Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 08:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:38 Exeter St Davids to Okehampton
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
07:54 Looe to Liskeard
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:26:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Site Statistics  (Read 88865 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2019, 10:15:48 »

Incidentally who programmed the software to show the time as 03:26:53 am  Smiley

Why not? Isn't 03:26:53 pm a valid date? The orthography may be unfamiliar, but...
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2019, 11:38:27 »

Incidentally who programmed the software to show the time as 03:26:53 am  Smiley

Why not? Isn't 03:26:53 pm a valid date? The orthography may be unfamiliar, but...

No. I would call it the time!  Grin
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2019, 11:52:34 »

No. I would call it the time!  Grin

A lot of common sayings don't bear close examination, and "you can't turn back the clock" must be about the silliest. Obviously you can - we all do it to match conventional time as it changes, with place or season. We can also do it for any other reason, for no reason, or by mistake. What we can't do is change time itself to match a clock.

On top of that, if you do turn your clock back a whole day, it says ...exactly the same. While a clock may have a date indication, that bit is a calendar, not a clock. (Electronics and computer jargon is different from everyday usage in this.) Of course you can't change time itself to match a calendar either.

But now I shall have to admit that confusing clocks and calendars just human nature, and hardly warrants such criticism.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 08:44:08 by stuving » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2019, 05:13:02 »

We have just completed the busiest August ever on the forum (measured in number of posts) - looking all the way back to 2007. Not by a huge amount, but the busiest anyway. 

Part of the growth can - for once - be assigned to a big positive - that was "Meet the Manager" when Mark Hopwood came onto the forum to answer questions early in the month.  There is still a tail of that to follow up  - thank you for various reminders over the last few days and, please, the delay / lack of that follow up relates to the forum and not to Mark or his team ... and we should concede "Meet the Manager" with a further "Thank you" and a rosy glow of how it worked, even though some of the elements discussed remain far from rosy.

Just like August 2018, the forum was busy in August 2019.  And, sadly, a significant amount of that remains concerns at issues ... staff shortages, cancellations, infrastructure issues have not gone away. Indeed short term cancellations on the TransWilts feel even worse than in previous years, and planned engineering service reductions  have been replaced by very short notice (a few hours up to a a day) which really knock passenger confidence.  We also have new problems like overhead wire problems. I do look forward to a quieter forum at some time in the future because there's nothing going wrong to take about - though even better would be a forum where we're onto positives ... pictures of the construction of Aztec West station, new artwork at Portishead, marketing of the combined rail-and-bus Wessex season, welcoming  the increase from 5 to 8 carriages on the half hourly Swansea to Portsmouth service, and celebrating the ForAll railcard.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2019, 15:57:52 »

In answer to a question I was asked ...

In the last day, 23 different members have posted
In the last week, 67 different members have posted
In the last month, 108 different members have posted

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2019, 21:33:21 »

A half hourley Swansea to Portsmouth and back, with 4 Voyager is but a dream, let alone 8 (HST (High Speed Train)?) would get me out and about again for sure, to Salisbury, Bradford on avon, Bath, Bristol, oh so many other nice places, fom here in Christchurch, well Hinton Admiral.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2020, 23:16:15 »

Some stats from 2019 from Google Analytics, comparing the Coffee Shop's traffic to other domains I took after on our server.

Usersuksessionpageviews
4985761Site 1
27838306340Site 2
37954389546Site 3
6933789742879The Well House Collection
28082198565011178MRUG» (Melksham Rail User Group - site)
65174581952699001715971Coffee Shop
39012037359455138534998Well House Consultants

I know we have some folks here who look after other web sites ... I would be very interested to know what the stats for some of them look like. I appreciate that would probably be private / in confidence rather than publishing stats and naming as I have done for four sites.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2020, 20:34:39 »

In answer to a question I was asked ...

In the last day, 23 different members have posted
In the last week, 67 different members have posted
In the last month, 108 different members have posted

I thought back to this post this evening ... when I noticed that each of the last seventeen posts has been by a different member.    Rather sadly, I'm about to break the sequence as I posted something else just prior to this.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2020, 13:59:55 »

We had a visitor from Eswatini last month (yes, I had to look that up) ... and 4,513 from the UK (United Kingdom), who came back (on average) between 4 and 5 times (20,216 sessions), visiting (again on average) 6.28 pages per session.

Early in the month, we also saw unwanted activity from Hong Kong - 1,156 users only one of whom came back, and each of whom visited just one page. These users were arriving in droves - arrival rates up to 20 times what we normally see and tested our server (I had at one point to reload databases); for the month as a whole, they accounted for 18% of our visitors (grand total 6,462) but less than 1% of pages served.  I have added something to our server configuration to spot these visitors and reject their requests meaning that they no longer get anywhere near the stats I am reporting, but there does remain a small resource call each time they ask and we tell them to "**** off". In future, I would expect to see other similar activity, modified (as happens with these things) so that they no longer get sent packing until I put another line in the server config. I don't believe this is a specific attack on the Coffee Shop - just us being caught in crossfire.

1670 posts in the month - not untypical for a February, with 125 new topics started. Which works out as 13.4 posts per topic.  5 years ago, it was 11.9 posts per topic and 10 years ago it was 12.2, so once again remarkably stable.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2020, 14:40:30 »

What an extraordinary month! Various sources - All for March 2020

Marginally fewer different users

Number of pages broadly unchanged

Number of pages per session increases

Number of posts increases during month

Public transport use falls off a cliff! (Government briefing)

and via https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52105526 :
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 15:09:57 by grahame » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2020, 09:43:30 »

April 2020 - 2184 Coffee Shop posts in the 30 day, with 102 members posting during the month. And those stats are startlingly similar to previous Aprils - we've had 1213, 1531, 1765, 2132 and 2370 in the previous five years numbers of posters in the month 124, 106, 104, 125, 116, 102.  But I do note changes - a thinnng out of GWR (Great Western Railway) and other publice transport operational posts, and a broadening of topics such as pastimes such as brodcast media.   

This is pretty much what I would expected bearing in mind the current Covid-19 emergency changes ... a paid survey report coming back with those results would typically warrant an "I could have told them that" and "what a waste of money doing the survey" response. But hidden within the numbers, a slight decline from last year in single-post visitors during the month, countered by more posts from 'regulars' - a 15% chargeover, if you like.  Again, with thought this might have been predicted.

Being "as expected", we have coped well and the forum has continued - perhaps one of the few normallities at the moment. Further challenges await - much depencent on the waves we have to ride in the storm of restarts, the potential sinking of services that were inconvenient, outdated or loss making, or the doldrums calm of continued lockdown, with the crew running out of supplies of stories, patience and sanity.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2020, 14:02:47 »

"Has the formum gone quiet?" ... a question of me the other day by a regular vistor. Hmmm ... it feels a bit that way. So I took a look back at ten years of stats - graphing posts per month (red line) and new topics per month (blue dots).

At first glance, July looks like a disaterous fall, with a levelling in August.  But then look back at the sawtooth and you'll see that traffic plummetted in early summer in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 ... not quite every year, but certainly an underlying seasonal pattern.  Further, we can correlate the forum's business to some extent against the performance of the customer provision by GWR (Great Western Railway), and I might suggest that recent years where summer posting have remained bouyant are summer years in which staff shortages and short forms have had a serious impact on performance it a way that we didn't see a few years back.   This summer, we're very much put of that comfort zone of normallity, few of us are traveling as much as we used to (some hardly at all) and perhaps it's remarkable how well the forum has held up.   Watching brief, adjustments to make perhaps, but no panic.  And a note that that the verical axes on that graph are compressed / not showing all the way down to zero.

Where perhaps we have drift-changed over the past few years is towards a wider area of posting - more topics of general rail interest not just GWR, more historic and heritage posts, a little more on other public transport, and also much more forward looking stuff to social change, climate change, and politics, and how they will effect rail and other transport use.  I'm delighted that the proportion of 'member only' and internal moderator posts remains very low indeed (though such posts are included in the counts above).

Now - what is the pattern of our visitors - this from Google Analytics for the last six months:

I am profoundly unshocked by anything here!   For comparison, here is the same diagram for the last month for http://www.wellho.net - my main business website, not gently servicng open source hints and tips and visitors not selected on natural geography, but rather on where in the world people are wrifing software and looking for answers in English.

GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2020, 16:39:08 »

Was the USA sourcing from yourselves on your cruise holiday perchance!

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2020, 16:48:28 »

Was the USA sourcing from yourselves on your cruise holiday perchance!

No ... based on worldwide searches for straightforward code examples in open source programming languages.  Most example provides start with the simplest possible "hello world" example, then take ten steps in their second example to something that's so complex it flies over people's heads.  We have a huge number of examples (but now becoming a bit stale) which help with the intermediate steps.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2020, 08:14:00 »

The start of a new month is when I look back at our site and server for the last month and do a quick review of how we've been doing. 1316 posts in September, down from 1375, and 1339 the month before.  Remarkably stable considering our server move.  Other stats and graphs are pretty much "no news" too.  Here is the graph from the domain - so including the switch point (I have drawn a red line at about the point we switched)

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: