Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 02:29:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Charles Howeson  (Read 71354 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2007, 12:03:52 »

From the FGW (First Great Western) website :

"Following the resignation of Sir Chay Blyth as Chairman of First Great Western and appointment as Chairman of the First ScotRail advisory board, The board of First Great Western Trains has appointed consumer champion and West Country business leader Charles Howeson, to be its new chairman with effect from midday, today Monday 19 November 2007." (link below.)
http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/NewsItem.aspx?id=567

Quote from Andrew Haines :

^As a well established consumer champion from a high profile business background Charles brings a valuable new insight and approach to First Great Western as we now move from physically consolidating the three former franchises into concentrating on being thoroughly ^customer centric^ in all that we do."

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 14:38:25 »

Passengers who branded First Great Western's train services the worst in the country are right according to Charles Howeson (link below.)
http://thisisplymouth.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=133464&command=displayContent&sourceNode=133158&contentPK=19686799&folderPk=78031&pNodeId=133174

Mr Howeson has responded to the damning verdict by saying services in and out of Plymouth would be back on the rails 'as soon as possible'.

Quotes :

"So I am determined henceforward that FGW (First Great Western) treat each and every one of our customers (passengers) just as if they were the company's own shareholders."

"If you don't want to believe me then that is your privilege, but I mean what I say.

"All of us at FGW want to run the very best railway in the country for you, and the climb back to our all having a real pride in what we do at all levels of the company has already started."

Unsurprisingly, not everyone who commented on the article was convinced, so Charles Howeson added a response to them in the comments section :

Sorry that my explanation does not appear to be satisfying the three of you above, but I am simply telling it as it is. FGW will actually pay the Government ^1.3m for the privilege of running this franchise, and the re-investment that I have referred to (more trains and more crews) is not likely to leave us making the fat profits that you refer to. The point is that we have taken on this job, and we are going to do it and do it well, regardless of the cost to us, and albeit after a slightly slow start and, yes, the Government allocates the railways rolling stock. With the fares pegged and a retrospective compensation arrangement now in place, looking forwards is up to us to get the punctuality right and if I said that we could do it by tomorrow, looking it would not be true - that is why I have said that you will notice a difference by the early summer.

Charles Howeson, FGW HQ (Headquarters)

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
John R

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 19:50:44 »

Maybe someone ought to point out to him that it's a tad more than ^1.3m premium that the franchise is required to pay. 1000 times more maybe?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 00:14:05 »

Passengers who branded First Great Western's train services the worst in the country are right according to Charles Howeson

" ... that is why I have said that you will notice a difference by the early summer."

Charles Howeson, FGW (First Great Western) HQ (Headquarters)

There you are, Jim: they've gone from "It'll be better next week" to "It will be better by the spring" to "You will notice a difference by the early summer."  Even then, will it be a difference for the better - or a difference for the worse?   Undecided

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 07:22:22 »

There you are, Jim: they've gone from "It'll be better next week" to "It will be better by the spring" to "You will notice a difference by the early summer."  Even then, will it be a difference for the better - or a difference for the worse?   Undecided
I think I even heard the words 'green shoots appearing' too!
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 14:39:20 »

Charles Howeson met Fare Strike protesters yesterday (links below.)
http://thisisplymouth.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=133464&command=displayContent&sourceNode=133158&contentPK=19698919&folderPk=78031&pNodeId=133174

http://thisisdevon.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=141507&command=displayContent&sourceNode=232739&home=yes&more_nodeId1=201778&contentPK=19699516
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 14:41:55 by Lee Fletcher » Logged

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 23:48:36 »

From the Daily Mail:

All aboard the train home! Immaculate six-bedroom house complete with outdoor model railway is yours for ^800,000
Train firm executive Charles Howeson is selling his 'perfect' family home
It features a 400ft working model railway, perfect for rail enthusiasts

It is surely the stuff of every little boy's dreams - a fully working 400ft outdoor model railway, right in the back garden.

Now, in news that will excite rail enthusiasts everywhere, this six bedroom property in Plymouth, Devon, has been put up for sale for just over ^800,000.

After much deliberation, train firm executive Charles Howeson has decided to put his 'perfect' family home called Smallack Barn, on the market.

He said it was time for him and his wife Emma to sell up as he battles a serious illness.

The home of the self-made millionaire and business leader - chairman of the First Great Western Trains advisory board - includes a drawing family and dining room along with a separate flat and a landscaped garden featuring a lake an outdoor hot tub and the model train set.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 11:16:26 »

"Battles a serious illness"

Oh, that's not good....
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 00:18:44 »

From Western Morning News:

First Great Western stakeholder chairman Charles Howeson stands down

Charles Howeson is stepping aside ahead of new franchise arrangements

The chairman of First Great Western Stakeholder Board has stepped down.

Charles Howeson^s decision follows the Secretary of State for Transport^s announcement last month, which set out the arrangements for the new Great Western franchise until March 2019.

He said that he has stood aside to ^refresh the team^ ready for the significant challenges ahead. It follows eight years at the forefront of the business, which has seen many changes in all areas of First Great Western^s operations, and delivered marked and sustained improvements in all key customer service measures.

He is succeeded as Stakeholder Board Chairman by Lord Faulkner of Worcester.

Mr Howeson said: ^It was my firm recommendation ^ particularly given the announcement from the Secretary of State ^ that the new Stakeholder Board must reflect the new priorities for the region^s principal railway going forward. That change needs to happen now so that, should FGW (First Great Western) be awarded a new franchise next year, my successor can make sure the changes needed will have had the opportunity to fully bed in.

^It is now the time to hand over the chairmanship and to refresh the team so the greatest possible emphasis can be placed on looking ahead and meeting the significant new challenges presented by the massive investment being made in infrastructure renewal right across the region. It was a rare privilege to be invited to come into arguably what I believe is now the finest railway company in the country as an outsider, and I have been honoured to work with an amazing group of talented individuals from the most junior through to those at the customer interface up to and including the boardroom.

^I am pleased First Great Western has appointed my close colleague Richard Faulkner in my stead, he is the ideal person to succeed me at this juncture and he takes over the reins with my warmest best wishes.^

Mark Hopwood, First Great Western Managing Director, paid tribute to Charles^ chairmanship. He said: ^Charles^ tenure as chairman of the FGW board, and then latterly of the advisory board, began at a particularly challenging time, and he can now be satisfied that he passes on his responsibilities at a time when the company has never been in a better shape. He is well recognised among first line colleagues and senior managers alike for his unique style of senior leadership, which centres firmly on putting people first. This culture is now embraced right across our operations, and I would personally like to thank Charles for his counsel, expertise and contribution to what has been an exceptional turnaround.

^It gives me great pleasure to welcome Lord Faulkner to be Charles^ successor, and I look forward to working with him with renewed focus on delivering what is best for our customers.^

First Great Western Employee Director Martin Stoolman said: ^I would like to add personal thanks to Charles for his great efforts during the past ten years, and for the support he has shown to me and my colleagues. The empathy he showed with colleagues in the early years as first line colleagues fought to deliver in challenging circumstances was much appreciated, and will be remembered by many.^

Lord Faulkner said: ^Charles has set the bar high, and with ^7.5 billion of investment set to be made in the network over the coming years it is important that First Great Western continues to get its relationship with customers, stakeholders and partners right. This is an exciting time for both the rail industry and the region and the Stakeholder Board and I look forward to helping shape the future to ensure customers really get the benefit of that investment.^

Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 18:33:53 »

Met him on a Pad -Pnz sleeper back in 2011. He was heading home to Plymouth but unfortunately there wasn't a spare berth for him. Didn't faze him one bit, and he happily chatted with passengers in the Lounge Car. It was evident that he loved the Sleeper service. Wish him well and hope he recovers.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 19:02:06 »

I too have met him.  My occasion was on the Pullman - where he offered to help the First Class host with the trolley and then sat opposite me for a meal where he was a very interesting dining companion.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 20:45:40 »

From the Western Morning News:

Plymouth and Devon Chamber of Commerce appoints new president

Charles Howeson who recently opened the new PwC offices in Plymouth has been appointed President of the Plymouth and Devon Chamber of Commerce

Plymouth and Devon Chamber of Commerce has appointed a new president.

Charles Howeson, the current chairman of Plymouth Area Business Council and former chair of First Great Western Trains Advisory Board has been appointed to the role in succession to Sir John Parker.

Mr Howeson who spent 25 years in the Royal Navy is a passionate believer in Plymouth, the Southwest and indeed the wider region, having been an active economic champion now for over two decades. He said: "I will fight tirelessly to assist in the making of common cause in support of the economic development agenda beyond its boundaries whenever and wherever appropriate. I urge everyone in the business community to engage with the chamber now, and at this juncture whether they had need of the comprehensive tariff of direct support services that are available, or not."

Richard Stevens, chairman of Plymouth and Devon Chamber of Commerce, said: "I am delighted to welcome Charles as president of the chamber. Following the news of our widened geographic expansion, Charles' addition to the board brings another skill set enabling further opportunities for us to coordinate a one voice lobbying approach which this region needs. I look forward to working with Charles over coming years, this enabling the Chamber to benefit from his experience as he assists us in driving the Chamber forward to benefit businesses across Plymouth and the Devon region."

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 23:52:31 »

From the Western Morning News:

Honorary role for business leader Charles Howeson

Charles Howeson

Leading business figure Charles Howeson is to become the Honorary Vice-President of Devon and Cornwall Business Council.

After a distinguished 25 year career with the Royal Navy, culminating in the role of Chief of the Allied Staff in Gibraltar, Charles embarked on a successful commercial career.

More recently, Charles has made a direct contribution to urban regeneration, regional economic development and national industry and infrastructure performance through an increasing range of public service appointments in the voluntary, community, and 'not for profit' sectors.

Mr Howeson said: "I am delighted and also honoured to be joining the DCBC team at a time when clear strategic messaging has never been more important for the region. Having been an enthusiastic supporter right from the outset, I am glad that henceforward I will be able to make a more direct contribution to the key cross county economic and infrastructure agenda and also to help us to punch our weight in London and internationally."

Charles has held a number of high profile board appointments over recent years, including: Chairman of First Great Western Trains Advisory Board, Chairman National Health Service Property Services Ltd (National) and was Chairman of the Strategic Health Authority for the South West, Chairman the Consumer Council for Water in the West, whilst in the private sector, Chairmanship of the Rowe Group, one of the largest private company groups based in the South West, Chairman of SPS (Small Part Steel) Ltd (Pathology) and Regional Chairman of Coutts and Co bankers and of Harvey Nash plc. He is also a trustee of the Bermuda Institute of Oceanographic Sciences (BIOS) and of the 19th Duke of Somerset. Until recently he was Chairman of the UK (United Kingdom) Seafish Industry Authority.

As a champion for his home town of Plymouth and the wider region, Charles has Chaired the Plymouth Area Business Council for the past 15 years and has recently been appointed as President of Plymouth and Devon Chamber of Commerce.

Charles will add strength and depth to DCBC's strategic lobbying activities through his connectivity into London, Westminster and Whitehall. In addition, Charles will play a key role in further strengthening DCBC's position as the single voice for the business community across Devon and Cornwall, something which is more important now than ever before.

David Whiteley, Honorary President of DCBC, said: "I warmly welcome Charles aboard DCBC. His experience and skills will greatly enhance the capacity of DCBC in lobbying for the best deal for businesses in the region."

Tim Jones, Chairman of DCBC, said: "I am delighted to welcome one of the most distinguished business leaders in the SW to join DCBC at an important moment in the council's strategic business growth. Charles will add considerable weight to a number of highly significant regional and national opportunities"

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 20:51:26 »

I have it on the very best of authority (from someone who joined him for lunch on a Pullman yesterday) that Charles Howeson is still very much 'out and about' on the railways.

Best wishes, Mr Howeson.  Smiley

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 20:07:39 »

From the Western Daily Press:

Ex-Great Western train boss Charles Howeson arrested over historic sex claims

A former First Great Western chief and senior member of staff at the Queen's bank has been arrested for historical sex offences.

Charles Howeson, 66, was regional head of Coutts and was also appointed by Her Majesty to be one of her Royal Navy Honorary Captains.

He was arrested by police after allegations were made against him and he was questioned by detectives last month.

Mr Howeson, who grew up in Cornwall, has not been charged and was released on bail until September and he has responded by issuing a vehement denial of the accusations.

Police say the allegations of historical sex abuse go back many years.

A spokesman said: "A 66-year-old man from Plymouth was arrested on suspicion of historical sexual offences and has been bailed pending further inquiries."

Mr Howeson said he refuted the allegations and questioned "the motives behind the accusation".

He made his name at the helm of organisations including First Great Western, NHS South West and the regional arm of the Queen's bank, Coutts and Co.

He is also vice president for life of the Plymouth Drake Foundation, a charity he founded in 2008 to help communities in his home city.

Mr Howeson said: "I can confirm that I've been assisting the police in relation to an allegation of a historical nature against me, which I refute. I would like to make it clear that I have not been charged and question the motives behind the accusation. I look forward to the police completing their inquiries so my family and I can continue with our lives."

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: