Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:38:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The next franchise - Severn Beach Line  (Read 9672 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2012, 00:03:54 »

The Severn Beach Line is currently running with a service provision that goes beyond the minimum laid down in the current franchise Service Level Commitment (SLC (Service Level Commitment)).

The current SLC is for just one train per hour, but it is thanks to campaigning from MPs (Member of Parliament), local councillors, Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways (FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site)), Severnside Community Rail Partnership (SCRP) and others that saw, in 2008, Bristol City Council (BCC» (Bristol City Council - about)) provide a subsidy for an increase to three trains every two hours (3tp2h - roughly one train every 40 minutes) between Avonmouth and Temple Meads. With South Gloucestershire Council stumping up a few pennies for a better service to/from Severn Beach without the need for connecting buses.

BCC reduced that subsidy by half in April 2011, but only because increased ridership and fares revenue from the increased service provision was covering costs, with FGW (First Great Western) agreeing that the decrease in subsidy would not affect the 3tp2h provision.

What I'd like to see in the new Invitation To Tender is a SLC that protects the current 3tp2h service provision, rather than one that only stipulates one train per hour as per the minimum franchise requirement in the current SLC.

In the past I've questioned the need for a 3tp2h service throughout the day, but having recently been out and about on the line surveying passengers and seeing the loadings I believe that this service provision should continue.

I'm yet to be convinced of the need for a half hourly service, which is what some people are campaigning for, mindful that this will require major infrastructure work. But in the short to medium term I believe the 3tp2h between Bristol TM(resolve) and Avonmouth should continue. With scope to see whether Avonmouth - Severn Beach could be provided with a more frequent service than the current one train every two hours in the off peak.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 00:16:19 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 00:47:59 »

I am a great fan of the Severn Beach Line, for various reasons (in particular, through my work for the Severnside Community Rail Partnership), even though I don't use the line frequently myself.

I do, however, entirely endorse bignosemac's comments about the need for the current enhanced service level being set as the new minimum franchise requirement - based on the passenger survey statistics and feedback from passengers during our passenger counts.

As to whether there is a need for a campaign for a half-hourly service (and I share bignosemac's reservations about the practicalities of that): perhaps it's good to continue to campaign for that, if only to prevent any future operator from reducing the current service, simply 'because nobody seems interested in increasing the service, after all'!  Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 01:54:26 »

Please forgive this cross-forum posting, but I've just replied to someone over at RailUK who was questioning the subsidy that the Severn Beach Line receives:

Thankfully. Running a railway is not like playing with a trainset, it is way beyond the scope of a local authority. Even just 'setting times and prices' is something which needs to be done from a wider, network-conscious point of view, not from the local civic offices. Bristol's Severn Beach line is a case in point, financially propped up by the local council after much fierce lobbying by its own dedicated support group, but ultimately running a service which is not entirely justified at prices which are recklessly cheap, and totally unable to stand up as a profitable operation in it's current form. Bristol's ratepayers are effectively funding the small minority who live close to the line, which incidentally includes several very affluent areas. Meanwhile the other side of the city gets the raw deal and pays more for a lesser service.

And my reply:

It's only fair to point out that the subsidy for the Severn Beach Line paid by Bristol City Council was halved in April 2011 from ^400,000 to ^200,000. All parties agreed that the increased patronage and fare revenue was sufficient to see the subsidy reduced without need to reduce the service back to the minimum specified in the franchise Service Level Commitment. If FGW (First Great Western) were not happy with the revenue generated on the Severn Beach Line following this subsidy decrease, you can bet they wouldn't have continued running the 40 minute frequency and would've reverted to the hourly frequency which is all they are obliged to provide.

Evidence of the increased patronage on this line is the fact that FGW have recently strengthened peak AM services from two carriages to three.

Come along to Bristol Temple Meads at 1803 and tell me that the current service on the Severn Beach Line isn't justified.

BestWestern, you do a great disservice to SVB Line users by suggesting the line only serves a small minority and/or affluent areas. Redland and Clifton are, I'll concede, relatively affluent, but a large proportion of passengers from those areas are non car owning students. Redland and Clifton also see large numbers of schoolchildren using the services, as well as leisure travellers forsaking their cars. The rest of the line covers less affluent areas and sees a healthy flow of commuters, either into the city or out to the industrial areas around Avonmouth.

I don't doubt that 'the other side of the city' is less well served. I can only presume you are referring to Bedminster and Parson Street. I agree, those stations should have better than an hourly service, but not at the expense of the hard fought for, and in light of the ridership figures, totally justified 2008 increase in Severn Beach Line services.

I think I'm qualified to point all this out. I've just spent the past two weeks surveying passengers on the Severn Beach Line on behalf of the Severnside Community Rail Partnership.

bignosemac has been stirred to get on his soapbox. I'm beginning to have a much greater appreciation of the work campaigners are doing elsewhere.....  Wink

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 07:33:02 »

On a related note, from elsewhere on this forum:

A wake up call on Page 8 for some in parts of Bristol, South Gloucestershire, Devon and Cornwall who may be under the impression that local authority subsidy will no longer be required once the new franchise starts:

Quote from: Cornwall Rail Strategy
28. The DfT» (Department for Transport - about) states that the new franchise will be tendered on the basis of the current timetable. This was welcome news as Cornwall currently enjoys a level of service over and above the level of service in the existing franchise specification. However, engagement with DfT officials has confirmed that the additional services currently paid for by local authorities (including the additional Truro -Falmouth services) will not form part of the base specification and so Cornwall Council will have to confirm that it wants to continue to fund the services.

29. If local authorities do not confirm ongoing funding of enhanced services within the new franchise they will return to the service specification level at the start of the existing franchise. This requirement will affect the half hourly service on the Maritime Line between Truro and Falmouth. Cornwall Council will have to continue funding this service level until 2015, as a minimum

I note that both bignosemac and Chris have stressed the need for the current enhanced service level being set as the new minimum franchise requirement, and it is a fact that the current Severn Beach Line subsidy deal with FGW (First Great Western) runs out in 2013, with the end of the current franchise.

Bearing in mind the instructions that the DfT have given Cornwall Council on related matters, do you know whether BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) will commit to continuing this financial support beyond then, guys?

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 14:36:43 »

Bristo City Council's 2012-2013 budget is due to be set on Tuesday February 28th at 2pm. This full council meeting will be streamed live online via the Council's website.

http://www.bristol.public-i.tv/core/

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 16:52:57 »

I am doing a bit of 'digging' on this one, and will post here again when I have some more information.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 13:29:42 »

From the Bristol Evening Post:

Parties urged to unite in support of rail services

Campaigners are urging Bristol councillors to reinvest in rail improvements.

They want the political parties to bury their differences and amend next year's council budget to improve train services.

​Pressure group Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways is asking councillors to reinvest the ^200,000 "saved" from renegotiating the subsidy on the Severn Beach line to provide a better evening service.

FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) spokesman Rob Dixon said: "We welcome the inclusion of rail investment in the council budget proposals announced by the Green Party and the Labour Party as a positive move but call on all four parties to agree funding for improved rail services.

"At present there is a gap of 100 minutes in the evening service on the Severn Beach line, and the service at Bedminster and Parson Street stations fluctuates between hourly, half-hourly and two-hourly.

"We want to see these gaps filled, to give a more frequent and predictable service to all Bristol train stations in the daytime and the evenings."

Mr Dixon said the group had written to councillors on the issue and will be attending the council meeting next Tuesday when next year's budget is agreed.

Last year the council renegotiated its contract with First Great Western to continue to operate trains on the Severn Beach line approximately every 40 minutes during the day. As a result of the huge increase in passenger numbers since 2008, it was able to reduce spending on the rail service by ^200,000-a-year.

FOBSR says the authority passed up the opportunity to use this money to improve evening or weekend services. Although the council said at the time that further improvements would be made, the pressure group says they never materialised.

FOSBR member Julie Boston said: "If the council made a new agreement with First Great Western this would benefit passengers throughout the city. It would demonstrate that councillors do listen and can act, and send a strong message to the government that the council is committed to seeing a half-hourly Greater Bristol Metro."

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 23:19:00 »

Have watched (more accurately, scanned) the Bristol City Council 2012/2013 Budget webcast. Over five hours, which ruined my planned TV viewing tonight. Praise be for the various TV catch up services. Only caught one mention of the Severn Beach Line in particular. Not surprising, as I didn't have the time or the will to sit through every minute of 5^ hours of dry debate. Local politicians do like the sound of their own voice. My ears pricked up on one or two occasions when I heard the magic word, 'transport'. Only for my hopes to be dashed when councillors starting crowing about the great strides they've made with bus lanes and (road) traffic management.  Roll Eyes

Drilling down on the subsidy for the Severn Beach Line and the City Council's position for the future of said line will take some time I think. Looks like I'll have to wait for the budget document to be published or for the response to my email to Tim Kent, Cabinet Member for Transport. Whichever comes sooner.

I'm not holding my breath.

Couple of things I did hear in my scan of the debate were the phrases, 'let's talk about this', or 'lets form a working group' or words to that effect. No. Stop fupping talking, and fupping do things. Bloody politicians. I thought the national ones were bad. Real eye-opener watching the local amateurs do their thing.

The only mention of the Severn Beach Line that I've come across is Councillor Tim Kent confirming that there will be an additional evening service on the line from September. No 5h!"t Sherlock. That information was already in the public domain. In fairness though he did confirm that this service will not be subsidised. If you're interested, that announcement can be heard at around the 3h11m10s mark of the boringly long budget debate.

Forgive me if I've missed any specific details about the Severn Beach Line. I've watched just about as much as I can stomach, but I will follow up with further specific information as and when I've either read the full budget document or got a response from the Cabinet Member for Transport.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 23:33:44 by bignosemac » Logged

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 19:42:01 »

Bignosemac, you're a braver man than I am! Thanks for listening to the webcast, someone had to do it!

Locally, ^78 million has been spent on bus route improvements, which not much passenger growth to show for it, just a fare rise. ^400,000 spent on the Severn Beach line raised passenger count by 90% over very few years, and a rail company is doing the unthinkable, by providing more than it has to.

Happily, all four local councils are now singing from the same hymn sheet on rail improvements. Let's hope something comes of it!

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 18:04:21 »

I've just noticed this in the Greater Western ITT (Invitation to Tender):

Bidders should note that stakeholders, including the Severnside Community Rail Partnership, have identified issues about low fares on the Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach line, where a zonal fare scheme is already in place. Bidders may wish to consider restructuring proposals for fares on this line.

The Severn Beach Line has a formal community rail designation from the Secretary of State. The Department^s community rail strategy explicitly covers flexibility compared to standard arrangements. The current zonal fares structure was put in place by special approval taking account of this flexibility in the light of the Secretary of State^s community rail strategy. If Bidders want to propose changes that would need special approval, because they would fall outside current fares regulation, they should make this clear in the Bid, including identifying what changes would be necessary, when and how they would wish to implement them and any benefits (and downsides) that flow from the changes.

Currently the SVB Line has a zonal flat fare structure for journeys wholly on the line. There are no differences between peak and off-peak travel.

The three zones are; Inner Zone - Clifton Down<-> Bristol Temple Meads, Outer Zone - Clifton Down<->Severn Beach and a Whole Line Zone for journeys that go through Clifton Down, e.g Avonmouth to Redland.

Fares are very good value and easily beat bus fares on parallel routes.
  • A single for a journey in the Inner or Outer zones is ^1.50 with the day return ^2.00
  • A single for a journey in the Whole Line Zone is ^2.00 with the day return ^3.00
Railcard discounts are 50% instead of the usual 34%.

I'm wondering what this section of the ITT is all about. Have the Severnside Community Rail Partnership and other stakeholders come to believe that the fares structure on this line is wrong, or just that the fares are too low? If the former then that's a little surprising as SCRP were instrumental in seeing in the zonal fares system. The latter is more believable as fares on the line haven't risen at all since the introduction of zonal fares in May 2007.

Also of note is that the annual subsidy from Bristol City Council that funded the the introductions of a roughly 40 minute service Mon-Sat and a new sunday service has been reduced twice since it was introduced in 2008. It was ^400,000 from 2008, this was halved in 2011, and (I believe, although no-one in a position to know will tell me) halved again this year. The subsidy is now less, in real terms, than it was when First were awarded the franchise in 2006 and when the service was less frequent Monday to Saturday and non-existent on Sundays.

That said, these fares and subsidy policies have seen passenger numbers increase by 60% since the introductions of a more frequent service. Revenue collection has vastly improved as well. I wonder though whether the current service levels are sustainable with the relatively low fares and reduced subsidy. Could there be a large increase in fares on the horizon or a scrapping of the zonal fares system?

At least the 'Train Service Requirement' for a 40 minute service has been kept for the next franchise period.

Food for thought.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 13:38:03 »

It is remarkable that the fares have been kept at these rates (with a weekly ticket from SVB to Temple Meads only ^9.00) since 2008. The simple cheap fares have no doubt been a major factor in the success of the Severn Beach line. Ticket machines on platforms would reduce the opportunity for freebies to anywhere but Temple Meads, and would provide even more revenue. Revenue collection has improved, but the two conductors have no chance of making it through the entire train, given the short gaps between stops after Clifton Down. It's a real nuisance when travelling beyond Temple Meads, as it means queueing for a ticket, and I have missed my onward connection before now.
Given that the line almost pays for itself now, it should be seen as a very good model for the Metro. Fare structure is going to have to change for that, but hopefully the temptation to see it as a cash cow will be resisted. To be a success, the Metro will need to provide ticketing, preferably smart, across modes of transport. The cheaper it is, the more it will be used. Making it cost more than the current Dayrider on the buses would defeat the object, and there are already anomalies in fares, such as BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) to FIT costing the same as BRI to SVB.
Not sure of the subsidy answer. It was certainly reduced to ^200K last year, despite the provision of extra rolling stock and an extra evening service. Payments for support will be taken over by central government when the new franchise opens for business.
In no more than 7 years, the Severn Beach line has gone from a proposal to rip the tracks up and replace it with a guided busway (like the option proposed for the stupid ^49m BRT2 route) to a revenue-neutral service with huge growth in passenger numbers that has laid the keel for the whole Metro service. There is no reason why it should not continue to be sustainable. It is a good example of how to do it right, and shows how rail travel can easily be made to work in the local context. Portishead looks definite now, and will reinforce that perception.
Anyone listening at West of England Partnership? Thought not.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 22:49:43 »

Thanks for your kind comments about the Severn Beach Line, Four Track, Now! - even though I do have something of a vested interest in the matter, which I'll confirm again now  Wink Cheesy Grin:

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 17:18:24 »

Agree with all you say Four Track, Now!

Moderator note: Ongoing discussion on the finer points of where and when you should buy a ticket when you've started your journey from a station with no facilities, has been split from this thread and given its own topic on the 'Fare's Fair' board. bignosemac

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: