Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:12 Reading to Bedwyn
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 05:57:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: BITE card - discount card for use at railway station outlets  (Read 54013 times)
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2014, 12:14:24 »

Fair point.

However, the BITE card already seems to cover most of the Select Service Partner Ltd UK (United Kingdom) railway station catering outlets - Camden food co; Millie's Cookies; Upper Crust; nam-po! noodles & sushi; Pumpkin; Bars on stations; The Pasty Shop; Delice de France; Burger King and Caff^ Ritazza.

Are there any others?  Shocked

At Paddington, Yo Sushi and McDonalds?

SSP don't run them.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2014, 12:58:22 »

Fair point.

However, the BITE card already seems to cover most of the Select Service Partner Ltd UK (United Kingdom) railway station catering outlets - Camden food co; Millie's Cookies; Upper Crust; nam-po! noodles & sushi; Pumpkin; Bars on stations; The Pasty Shop; Delice de France; Burger King and Caff^ Ritazza.

Are there any others?  Shocked

They operate some M&S Simply Food, WH Smith outlets and even a Harry Ramsdens presumable it is not as easy for them to accept Bite as the brand owner is also involved. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2015, 08:24:08 »

Pumpkin are advertising a breakfast bitty for ^1.25 at Swindon "when you buy any hot drink".   No small print.

So I bought an Americano coffee on my Bite Card and asked for the butty at ^1.25 ... but apparently the offer only applies to drinks not bought on a Bite card.   "I can ring both up then discount, or not apply the discount".

Misleading advertising.  And how to p*ss your customers off.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2015, 15:12:37 »

You would need to buy both in one transaction (to get the offer), then use BITe to get 10% off he total.

Definitely misleading if that's not the case
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2015, 16:52:37 »

You would need to buy both in one transaction (to get the offer), then use BITe to get 10% off he total.

Definitely misleading if that's not the case

Yep, I bought both in one transaction.  Offered either the coffee at full price and the bacon roll at an extra 1.25 - OR the coffee with a bite card discount and the roll at 10% off whatever its standard price would have been which "will work out more".   Had to feel sorry for the woman behind the counter who had been put into the position of having to explain / defend a misleading advert, and after making it clear I felt it was misleading in what it said - false advertising - I bought the coffee and the darned roll anyway.   But I'll take a packet of biscuits next Saturday!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2015, 17:00:50 »

... and checking even through their terms and conditions ...

Exclusions
Holders of a Bite Card are eligible for a 10% discount (or such other discount percentage as may be notified to all or any BITE Card holders from time to time) off purchases of food, hot and cold drinks and alcoholic beverages when they present the BITE Card at any of the following branded outlets located at mainline UK (United Kingdom) railway stations:
Upper Crust, Pumpkin Caf^ Shop, Bonapartes, Caff^ Ritazza, Camden food co. Delice de France, The Pasty Shop, Sloe Bar caf^, Burger King and Millie's Cookies.
Alcohol is sold at participating outlets during licensing hours only to customers aged 18 years or over.
The 10% (and/or any other notified) discount offer does not apply to the following product categories: confectionery, crisps, ice cream, newspapers, magazines, books, cigarettes, tobacco, telephone cards, The National Lottery and associated lottery products and such other product categories notified to BITE Card holders from time to time.
Please note that Burger King in Marylebone station is not part of the Scheme so the BITE Card will not be accepted at this outlet.
BITE Card offers are not available in any shopping centre outlet operated by Us and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.

There is no exclusion on "other special offers" or anything line that.    Naughty!

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2015, 18:16:34 »

"These promotions already offer a significant saving over the retail prices of the individual items"

So said the response I received from SSP some three years ago when I complained that I wasn't getting the (then) 20% discount on two canned beers bought together when they had a "2 cans for ^5" promotion.

Thing was, at that time, cans were around ^2.75 each, so the promotion wasn't significantly better. I started asking to pay separately. Pumpkin Taunton once refused to do so, so I bought one then queued up and bought another!

I imagine if you were to complain to SSP they will say similar today. That is that the multibuy promotions already offer a saving and they can't be combined with BiTE.

Naughty indeed. But probably not illegal. Invitation to treat and all that.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2015, 18:44:57 »

I imagine if you were to complain to SSP they will say similar today. That is that the multibuy promotions already offer a saving and they can't be combined with BiTE.

I have asked very nicely ... and we'll see!

Naughty indeed. But probably not illegal. Invitation to treat and all that.

Yeah - maybe.

Yet if the Ts and Cs included "special multibuy promotions" or something like that in their list of exclusions, and they stated "10% off regular prices / multiple discounts don't apply" they really wouldn't look so naughty. They seem to needlessly raise the prospect of a discount on something like this - a very good own goal!

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2015, 19:11:26 »

What are the T's and C's on Bite?  Do they exclude that with any other offer?
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2015, 19:20:46 »

BITE Card offers are not available in any shopping centre outlet operated by Us and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.

To me that seems to suggest it can't be used with any other offer.

Buying a butty for ^1.25 when bought with a hot drink sounds like an offer to me.

Just my personal opinion anyway, and agreed perhaps the ad should say 'not valid with bite card' in small print
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2015, 19:40:05 »

To me that seems to suggest it can't be used with any other offer.

Buying a butty for ^1.25 when bought with a hot drink sounds like an offer to me.

Just my personal opinion anyway, and agreed perhaps the ad should say 'not valid with bite card' in small print

You're probably right .. I'd missed that bit on the end of the small print.

Mind you ... what I had initially expected was 10% off the drink (which was NOT a special offer) and then ^1.25 for the bacon roll - as that was a special and I had fully anticipated no discount on it!

I have asked ... let's see what they say!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2018, 14:50:24 »

Bite card not working today - "till software updated and not accepting them at the moment".   Good on the chap serving - found a way to provide something agreeable and proportionate.

Solitary experience at one place, or a general problem?

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2018, 15:33:43 »

It worked at Bonapartes at Bristol Temple Meads yesterday but to be honest it was about the only thing that did. No lemonade, no orange juice, no draught beers and no china cups.

(Actually it wasn’t yesterday it was Wednesday - this short week seems very long for some reason!)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2018, 17:07:04 »

I've just tried to update my details on the website and request a replacement card.

Both efforts resulted in redirection to a page saying "whoops, looks like something went wrong".

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2018, 22:23:29 »

It's now not possible to apply for a card if you've never had one before according to their FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions).
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: