Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:57:41 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Filming of station staff  (Read 26843 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 12:41:00 »

After being asked to stop filming, he should've complied. There's the potential for a byelaw offence or harassment charge. Being a police officer is irrelevant. They aren't above the law.

If information on the binned TIR (Travel Irregularity Report) can be retrieved then it may be worth bringing the matter to the attention of the local constabulary. If someone is using his status as police officer to intimidate and harass then that is a serious matter that needs investigating.

Filming and photography is permitted on stations for non-commercial purposes. But staff have the right to ask you to stop. There's nothing stopping you taking pictures of people in public places within reason, but if you start shoving your zoom lens up their nostrils or taking action shots of their every step, there's a chance you might get a clip around the ear from your aggrieved subject or possibly face a legal charge of harassment or breach of the peace.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 13:45:03 »

To shed some more light on this matter, a passenger arrived with no ticket or money and details were taken to process a TIR (Travel Irregularity Report), parent then arrived with ticket and TIR was binned with no further action - parent then still persued matter and filmed member of staff even when.asked to stop also claiming he had every right as he was a police officer. 
Then quite simply the person was not a Police Office, I know quite a number of Police Officers they are extremely careful in the manor they get involved especially when in is a personal issue and when off duty; they certainly would have accepted the TIR had been voided.

In this incident the person doing the filming was being aggressive and threatening to the member of staff and run the real risk of being arrested (police officer or not)

In general most staff certainly on larger stations I suspect know they are likely to be in photos not an issue I guess for the "tourist" or rail enthusiast different matter where a photographer is taking pictures for financial gain, we should also balance against that the historic value how often have we looked at pictures from 25, 50, 100 etc years ago of railway staff performing their duties

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 15:00:58 »

Aside - we're short on "TIR (Travel Irregularity Report)" for the acronyms page.  I can tell what it is from the context, but what does TIR stand for?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 15:05:21 »

If I remember correctly it is a "Travel Irregularity Report" - it's something that can be forwarded on to revenue protection to deal with.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 15:08:14 »

And often used in place of an MG11 (Form to take a statement for use in court) by staff who are not PACE» (Police & Criminal Evidence Act - about) trained.

MG11 = Form to take a statement for use in court
PACE = Police & Criminal Evidence Act
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 15:45:08 »

But also used when the ticket appears to be irregular but at no fault of passenger holding it. Such as one mis-sold or misprinted.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
EBrown

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 15:54:54 »

also claiming he had every right as he was a police officer. 
He has the same rights as anyone else, if he was on-duty and was recording; then he'd need a warrant (I believe).

I am no longer an active member of this website.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 18:24:44 »

If I remember correctly it is a "Travel Irregularity Report" - it's something that can be forwarded on to revenue protection to deal with.

MG11 (Form to take a statement for use in court) = Form to take a statement for use in court
PACE» (Police & Criminal Evidence Act - about) = Police & Criminal Evidence Act

Added, thanks!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 20:50:31 »

As an aside, and coincidentally -

From the Epsom Guardian:

Police clarify train photography rules following "arrest" claim

The rules on train photography have been clarified after it was claimed that a student had been arrested for taking a photograph of a train as she could have been part of a "terrorist plot".

Following the Epsom Guardian^s online story of the alleged arrest at Tattenham Corner Station, British Transport Police (BTP (British Transport Police)) received a number of enquiries about when it is illegal to take photographs at train stations.

Chris Ward overheard a woman saying that a student taking photographs for a school project was arrested at the station and the photos deleted from her camera as ^she could have been part of a terrorist cell plotting some form of attack on the train^.

But BTP said no record was generated of the alleged incident.

Detective Chief Inspector Matt Wratten said: "We have taken the suggestion that an individual was arrested for photography on the railway extremely seriously.

"Had this arrest taken place it would have generated a report, however, we have searched all BTP systems, those of the Metropolitan Police Service and Surrey Police for the last 12 months and can find no record which confirms this allegation.

"There are no powers prohibiting the taking of photographs, film or digital images in a public place.

"Therefore members of the public and press should not be prevented from doing so.

"Moreover the rail network often attracts rail enthusiasts and amateur photographers and we, alongside the rail industry, recognise their valuable role in the railway community.

"If someone is taking photographs on the rail network they may be spoken to by a member of rail staff or a police officer but we encourage this engagement because photographers and their images play a vital role in helping us identify criminals and providing information.

"The rail network is a CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision)-rich environment, and this, combined with images sent to us by members of the pubic, means that we have great success in detecting crime."

A BTP spokeswoman added that a person may be stopped under terrorism laws, but no record of an arrest on this basis was generated either.

She said: "A police officer may stop and search someone under section 43 of the Terrorism Act 2000 providing that they reasonably suspect that the person is a terrorist.

"Under section 43 of the Terrorism Act 2000, a person can be searched to discover whether or not they have in their possession anything which may constitute evidence that they are a terrorist.

"This power may be used at any time or in any place when the threshold of reasonable suspicion that the person is a terrorist is met. No specific authorisation is required."

For further guidance visit http://www.btp.police.uk/passengers/advice_and_information/rail_enthusiasts.aspx

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 21:10:02 »

I'm going to start this post by typing "but I didn't"

I had been following updates on this thread today and this was still at the back of my mind when I changed trains at reading - from p4 to p7 . On the way to the western end of p7 (to catch the 17:36) there was a BTP (British Transport Police) official apparently being verbally abused by a member of the public.

I did wonder if there would be any justification for recording this abuse as possible evidence but (a) I didn't think it was my place (b) I didnt think the BTP officer would appreciate it and (c) I am fairly certain the member of the public involved certainly would not approve and it probably would have made matters worse.

I'm just wondering in anyone else here has ever recorded such an incident or been tempted to ?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 21:16:50 »

This is my personal opinion - not an official forum stance:

I'd suggest filming it, perhaps discreetly, and then offering it as witness evidence to the police officer's colleagues when they arrived.

Do not, however, post it on youtube first.  Roll Eyes

Chris from Nailsea.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 21:30:07 »

This is my personal opinion - not an official forum stance:

I'd suggest filming it, perhaps discreetly, and then offering it as witness evidence to the police officer's colleagues when they arrived.

Do not, however, post it on youtube first.  Roll Eyes

Chris from Nailsea.

@cfn I appreciate your opinion but in this particular instance the layout of p7 where the incident occurred would not have allowed discretion.

it's my opinion that posting such footage (like what I didn't take) should not be posted on youtube
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 21:33:24 »

To shed some more light on this matter, a passenger arrived with no ticket or money and details were taken to process a TIR (Travel Irregularity Report), parent then arrived with ticket and TIR was binned with no further action - parent then still persued matter and filmed member of staff even when.asked to stop also claiming he had every right as he was a police officer. 

If he was a police officer, he would be in deep doo doo with his inspector if he was reporter for trying to pull rank, whether in the right or wrong. If, as seems more likely, he wasn't, the doo doo would be deeper, for trying to impersonate an officer.

Now, please!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 21:39:48 »

I'm going to start this post by typing "but I didn't"

I had been following updates on this thread today and this was still at the back of my mind when I changed trains at reading - from p4 to p7 . On the way to the western end of p7 (to catch the 17:36) there was a BTP (British Transport Police) official apparently being verbally abused by a member of the public.

I did wonder if there would be any justification for recording this abuse as possible evidence but (a) I didn't think it was my place (b) I didnt think the BTP officer would appreciate it and (c) I am fairly certain the member of the public involved certainly would not approve and it probably would have made matters worse.

I'm just wondering in anyone else here has ever recorded such an incident or been tempted to ?

My job very occasionally involves being shouted at by irate (but wrong) members of Her Majesty's adoring public. I handle it as diplomatically and as quietly as I can. After a while, they run out of steam, and either I say my piece, or they go. I can handle it, and will shout if I can't.

A BTP officer can do this, and has the added advantage of police training, body armour, handcuffs, ASP extendable baton, CS gas, and a cellular radio that will make the station look like a crowd scene in The Bill in an instant. Oh, and they get a torch. They can cope, and your decision to leave them to it was a wise one.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 22:38:47 »

If you are not happy with the actions of any police officer, apparently abusing their position of authority, you may report them to the professional standards department of their police force: a list is available at http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/en/Pages/professional_standards_contact_details.aspx

Lips sealed

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: