Delayed
11:52 London Paddington to Hereford
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 13:41:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[226] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[107] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[46] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[43] Signage - not making it easy ...
[9] IETs at Melksham
[8] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Have you ever been unable to see images in a post even if others are commenting on them?  (Voting closed: May 16, 2023, 13:44:04)
Yes - I have had this problem - 5 (35.7%)
No - 9 (64.3%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hotlinking to images  (Read 1952 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 09, 2023, 13:44:04 »

Many of us posters link in to images held on other servers (our hosting on the Coffee Shop being very limited to attachments).  I (personally) have problems seeing one particular poster's images. There have been two or three other reports too but I don't thinks it's all that common.  This is a poll to help me establish the facts.

1. If you have not seen the problem, please vote "no".

2. If you HAVE seen the problem, please vote "yes" AND follow up with either a description of when you saw it (a link to the post that's giving you trouble) and whether it's on all your browsers / devices, or just some ("I can see it on my phone but not on my iPad" for example).

Serving images takes substantial resource on the hosting servers.  They are designed to hotlink, but  I believe that at times they'll blacklist certain requests because they feel they might be robots, or taking too many pictures.  This could be by IP address or address range, by individual host, by who uploaded the picture / who's account it is, by the browser string, by the referring URL, or perhaps by intermediary caches such as Squid and Varnish.   Clues from your stories will help me diagnose this and advise better when it crops up - a tough one to find because the issue is inconsistent and rare, and it's not in a transaction that's taking place on our server.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 15:18:26 »

Possibly the post was this:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=27351.msg333784#msg333784
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 14:18:07 »

Thank you for your inputs folks, and for the technical details some of you have forwarded.

Here is an example of the internal request made by a browser to include an image.  This example is from a link to the image at http://www.wellho.net/pix/ranpic.jpg

Request to the server once connected:
GET /pix/ranpic.jpg HTTP/1.1

Referer information included with the request:
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/

Browser description string included with the request:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS (Ordnance Survey) X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/15.6.1 Safari/605.1.15

Servers which allow hot linking have - as described earlier - software checks on them to see if they consider the requests genuine ones rather than churning out loads of responses to automata, and my conclusion is that some combinations of the referer and the browser (and perhaps the IP you're browsing from) are rejected.

I'm pretty sure that the referer is one of the key elements, as cutting and pasting the image URL into your browser's URL bar has - for all reports - made the image visible.

I'm also pretty sure that the browser string is key, since I have reports that the images are not visible from some browsers / devices but not others, even when the Coffee Shop is accessed in different ways from the same IP.

Solution - in "immediate mode", those of you who have the issue learn to live with it.  I have ruled out going general image hosting on our servers (mainly because of the extra management software and support needs). If we move from http to https, it may provide a solution. And we could conceivable come up with a list of hot links servers that work for everyone.  Longer term, a piece of clever coding could perhaps automatically mirror images, but all sorts of copyright issues there that I would need to think through.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: