99.9996% of the time I am a nice and polite person. However I don't like moronic idiots that think just because they're sat in First Class they own the carriage... Err No!

Grin Grin Grin Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2016, 08:46:02 »

It's astonishing what people will put up with ...  I kept a watchful eye on behaviours on Sunday evening when I joined a King's Cross to Cambridge service at King's Cross - shorter than usual and rammed by the time it left;  a very limited service indeed as all trains north were using the Hertford Loop.

Small child on seat ... precocious with her mum ... and she got chatting with people who were standing near her.   "I'm four - but 5 very soon" she announced for all to hear, but no-one suggested to mum that child should be on her lap, or standing, or offering her seat to someone more in need of it.

Woman seated in a bay of 4 with a small table, coats and luggage on all four seats, long before the train was due to leave. She was informing all comers  who enquired or who were about to sit down that the seats were 'reserved' and indeed - long after people were standing, and a couple of minutes before the train left, the rest of her party turned up.

I was in a window seat, one of an airline pair. Travelling companion sat inside from me, and rather than spill towards the corridor she spilled towards me.   Now Lisa and I will spill towards each other and we accept it, but ...  ... and she must have been very tired as she kept falling asleep and sagging onto me ... really left it pretty hard for me to do anything / type etc.  Which is why I was so much able to watch mother-and-four-year old which is where I started this post!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2016, 14:05:08 »

It's no wonder I can never find a chimneysweep these days, the little so and sos are all gallivanting around on trains!  Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2022, 15:14:31 »

On this day ... 2nd February - 2012 to 2022

10 years ago - conditions of carriage:

Up to two children under five years of age may accompany each fare-paying passenger free of charge. However, children under five years of age who are travelling free may only occupy a seat which is not required by a fare-paying passenger.

Now - conditions of travel:

Children under five years of age may travel free of charge without a Ticket providing that they are travelling with a passenger holding a valid Ticket or other authority to travel.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2022, 21:34:45 »

I would be displeased if after paying the full fare, I was expected to stand in order that children without any tickets could take the seats.

Presumably the owners of the children will be entitled to priority boarding, so as to decrease the chances of ordinary ticket holders getting a seat.

Glad I use trains less these days.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2022, 22:26:38 »

Unless a reservation has been made, no passenger has an entitlement to a seat. Your fare, or authority to travel in the case of no fare, is for transport from A to B, nothing else. The amount paid does not increase one's right to a seat.

I personally prefer to see toddlers sat down with something to occupy them. Far better than on the loose. When I used to take my nephew on trips he was happiest sitting in a seat next to his uncle. I kept him engaged by telling him things about the railways. Under 5s have an authority to travel. First come, first served.

Someone less able should of course be offered the seat. That's common decency and a teaching point for children. But to an able bodied person just because they may have paid more for their journey? No.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2022, 09:05:05 »

the owners of the children ...
You have this the wrong way round – unless you're using "own" in the modern business sense of "acknowledge responsibility for". Children own their parents, just as cats are in fact the parents of their alleged owners.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2022, 12:57:19 »

I would be displeased if after paying the full fare, I was expected to stand

In that case may I suggest you never travel with CrossCountry Wink

Slightly more seriously, though I do see your point; a) the fault is that of the train operator/DfT» (Department for Transport - about) not providing enough seats, not of the family travelling within the rules; and b) unfortunately, in an age of advance tickets, amount paid now bears basically no relation to service received.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2022, 12:11:28 »

When I were a lad, in 1960s Newcastle, the buses had signs advising that anyone travelling on a half fare must give up their seat if an adult was standing…

Don’t times change…
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2022, 12:43:21 »

When I were a lad, in 1960s Newcastle, the buses had signs advising that anyone travelling on a half fare must give up their seat if an adult was standing…

Don’t times change…

There are still sparkles of that around from politeness - actually a bit embarrassed to be offered a seat myself at one point.

So what should the bus hierarchy be?  Paying adults get the seats first, half fare children are next in line, and if any are left over they're for the seniors who have been paid for through the ENCTS (English National Concessionary Travel Scheme) scheme?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: