Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:05:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum statistics  (Read 96376 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 02:28:59 »

Neither would I, grahame: that blue line showing the total monthly posts is quite volatile, and doesn't seem to follow any particular seasonal, phase of the moon, or other predictable cycle that I can discern ...  Roll Eyes

However: we live in interesting times, so ...  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 00:43:54 »

Chart now updated to include the figures for February 2013: see my original post above.

As might be expected, the blue line (showing the total number of posts for each calendar month) has dipped slightly, but the green 'moving annual average' line has continued to move upwards gradually, which is encouraging.

31 days in March, so we'll see what happens this month.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 00:52:24 »

In some respects, there is probably a correlation between number of posts on the forum and how well the rail industry is doing getting people from A to B.

November through January was a particularly trying time on the rail network, thanks, in no small part, to the atrocious weather. Major flooding affected services across the country and the region covered by the Coffee Shop was particularly badly affected.

When things are going well there is less reason to comment on that regular journey you make. When things have gone t*** up, folk understandably want to share their experiences.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 05:26:49 »

In some respects, there is probably a correlation between number of posts on the forum and how well the rail industry is doing getting people from A to B.

No huge public announcements or operational calamities in February. 15% down in post numbers;  4.5% down on posts per day as February is a short month.  Still a higher posting rate, I note, than any month in 2012!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 18:30:45 »

My chart has now been updated to include the figures for March - see my original post on this topic.

An encouraging and consistent level of posts over the past few months - with thanks to all who have contributed to our various ongoing discussions!  Cheesy

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 20:47:27 »

I have now updated the figures on my chart to include those for April (see my original post above) - again, an encouraging upward trend, on all three lines!

To add some gravitas to my rather simplistic statistics, grahame has posted his own thoughts at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=10588.msg131975#msg131975

As ever, I hope this is of at least some interest to someone on the Coffee Shop forum!  Grin

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2013, 21:39:04 »

I've now updated my chart to include the figures for May (see my original post above) - still an encouraging upward trend on the 'moving annual average' green line!

As ever, I hope this is of some interest to readers of this forum! Grin

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 07:09:22 »

Thanks for these posts, Chris ... the moving average (green line) is statistically the most meaningful on the graph. The monthly figures are so up and down that the major pattern they show is that there is no pattern  Grin and the red line is slugged by figures that go back to a time when our whole metrics were very different.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 00:50:38 »

Thanks, grahame.  Wink

I've now updated my graph to include the figures for June, and the latest version is now available in my original post on this topic.

The blue line has clearly taken a bit of a dive, due perhaps at least in part to our perturbation in service on the Coffee Shop forum in the past month, but the green line maintains its determinedly upward trajectory.

As ever, I hope this is of some interest to our readers.  Any comments or suggestions will be welcomed!  Cheesy

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 03:26:43 »

Noticeable dips in June and/or July in many previous years as well. Could well be a seasonal thing. We've also had little in the way of major news items affecting the Greater Western area. Still waiting for the announcement on the management contract. That should come before the parliamentary recess.

I agree that the major outage won't have helped either.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 05:28:52 »

It looks like a drop in posting rather than other activities, Chris.  June is a day shorter that May, and we were off air for a complete day too.  And look back to last year (as hinted at by BNM) - we saw a drop from 1469 to 1010 posts. This year was 1914 to 1273.

From Google Analytics ...
12676 unique visitors on 27792 visits in May 2013
13852 unique visitors on 31169 visits in June 2013

Logged in during the second half of the month - 200 different users.   Logged in during the first half, but not returned during the second half - a further 40 users. Without restoring an old backup onto a test system, I can't give you a comparative for a previous month, but I'm reasonably happy with the figures.   Not thrilled about the need to move the server in an unplanned way - which put us off air for the best part of a day, and then took a further day for the address change to filter round the world's caches, meaning that some users were out for the best part of two days.

In all of the circumstances, much as I might have predicted - actually perhaps a bit better.  Of course, if the railways suddenly ran all to time, had a more understandable fare structure, ran appropriate services with plenty of seats, and had passengers who all followed the rules and etiquette, our posts would drop to a few hundred per month.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2013, 17:28:16 »

Of course, if the railways suddenly ran all to time, had a more understandable fare structure, ran appropriate services with plenty of seats, and had passengers who all followed the rules and etiquette, our posts would drop to a few hundred per month.

Meanwhile, back in the real world - outside cloud cuckoo land and where pigs still don't fly ...  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 22:25:49 »

Of course, if the railways suddenly ran all to time, had a more understandable fare structure, ran appropriate services with plenty of seats, and had passengers who all followed the rules and etiquette, our posts would drop to a few hundred per month.

Meanwhile, back in the real world - outside cloud cuckoo land and where pigs still don't fly ...  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

Not quite flying pigs, but I was helping chase pigs up the road today.   Also visited a station with an appropriate service, caught a train on time and bought my ticket, on the day without splits, and got good value. And everyone was very law abiding and polite as far as I could see. 

phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 22:02:19 »

I have noticed what appears to have been a reduction in Forum Posts since the Server Problems.   Perhaps a number of members have not updated their LOGIN details.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 23:52:29 »

Also visited a station with an appropriate service, caught a train on time and bought my ticket, on the day without splits, and got good value. And everyone was very law abiding and polite as far as I could see.

Probably not Melksham, then - on some, but certainly not all, of those counts!  Roll Eyes Shocked Grin

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: