Charles Howeson
<< < (3/8) > >>
bobm:
I too have met him.  My occasion was on the Pullman - where he offered to help the First Class host with the trolley and then sat opposite me for a meal where he was a very interesting dining companion.
Chris from Nailsea:
From the Western Morning News:

Plymouth and Devon Chamber of Commerce appoints new president

Charles Howeson who recently opened the new PwC offices in Plymouth has been appointed President of the Plymouth and Devon Chamber of Commerce

Plymouth and Devon Chamber of Commerce has appointed a new president.

Charles Howeson, the current chairman of Plymouth Area Business Council and former chair of First Great Western Trains Advisory Board has been appointed to the role in succession to Sir John Parker.

Mr Howeson who spent 25 years in the Royal Navy is a passionate believer in Plymouth, the Southwest and indeed the wider region, having been an active economic champion now for over two decades. He said: "I will fight tirelessly to assist in the making of common cause in support of the economic development agenda beyond its boundaries whenever and wherever appropriate. I urge everyone in the business community to engage with the chamber now, and at this juncture whether they had need of the comprehensive tariff of direct support services that are available, or not."

Richard Stevens, chairman of Plymouth and Devon Chamber of Commerce, said: "I am delighted to welcome Charles as president of the chamber. Following the news of our widened geographic expansion, Charles' addition to the board brings another skill set enabling further opportunities for us to coordinate a one voice lobbying approach which this region needs. I look forward to working with Charles over coming years, this enabling the Chamber to benefit from his experience as he assists us in driving the Chamber forward to benefit businesses across Plymouth and the Devon region."

Chris from Nailsea:
From the Western Morning News:

Honorary role for business leader Charles Howeson

Charles Howeson

Leading business figure Charles Howeson is to become the Honorary Vice-President of Devon and Cornwall Business Council.

After a distinguished 25 year career with the Royal Navy, culminating in the role of Chief of the Allied Staff in Gibraltar, Charles embarked on a successful commercial career.

More recently, Charles has made a direct contribution to urban regeneration, regional economic development and national industry and infrastructure performance through an increasing range of public service appointments in the voluntary, community, and 'not for profit' sectors.

Mr Howeson said: "I am delighted and also honoured to be joining the DCBC team at a time when clear strategic messaging has never been more important for the region. Having been an enthusiastic supporter right from the outset, I am glad that henceforward I will be able to make a more direct contribution to the key cross county economic and infrastructure agenda and also to help us to punch our weight in London and internationally."

Charles has held a number of high profile board appointments over recent years, including: Chairman of First Great Western Trains Advisory Board, Chairman National Health Service Property Services Ltd (National) and was Chairman of the Strategic Health Authority for the South West, Chairman the Consumer Council for Water in the West, whilst in the private sector, Chairmanship of the Rowe Group, one of the largest private company groups based in the South West, Chairman of SPS Ltd (Pathology) and Regional Chairman of Coutts and Co bankers and of Harvey Nash plc. He is also a trustee of the Bermuda Institute of Oceanographic Sciences (BIOS) and of the 19th Duke of Somerset. Until recently he was Chairman of the UK Seafish Industry Authority.

As a champion for his home town of Plymouth and the wider region, Charles has Chaired the Plymouth Area Business Council for the past 15 years and has recently been appointed as President of Plymouth and Devon Chamber of Commerce.

Charles will add strength and depth to DCBC's strategic lobbying activities through his connectivity into London, Westminster and Whitehall. In addition, Charles will play a key role in further strengthening DCBC's position as the single voice for the business community across Devon and Cornwall, something which is more important now than ever before.

David Whiteley, Honorary President of DCBC, said: "I warmly welcome Charles aboard DCBC. His experience and skills will greatly enhance the capacity of DCBC in lobbying for the best deal for businesses in the region."

Tim Jones, Chairman of DCBC, said: "I am delighted to welcome one of the most distinguished business leaders in the SW to join DCBC at an important moment in the council's strategic business growth. Charles will add considerable weight to a number of highly significant regional and national opportunities"

Chris from Nailsea:
I have it on the very best of authority (from someone who joined him for lunch on a Pullman yesterday) that Charles Howeson is still very much 'out and about' on the railways.

Best wishes, Mr Howeson.  :)
Chris from Nailsea:
From the Western Daily Press:

Ex-Great Western train boss Charles Howeson arrested over historic sex claims

A former First Great Western chief and senior member of staff at the Queen's bank has been arrested for historical sex offences.

Charles Howeson, 66, was regional head of Coutts and was also appointed by Her Majesty to be one of her Royal Navy Honorary Captains.

He was arrested by police after allegations were made against him and he was questioned by detectives last month.

Mr Howeson, who grew up in Cornwall, has not been charged and was released on bail until September and he has responded by issuing a vehement denial of the accusations.

Police say the allegations of historical sex abuse go back many years.

A spokesman said: "A 66-year-old man from Plymouth was arrested on suspicion of historical sexual offences and has been bailed pending further inquiries."

Mr Howeson said he refuted the allegations and questioned "the motives behind the accusation".

He made his name at the helm of organisations including First Great Western, NHS South West and the regional arm of the Queen's bank, Coutts and Co.

He is also vice president for life of the Plymouth Drake Foundation, a charity he founded in 2008 to help communities in his home city.

Mr Howeson said: "I can confirm that I've been assisting the police in relation to an allegation of a historical nature against me, which I refute. I would like to make it clear that I have not been charged and question the motives behind the accusation. I look forward to the police completing their inquiries so my family and I can continue with our lives."

Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page