Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 25 Apr 2024
* Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:05 Reading to Basingstoke
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
Short Run
14:23 Exmouth to Paignton
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 14:54:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Have your say on bid to protect Great Western Railway's history  (Read 17415 times)
tramway

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 15:57:08 »

Didn't Brunel go through quite a bit of "Roman" heritage during construction of the line.  Wink

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 22:28:10 »

That he did. And flicking through my I.K. Brunel biography by L.T.C. Rolt it would appear that Bath had it's fair share of NIMBYs way back in the late 1830s as well.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 23:47:05 »

I picked up a copy of that book for ^2 in a charity shop in Penzance last week.  Interestingly on the way back on the train I was listening to a podcast by Adrian Vaughan who has uncovered evidence that some of Mr Rolt's material in relation to Brunel is not correct.

http://audioboo.fm/boos/409993-isambard-kingdom-brunel-the-intemperate-engineer

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 00:24:57 »

Thanks for that bobm. A most interesting listen. I still rate L.T.C. Rolt's biography of IKB (Isambard Kingdom Brunel), despite this more modern revisionism.

It's a truism of all historical accounts that different historians will come to different conclusions. And each of those historians will have their preconceived ideas about the person and events they are writing about.

Oh, and who is 'Jeremy Lloyd-Pack' (from 13:19 on the audioboo track) from 'The Vicar of Dibley'? Howard Benson himself was getting a bit confused there I think. If he'd met the guy surely he would know it's 'Roger Lloyd-Pack'...

« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 00:31:28 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 23:09:38 »

From the Swindon Advertiser:

Railway history is listed for posterity

The legacy of the Great Western main line will live on after more than 40 structures were given protected status by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

They include the Roman Road Bridge in Ermin Street, and the stone building on Swindon station platform, which have both been given Grade II listed status.

English Heritage^s project to safeguard historic railway buildings, bridges and tunnels along the line, has resulted in 35 new listings and seven structures already listed being upgraded.

Stretching from London Paddington to Temple Meads in Bristol, construction on the route began in 1836 to the designs of the father of railway engineering, Isambard Kingdom Brunel. ^The Box tunnel in Wiltshire, one of the most extensive and famous of the pioneering Great Western Tunnels has been listed at grade II, while the Roman Road Bridge ^ of an unusual rounded arch design thought to be a conscious reference to antiquity by Brunel ^ has received the same status.

The Dauntsey and Hunts Mill road bridges and the bridge near Swindon Road, part of a cluster dating from between 1839 and 1940, are being listed at Grade II as are the River Avon Viaduct, from the 1840s, and the entrance portals of the Chipping Sodbury tunnel and its six ventilator shafts.

Emily Gee, head of designation at English Heritage, said: ^This scale of consultation on designation cases is unusual for English Heritage and we were delighted with the thoughtful responses we received from railway history experts, local authorities and other heritage bodies. ^I am also impressed by Network Rail ^s commitment to respecting the special structures in their care.^.

Patrick Hallgate, route managing director at Network Rail, said: ^The Great Western railway is undergoing the biggest investment since it was built in order to deliver faster and more reliable journeys for passengers. ^The results of the consultation , provide an important step forward in modernising this rail route. It enables us to make informed decisions and, critically, protect sensitive structures while delivering major improvement work.^

Earlier this year, English Heritage ^ with the support from Network Rail ^ held a consultation on the history and descriptions of 50 buildings and structures in and around Maidenhead, Reading, Oxford, Newbury, Bath and Bristol. The consultation process involved a range of organisations and English Heritage worked closely with Network Rail and its professional advisers, and consulted local authorities, the Victorian Society and amenity groups like the Railway Heritage Trust, Steam Museum and National Railway Museum.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 11:29:07 »

The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) have also picked up on this - interestingly their article is illustated with the less famous Eastern portal of Box Tunnel.  Wonder if that was by accident or design!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-19045675
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 14:49:00 »

Talking of Brunel and his structures there are a crop of Brunel based programmes on TV in the coming weeks - I think all are repeats, but I havent seen all of them.

30th July 16:00 Blighty (534) Great Britons - Jeremy Clarkson's look at IKB (Isambard Kingdom Brunel) (also at 20:00 and 00:00 as well as 13:00, 18:00 and 22:00 on 30th Aug)
31st July 13:30 Discovery History (Sky 522) Building Wonders - a look at the construction of Box Tunnel
8th Aug 09:00 Discovery Shed (242) Garden Railway - a man whose model railway in his garden features many Brunel structures
11th Aug 08:00 Discover Wars (523) Off The Rails - description says broad-gauge wars at a centre dedicated to Brunel's GWR (Great Western Railway) (also at 17:30 and 03:00 the next morning)
21st Aug 12:30 Blighty (534) Climbing Great Buildings - Clifton Suspension Bridge (also at 17:30, 21:30 and 01:30 the next morning)
Tim

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 16:57:34 »

I picked up a copy of that book for ^2 in a charity shop in Penzance last week.  Interestingly on the way back on the train I was listening to a podcast by Adrian Vaughan who has uncovered evidence that some of Mr Rolt's material in relation to Brunel is not correct.

http://audioboo.fm/boos/409993-isambard-kingdom-brunel-the-intemperate-engineer

Adrian Vaughan of course has his own biography of IKB (Isambard Kingdom Brunel).  My preference is for Rolt, but both books are certainly worth a read. 
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 18:19:48 »

Agreed. I've now read 'The Intemperate Engineer' by Adrian Vaughan. Still prefer Rolt.  Wink

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: