17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
08:35 Banbury to Didcot Parkway
Delayed
06:44 Exeter St Davids to Cardiff Central
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 09:16:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[163] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[105] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[59] Where have I been?
[58] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[49] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol: Cycling City  (Read 61627 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2011, 02:55:15 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Bristol's cycling city partnership awarded extra money

An extra ^60,000 has been given to improve the situation for cyclists in and out of Bristol city centre.

The additional funds will go towards developing extra infrastructure and installing cycle contra-flows in the city centre.

South Gloucestershire is improving links between key locations and signing to local destinations.

Councillor Brian Allinson said: "The funding will enable us to keep the project's momentum up."

Bristol was awarded ^22m in 2008 to help encourage residents to ride bicycles.

Transport minister Norman Baker said it was important to develop a sustainable transport network despite the current financial difficulties.

"We are giving councils across England over ^800,000 extra before the end of this financial year to ensure more people are encouraged to cycle."

The two councils have also applied for additional funding from the government's sustainable transport fund.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 21:37:33 »

From the Bristol Post:

City council forbids all cycling events in parks

Bristol City Council ^ which runs the UK (United Kingdom)'s first and only Cycling City ^ has banned all cycling events in its parks for the rest of the year because of fears they will damage wet grass.

Organisers who were forced to move their events say the council's attitude is "disappointing" especially because of the city's cycling status.

But the authority has insisted the ban in its parks is only temporary, and is because of possible damage to grass after the wettest summer in 100 years.

Craig Denning, 36, from Keynsham, has been cycling for 20 years and organises the Western Region Cyclo-cross League. He was due to hold an event at Hengrove Park on Sunday but had to change the venue at short notice.

He said: "I have already held three cycling events on council land this year and when I didn't receive a licence for this event, I had to chase the council officer involved. Eventually I was told a decision had been made to suspend all cycling events on council owned sites."

Mr Denning said the council told him that a wet summer, coupled with budget cuts, meant they were not prepared to put cycling events on at risk of damage to the land.

When he asked whether the suspension would also apply to football and rugby, the council confirmed these events would be going ahead as normal.

Mr Denning said: "It's ridiculous ^ Hengrove is a sports facility, not an area of outstanding natural beauty."

He had also been told the council would be asking for a ^2,500 deposit ahead of each event incase of damage to its land, but says he was told even that route ^ which he would not have been able to afford anyway ^ was closed to him.

Council spokeswoman Kate Hartas said: "The council met the organisers yesterday, who have now identified an alternative to their Hengrove Park event. The council is keen to work with the group on developing their 2013 programme on suitable sites, providing the most enjoyable rides with the minimum damage to park land, and it is also looking at what support in kind it can provide to keep bond costs down.

"The original advice was given for pro-park reasons, and not anti-cycling ones. The group were advised that the winter season following the wettest summer for 100 years is simply not a good time for cycling on park land. The grass is dormant, the turf will be significantly damaged, and it will not even begin to grow back for five or six months.

"The council was concerned about the impact on other park users. The group was told an event would require a significant bond ^2,500 per event ^ for expected repairs to the turf."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 15:43:18 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Bristol to get first 'Dutch-style' segregated cycle lanes

The new Dutch style cycle way will form the first part of the new Avon promenade

A new continental-style segregated cycle lane - the first of its kind in Bristol - is to be built.

The ^380,000-lane, which is due to open in the summer, will run along the River Avon at Clarence Road in Bedminster.

The road will be narrowed, parking bays removed and a separate 10ft (3 metre) cycle way and footpath constructed.

The 2296ft (700m) lane will be part of a new "promenade" scheme which will link Bristol and Keynsham along the river.

The Clarence Road cycle way will stretch 700m along the River Avon

Bristol mayor George Ferguson, an independent, says the scheme is modelled on similar cycle ways from the Netherlands and Denmark and will be a two-way, segregated track. He said the lack of space on Bristol's roads was behind the segregated path. "This scheme is exactly what we are going to see more of in Bristol as cycling and walking routes are improved," he said.

Mr Ferguson called for "wider measures" in the city, such as cycle training and work with employers, to make cycling a "more regular, normal and safer experience".

But Conservative councillor Richard Eddy claimed Bristol City Council had a reputation of "being steadfastly anti-car" and that new cycle lanes in the city were "a political totem". He said the routes were a "means of reducing road-space" for cars and business users, adding that the council should be supporting those businesses instead of reducing capacity on the roads.

Sgt Sean Underwood of Avon and Somerset Police said the force wanted to see an increase in "respect" between road users.

The cycle way will eventually stretch from Keynsham to Hotwells

"What we are trying to do is stop that divide between motorists and the cyclist," he said. "Our aim to try and bring them together a bit more so that they respect each other and therefore don't commit offences, because they are thinking about the other party."

Safer cycling?

In the Netherlands "cyclists are considered to be fully fledged road users" with the same rights as motorists.

Tom Godefrooij, Senior Policy Advisor at the Dutch Cycling Embassy, claimed cyclists don't feel safe "if they have to cycle in the midst of high volumes of speeding cars".

The new cycle lane will see cyclists segregated from motorists for the first time in Bristol.

"In those circumstances segregation will certainly improve the safety perception," said Mr Godefrooij. "It is important that cyclists legally are considered to be fully fledged road users, and as important as other categories of road users. Of course this shouldn't only be a legal position, but this equal status should also be reflected in the public perception of cycling."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

trainer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 22:01:26 »

Oh, how I laughed at the picture of a cyclist stopping to allow a pedestrian leaving a bus stop to cross in front.  I know it's probably a standard icon provided by the computer, but we are taken to another, parallel universe with some of these images from planners.  Smiley
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 06:59:31 »

And from Cambridge, steps ahead in cycleway / bus stop design ...

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/Floating-bus-stops-planned-for-Cambridge-trigger-safety-debate-20140226063000.htm

A new design of bus stop set to be installed on main Cambridge roads would allow cyclists to bypass stationary buses ^ but would force passengers to cross the bike lane.

The city^s first ^floating^ bus stops, proposed for Huntingdon Road and Hills Road, place the cycle lane between the pavement and the bus shelter, allowing riders to continue their journey without having to overtake buses or mix with other vehicles.

Disability campaigners have raised concerns about the risk of collisions with cyclists, particularly for wheelchair users and the partially-sighted.

Article continues

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 09:09:21 »

It boils down to two things - good design, and familiarity. Here's a simple explanation of the Dutch approach:

http://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2013/09/05/riding-around-the-bus-stop/

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2014, 20:27:35 »

Within the last year, I have become Two Wheels, Now! on occasions. My main ride is from home (close to Arnos Vale) to work (Portland Square, St Pauls) and the return. To my surprise on Day One, I found that I needed to share a road with motor vehicles for a mere 100 metres or so. I do not, and will never, use the dangerous cyclepath along the A4.

My main hazard is other cyclists, most of whom have abilities that far exceed mine. I get in their way unintentionally. The sheer numbers of competent cyclists make this more of a problem than I anticipated. I hope to improve. I can make a motor vehicle up to about 7 tonnes do exactly what I want. I have also had the same degree of control over a canal boat, a tank, a motorcycle, and a light aircraft. I did, to age 18, exercise the same control freakery over a bicycle, but it eludes me for the moment.

Sic transit Gloria Swanson

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2014, 23:53:16 »

I have an electric power assisted bike, so imagine my chagrin when I get overtaken by Sir Bradley Wiggins wannabes!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 17:44:47 »

Not a problem I have. Little old ladies, yes...

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2014, 16:33:23 »

From the Bristol Post:

Bristol campaigners back scheme to allow cyclists to jump red lights on city's streets

Australian authorities are considering allowing cyclists to run red lights ^ could Bristol follow suit?

A Bristol cycling charity has praised Australian officials for coming up with proposals to let cyclists run red lights.

The state of Victoria is considering a raft of changes to road rules, including cyclists treating red lights as Give Way signs.

The Australian government is also considering banning cyclists from wearing headphones and forcing drivers to leave more than a metre of space between their vehicles and cyclists.

Bristol-based national cycling charity and pressure group Sustrans praised the move, saying: "It's good that the Australian State of Victoria is thinking outside of the box with making cycling safer."

Bristol cabinet member and keen cyclist Gus Hoyt also told the Bristol Post he supported some of the ideas, including the red light plans.

The government in Victoria is said to be considering various options to make the roads safer and reduce conflict between cyclists and drivers.

Proposals include banning cyclists' use of headphones, allowing motorcyclists to share bike lanes with cyclists, requiring motorists to be one metre away from cyclists, allowing cyclists to treat red lights like give way signs, allowing those aged 12-17 to ride on a footpath if with a child aged under 12, letting cyclists with kids under 10 in a trailer or child seat to use the footpath and allowing all riders to use the footpath, provided that they give way to pedestrians.

Ian Barrett, regional director for Sustrans, told the Post: "These are certainly an interesting set of ideas, some more radical than others. It's good that the Australian state of Victoria is thinking outside of the box with making cycling safer and more convenient. What would help the most in Bristol would be to design deeper cycling integration into the road system. Reducing traffic speeds and extending the network of high quality routes where cyclists don't need to come into contact with many red lights or vehicles will make the most impact, enabling more people to cycle for their everyday journeys."

Bristol was made the UK (United Kingdom)'s first Cycling City in 2008 and ^22.8 million was pumped into the city to encourage more people on to bicycles.

Prior to Cycling City there were 73 miles of off-road cycle paths and tracks in Bristol. Cycling City has helped build, upgrade or improve 28 miles of cycle path.

Mr Hoyt, Green Party councillor for Ashley ward, said: "I agree with giving way on a red light if it was treated as a proper Give Way and not a green light. It could keep the traffic moving and prevent cyclists clogging up junctions."

A Bristol City Council spokesperson said: "We are always looking to learn from what other cities are doing, but clearly we have to be mindful of the legislative framework in the UK."

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2014, 17:38:02 »

As a cyclist I would not be in favour of treating red lights as give way signs.  Most days I see someone doing it while I am waiting at a set of lights.  Many look out for cars before they go through the junction but a number forget that often the red light for cars is accompanied by a green light for pedestrians who then get involved in near misses.

As for cycling on pavements if you could rely on cyclists to give way to pedestrians then fine.  Sadly you can't.  More than once I have nearly been knocked over by someone flying past on a bike.  I was also with an elderly couple walking near my home when a cyclist came up behind us ringing the bell furiously.  "Move over darling", said the man to his wife, "Bradley Wiggins wants to pass".

I am sure the real Bradley Wiggins, a knight of the road, would never do such a thing.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2014, 19:17:52 »

I was also with an elderly couple walking near my home when a cyclist came up behind us ringing the bell furiously. 

Cyclists using the pavements assume that all pedestrians have good hearing, are fleet of foot and can guess which way to leap should they be acute enough to hear the bell. Many elderly (and an equal number of not-so-elderly) people do not conform to this assumed profile.  A green light on a crossing in the UK (United Kingdom) has, until now, meant no wheeled traffic is coming at you legally. Sounds like both red and green could be blurred under this suggestion.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2014, 21:41:49 »

As a cyclist I would not be in favour of treating red lights as give way signs. 

In a previous job, I was trained by two former members of the Regional Crime Squad to do this exact same manoeuvre in a car. As no-one would die if I didn't do it, and someone could possibly if I did, the matter of safety was drummed into me. I have only once done it when not at my (then) profession and probably did it no more than a half-dozen times otherwise. A colleague did it and fell foul of the camera at one set of lights, collaring a fine and three points despite a letter from the boss. The magistrates took the view that had he been driving an ambulance or fire engine, they may have accepted a defence of necessity.

I was also with an elderly couple walking near my home when a cyclist came up behind us ringing the bell furiously. 

Cyclists using the pavements assume that all pedestrians have good hearing, are fleet of foot and can guess which way to leap should they be acute enough to hear the bell. Many elderly (and an equal number of not-so-elderly) people do not conform to this assumed profile.  A green light on a crossing in the UK (United Kingdom) has, until now, meant no wheeled traffic is coming at you legally. Sounds like both red and green could be blurred under this suggestion.

Pedestrians also assume that cyclists know what they are doing, not yet the situation in my case. On those pavements in Bristol designated as shared use, I regard myself when cycling as the interloper and give way to pedestrians, a courtesy I have not always been afforded when the boot has been on the other foot.

Now, please!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2014, 21:44:29 »

Pedestrians also assume that cyclists know what they are doing, not yet the situation in my case. On those pavements in Bristol designated as shared use, I regard myself when cycling as the interloper and give way to pedestrians, a courtesy I have not always been afforded when the boot has been on the other foot.

Couldn't agree more - I have been hassled by fellow cyclists for apparently not making "normal progress" - ie not threatening to mow down all in front of me!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2014, 21:46:34 »

Couldn't agree more - I have been hassled by fellow cyclists for apparently not making "normal progress" - ie not threatening to mow down all in front of me!

Concur - life isn't that short.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: