19:19 Carmarthen to Swansea
Short Run
14:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 17:06:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[318] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[207] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[102] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[35] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[31] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[15] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Disruptions Board?  (Read 5865 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2012, 12:54:43 »

Is there merit in having a Disruptions Board?

It is sometimes something of a lottery where to put details of a line problem.  For example an incident at Southall - should it go in London to Reading because that is where it happened but then will it be missed by those travelling beyond Reading to the West, South Wales or the Coltswolds?

Or are we in danger of trying to duplicate what FGW (First Great Western) provide on their website and it is more of a historical record and therefore the posting location is not so important?
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 13:59:54 »

I actually really like that idea! Seems to make a lot of sense to collate them in one location and would make it much easier to spot them. Whether or not it duplicates the FGW (First Great Western) offering is somewhat irrelevant in my opinion, simply as this is a discussion board so will allow more feedback on each disruption, rather than a simple overview.

Gets my vote anyway Smiley
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 01:51:10 »

Hmm. Smiley

I do have some reservations as to whether a 'Disruptions Board' on this forum would be appropriate.

Commenting as just one of the members here who posts fairly often about disruptions: I tend to select the most relevant area for my post, with a view to it becoming an historic record only, within a fairly short space of time (hopefully!).

While I acknowledge that it's sometimes difficult to decide where best to post such items, I tend to try to keep it specific to the local line on which the incident occurs, where possible.  After all, there is always the option to resort to posting in 'across the west', if the particular incident is of such wider impact that it merits that much publicity!

The official FGW (First Great Western) JourneyCheck page provides real-time information updates on all major incidents, and is freely available to all.  My purpose in highlighting certain travel disruptions here is more to record them for future reference, on the relevant local topic - simply because the information on JourneyCheck is cleared soon after any particular incident is resolved.

However, I'm not ruling the idea out at all: what do others think?

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 05:36:13 »

If I recall correctly (though it is a long time ago now) in the early days for a short time we had a couple of posters who would post just about every cancellation shown on the FGW (First Great Western) site.  It didn't appear to add any value and thankfully the practice died out. Unless the disruption is notable and worth alerting people about (such as the two incidents yesterday at Bridgwater and Southall), I wouldn't want to see a return to it, which could happen with a board purely for disruptions.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 14:06:13 »

I'm inclined to leave it as it is - with significant disruptions posted within the most appropriate line board.  The little diagram at the top left of every page is supposed to show you where there are problems at the moment and the "_" to the right of "Current Running" takes you straight to Journey Check (perhaps I should update the text for that link?)

There is - always - scope for improvement, but sometimes an improvement in one direction is a disprovement in another.  I'm very much aware that our line by line / area by area division has cross-border issues (the bane of the life of those in local authorities who work with public transport), and there are a couple of minor adjustments I'm sure I would make in the splitting of services and journeys if I was setting the board up again. But that could mean major issues in accessing historic data / transferring it to the right place.

With a "disruptions board", I fear that we might end up with dilution - a lot of quiet boards (hope so - really don't want disruption!) with people having to look at multiple places to find out what was going on.  If an incident was disruptive, look under disruptions.  If it wasn't, look under the line.   Hmmm - not keen.   If our posting volume was an order of magnitude higher, maybe.

And a further option for readers - the recent posts button will find you what people are saying about disruptions as they're ongoing, no matter where they're posted. See
http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?action=recent

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 14:18:28 »

The little diagram at the top left of every page is supposed to show you where there are problems at the moment and the "_" to the right of "Current Running" takes you straight to Journey Check (perhaps I should update the text for that link?)

The link from the "_" to the right of current running is a new one on me.  The text is a bit too subtle for my brain.  I think an update to the text would be helpful to those who are similarly challenged.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 19:20:22 »

For my 2c I'm not sure of the benefit of having a disruptions area on th forum. But maybe I am misunderstanding what is being suggested. If the intention is to advise readers of the facts regarding disruptions (I e there are currently delays between x and y) rather options relating to this I would respectfully say that my primary source of information would be my smart phone app which hooks into the real time data. Ths may raise te comment "that not everyone has smartphones" this is obviously true but what mechanism would a reader use to access the forum ?

Rambling a bit (sorry,a lot) but just me 2c. This forum is a really good source of factual information, discussions do leave it as it is.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 10:53:07 »

The link from the "_" to the right of current running is a new one on me.  The text is a bit too subtle for my brain.  I think an update to the text would be helpful to those who are similarly challenged.

Yeah .. that was a secret test I did that remained rather too secret  Undecided

Fresh coat of paint applied to that top link line ...

"_" has moved to "Current Train Running"

"Current Running" which is now mostly road stuff has become "Road Report"

A redundant page has been removed

Station Comparator has been updated to add the station usage figures up to and including those released last month. I am aware I need to change some Train Operating Companies listed against certain stations!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 13:14:55 »

Yeah .. that was a secret test I did that remained rather too secret  Undecided
Fresh coat of paint applied to that top link line ...
"_" has moved to "Current Train Running"
"Current Running" which is now mostly road stuff has become "Road Report"

Thank you
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: