20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
21:15 Great Malvern to Bristol Temple Meads
22:36 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 23:13:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential bidders for the next Greater Western franchise  (Read 93834 times)
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2012, 19:17:56 »

Am I right in thinking that the 158 aircon was built by a company on the Isle if Wight? Sure I've seen a panel under the seats that says, 'Temperature Ltd, Isle of Wight'
Correct as far as 158701-814 are concerned although not all 158's still have the original aircon installed. The Liebherr fitted ones are identifiable by having extra large grilles / vents on the roof over the passenger doors. This is a complete new system and not a revamp of the existing system (although the existing control panel is retained) and is as good as it gets where class 158 aircon is concerned. Not surprisingly all SWT (South West Trains) 158 / 159 have Liebherr kit fitted.

Trundling gently round the SW
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2012, 19:47:48 »

You cannot say class 158 is cheaper than the current DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) offerings as they are no longer being built today.

By cheaper I meant cheaper to run. Being lighter, they should use less fuel and cause less damage to the tracks, hence cheaper. Manufactring cost probablly wouldn't be much different, probably slightly more expensive once you've built a factory to build them.

The 158 with failed air-con that I was overheating on was an ATW (Arriva Trains Wales (former TOC (Train Operating Company))) unit (I think all their units are numbered higher than 158814). I was travelling on the Cambrian coast line at the time.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2012, 20:09:30 »

You cannot say class 158 is cheaper than the current DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) offerings as they are no longer being built today.

By cheaper I meant cheaper to run. Being lighter, they should use less fuel and cause less damage to the tracks, hence cheaper. Manufactring cost probablly wouldn't be much different, probably slightly more expensive once you've built a factory to build them.

But as I keep telling you, you cannot build new units to the exact class 158 spec anymore as they don't meet the requirements for crashworthiness for new build stock. Therefore a 2012 version of 158 will probably weight the same or slightly more than class 172.

Newer units have newer common rail diesel engines. BR (British Rail(ways)) era 15x all use variations of mechanically fuelled and governed 1980s truck engines. This combined with the ZF six speed transmission used on 172 will enable less fuel per mile to be used by the newer units.

The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #153 on: April 07, 2012, 20:43:46 »

Anyway I'm glad we all seem to like 158's as they are the same external width as the IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) vehicles. So that sort of thing is what we all have to look forward to in FGW (First Great Western)-shire....

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #154 on: April 07, 2012, 20:49:40 »

I like 158s - just to interject a comment here, if I may? Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2012, 22:03:35 »

Would you go to Paddington in one?

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2012, 22:08:04 »

I would.  Wink

Regularly go Bristol TM(resolve) - Waterloo in one. Perfectly acceptable.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Temple Meads

HST's are the future..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2012, 22:15:22 »

I would.  Wink

Regularly go Bristol TM(resolve) - Waterloo in one. Perfectly acceptable.

That is an SWT (South West Trains) unit though, the 159's and SWT 158's seem to have a bit more legroom over the FGW (First Great Western) 158's, which are a bit cramped for me (6ft 1in).

Still an OK ride though.

Passenger and  Enthusiast
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #158 on: April 07, 2012, 22:25:53 »

Grin the trouble I cause eh? I don't mind being shot down when it's explained properly as you have done  Smiley
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #159 on: April 07, 2012, 22:30:25 »

Would you go to Paddington in one?

Yes: I'd be happy to travel to Paddington in an FGW (First Great Western) one, from Nailsea.

I've done Nailsea to Taunton on an FGW 158 many times - a very comfortable journey. A journey in the opposite direction, even lasting twice or three times as long, would hold no fears for me.  Grin
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 22:40:58 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2012, 23:19:44 »

That is an SWT (South West Trains) unit though, the 159's and SWT 158's seem to have a bit more legroom over the FGW (First Great Western) 158's, which are a bit cramped for me (6ft 1in).
I tend to sit at table seats, which means I tend to avoid legroom problems. I agree the FGW 158s don't have enough legroom in airline though. I did Cosham to Cardiff on one in airline once and there was not nearly enough legroom. That's just a flaw with the layout of FGW sets though, not 158s themselves.

On the journey in question, I then boarded a 175 for onward travel to Haverfordwest. Much better legroom but the seats could have done with being softer, like the ones on the 158 I had left. The problems could easily have been the other way around, I expect I can't blame either on the class of unit.

If IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) coaches are going to be the same width as a 158's (which, though quite narrow, are only 0.03m narrower than alot of stock, including 175s) and three metres longer, trying to make them cover a wide area of the network is bound to be an expensive mistake isn't it?

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 07, 2012, 23:22:37 »

I did Brighton to Great Malvern then to Gloucester on a 158 and it was perfectly fine, my only complaint was no plug socket Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2012, 23:26:16 »

I tend to sit at table seats, which means I tend to avoid legroom problems. I agree the FGW (First Great Western) 158s don't have enough legroom in airline though. I did Cosham to Cardiff on one in airline once and there was not nearly enough legroom. That's just a flaw with the layout of FGW sets though, not 158s themselves.

Legroom is much worse at a table seat if someone is sat opposite though. Unintentional footsie often occurs. As for the 'airline' seats, some in each coach have greater legroom. Go for the ones behind the rows which have under seat equipment.  

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2012, 11:06:29 »

If IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) coaches are going to be the same width as a 158's (which, though quite narrow, are only 0.03m narrower than alot of stock, including 175s) and three metres longer, trying to make them cover a wide area of the network is bound to be an expensive mistake isn't it?

There has been some very interresting corespondance in teh last couple of Modern Railways about what is the British loading gauge and the fact that a C1 ((on coaches) National route restriction) vehicle (allege go most places gauge) may not clear a supposed C! route because apparently the physical clearances are shrinking.

I presumme what's meant by that is as work is done on lineside structres or new ones added they creep a few millimetres closer to the track.

We know that happened outside Padd after the realingement and before wiring when the King's safety valves hit one of the overbridges bridges due to the ballast being too deep. We've got the same thing at Taplow on the Main lines where the ballast is too high and therefore trains can't stop on the Main lines because of the high step up is deemed unacceptable.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2012, 18:41:10 »

I tend to sit at table seats, which means I tend to avoid legroom problems. I agree the FGW 158s don't have enough legroom in airline though. I did Cosham to Cardiff on one in airline once and there was not nearly enough legroom. That's just a flaw with the layout of FGW sets though, not 158s themselves.

The FGW 158's are on the same seating / table plan as they were under Wessex Trains. Some of them have Richmond seats and the others have refurbished OEM 158 seats. I think there may have been a bit of tinkering with the seat pitch at the ends to create priority seats for less mobile customers though.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
  Print  

Jump to: