Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 08:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:38 Exeter St Davids to Okehampton
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
07:54 Looe to Liskeard
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:19:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathrow Express: industrial relations, corporate dress and other discussions (merged)  (Read 18280 times)
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 11:10:54 »

That uniform is absolutely appalling - I pity the staff.

If they had made it orange it could have been high visibility and dual purpose.

All very sad - another reason for a strike?
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 17:13:13 »

Reminds me of that schoolboy joke, 'how would you hide an elephant in a bowl of custard?' for some reason...  Grin

Looks like ideal camouflage for that particular situation.

Paul
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 21:52:51 »

Oh dear.. If it were April 1st I'd almost understand it.. Roll Eyes Grin
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 22:30:35 »

That uniform is SHOCKING. Shocked Somebody please report it to the DM!

Surely HEx will get absorbed into Crossrail. I cannot see it suruvuing in the long term, as it eats vital fast line paths and passenger numbers will dwindle once people can board a Crossrail train straight to Canary Wharf in 45 minutes. I suspect it'll get axed. Grin
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 22:31:45 »

A friend of mine pointed out where she thought Heathrow Express' inspiration came from.

I am no longer an active member of this website.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 10:04:18 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Heathrow Express rail strikes called off

A union has called off strikes on the Heathrow Express after a dispute over disciplinary action taken against two employees was resolved.

The Rail Maritime and Transport union had walked out twice and had scheduled two more strikes for this weekend.

The industrial action had been in protest at the sacking of a driver and action against another worker.

The Heathrow Express rail link runs from the west London airport to Paddington station.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 14:11:05 »

From Buying Business Travel (13/06/2014):

Heathrow Express hit by fresh strike action

Rail union RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime & Transport Workers) has confirmed a fourth wave of industrial action across Heathrow Express, in a long-running row over pay and working conditions.

The strikes will take place from midday on June 19 until midday on June 20, and again for 24 hours on June 22.

RMT claims Heathrow Express management ^sabotaged^ this week's (June 11) ACAS talks and has ^resorted to issuing threats to sack hundreds of staff^ if members don^t call off their strikes.

The union said the company is taking "an all-out assault on pay, jobs and safety^.

Heathrow Express has warned it cannot rule out job losses if the RMT presses ahead with further ^wrong-headed^ strike action.

The company issued the stark warning after fresh strike dates were issued by union group the RMT, which claims Heathrow Express^ management plans to cut 201 jobs, freeze staff pay, remove the Customer Service Representative Grade and create a new Grade in its place on ^inferior pay^.

RMT acting general secretary Mick Cash said it put forward a viable framework for resolving the dispute, which ^wasn^t even considered^ by Heathrow Express.

^The planned axing of jobs, and the associated freezing and hacking back of pay and working conditions, is a kick in the teeth for the staff who have made Heathrow Express and Heathrow Connect the success story that they are today,^ said Cash.

^The staff have stood up and been counted and it is down to company to halt the cuts plans and start talking seriously about a safe and secure future for this vital London transport link.^

Heathrow Express^ managing director Keith Greenfield said: ^Job losses were the one thing our proposals avoided - but the RMT^s wrong-headed path of repeated strikes has added to our costs, forcing us to now consider redundancies.

^From the outset we have warned the RMT that strikes are not the answer as they are increasing costs when we are trying to reduce them. They have ignored this advice."

Greenfield added: ^The RMT leadership alone is responsible for putting its own members^ jobs at risk. We warned them. They ignored the warning. Now, entirely unnecessarily, their members^ futures are far less certain.^

Heathrow Express workers walked out for 24 hours on June 4 and for two 24-hour periods over the bank holiday weekend as part of the ongoing dispute.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 13:17:56 »

HEx is the jewel in the crown of BAA, sorry Heathrow Aiport Holdings, and it makes substantial profits. However since BAA lost most of its airports it has to make the money back somewhere.

I have know HEx senior managers to be backstabbing blackmailing people. (aledged). I do remember a few years ago when HEx were striking over the sacking of their rep that they even asked FGW (First Great Western) to provide cover. Needless to say when the FGW SSM asked the FGW dispatchers she was told to beep beep!
I also have personally seen the MD solo dispatching HEx trains at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains). Now as far as I was aware at the time he was neither licenced nor should he have solo dispatched as he could not see the full length of the train!

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 14:28:31 »

Now as far as I was aware at the time he was neither licenced nor should he have solo dispatched as he could not see the full length of the train!

How would you know whether or not he was licenced?  And given the platforms are straight at Paddington, why wouldn't he be able to see the full length?
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 15:13:28 »

Because I was told he wasn't licenced by the person who subsequently trained him in dispatch many months later.

Most platforms at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) have a curve on them towards the country end. Which is why when dispatching an HST (High Speed Train) set you are supposed to have 3 people dispatching, you can at a push get away with 2 (and TM(resolve) acting as 3rd person).

When you have two HEx sets working out of 6/7 you cannot see the full length because of the curve. You can see the curve here  http://tunnellingjournal.com/files/2011/07/Paddington-Station-architects-view-of-completed-PIP-observed-from-Bishops-Bridge-Road.jpeg
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 15:18:59 by SDS » Logged

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2014, 16:17:47 »

Most platforms at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) have a curve on them towards the country end. Which is why when dispatching an HST (High Speed Train) set you are supposed to have 3 people dispatching, you can at a push get away with 2 (and TM(resolve) acting as 3rd person).

Is that the same for inside curve platforms (odd numbers) and outside curve platforms (even numbers?)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2014, 16:30:53 »

When you have two HEx sets working out of 6/7 you cannot see the full length because of the curve. You can see the curve here  http://tunnellingjournal.com/files/2011/07/Paddington-Station-architects-view-of-completed-PIP-observed-from-Bishops-Bridge-Road.jpeg

OK, I understand now. I guess with HST's doors can be left on the catch, but that's not an issue on Hex. Can you remember where he was despatching from, as I would have thought a position close to the front of the train could have a clear sightline both forward and back.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2014, 18:38:37 »

From the TRTS (Train Ready To Start. A plunger/switch pressed by platform dispatch staff that informs the signaller that a train is ready to depart.) box which is middle London End of 6/7.

SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2014, 18:40:08 »

Is that the same for inside curve platforms (odd numbers) and outside curve platforms (even numbers?)

Yes. Sometimes you can't see the TGS on an inside curve thanks to the supports for the over bridge. TGS being a danger area as the door does not have CDL (Central Door Locking).

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: