Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 09:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:03:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 394897 times)
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 14, 2016, 21:45:42 »

I thought wiring Wootton Basset-Bath-Bristol had been put back to CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024). Are you saying Filton bank wiring has been similarly designated?

No Filton bank is how Electric Trains will first reach Temple Meads
Because, with no wires or juice, they can coast down the bank.
How they LEAVE Temple Meads is another matter... Grin Grin
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 14, 2016, 23:31:01 »

Unless I've missed it, there is no grand plan for redevelopment at this time.

There is a grand plan to have a Grand Plan. It has not yet really started life, and is awaited with impatience.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 04, 2016, 19:23:22 »

Just been made aware of a Bristol Evening Post online article today, "New ticket machine trial at Bristol Temple Meads to end nightmare queues for commuters". Sadly the article in true online post style is both confusing and lacking detail. References to ticket machines and ticket barriers are freely interchanged without much explanation. Might have to look for myself.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 04, 2016, 20:05:26 »

Here is the article from the Bristol Post.

New ticket machine trial at Bristol Temple Meads to end nightmare queues for commuters
By L_Churchill  |  Posted: July 04, 2016

New trials at Bristol Temple Meads could see the end of nightmare queues for commuters.

Network Rail said it is testing additional ticket barriers at the station as part of its upgrade plan.

The company hopes that the new system will see less queues during busy periods at the railway station.

Staff will be on hand next week to direct passengers to the new gate locations, which will operate between 7.30am and 9.30am and 4.30pm to 6.30pm on weekdays from Monday, July 11 for two weeks.

Network rail said it will be monitoring the use of the new barriers to gauge their effectiveness.

Drop in sessions will be taking place on platform three of the station on Friday, July 8 from 7.30am until 9.30am.

Network Rail's scheme sponsor, Lisa Evans, said: "We are always looking at ways to improve the passenger experience at our stations. Bristol Temple Meads is a major transport hub in the South West and can get quite congested during peak travel times.

"We hope by undertaking these trials, we can get a better insight into the passenger flow and can test out other gate line locations within the station, to see where improvement can be made both in the short and long term."

It looks as though it's a new gate line barrier. I hope L_Churchill isn't their transport correspondent.

Now, please!
brizzlechris

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 04, 2016, 20:46:41 »

There's a bit more clarity on the Network Rail Temple Meads account on Twitter...

11th-15th July - Queen Anne Gate - platform 4 (am/pm peak hours)
18th-22nd July - Bonaparte's Gate - platform 3 (am/pm peak hours)

https://twitter.com/networkrailBRI/status/749883173572636672
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #245 on: July 05, 2016, 10:50:05 »

Here, in Network Rail's own words....

Trials of additional ticket barriers will take place at Bristol Temple Meads station in the coming weeks as part of Network Rail’s Railway Upgrade Plan, with the aim of easing passenger congestion during peak travel times.

Network Rail staff will be on hand to direct passengers to the new gate line locations, which will operate during the station’s busiest periods, 7.30-9.30am and 4.30-6.30pm, from Monday, July 11 to Friday, 15 July and Monday, 18 July to Friday, 22 July.

The usage and impact of these additional barriers will be monitored to gauge their effectiveness at easing passenger congestion and providing a smoother experience for station users.

Following the trials, further engagement activities are planned to assess passenger feedback before taking work forward.

To discuss the aim of these trials in further detail and to answer questions on future improvements for the station, Network Rail and GWR (Great Western Railway) staff will be present at two drop-in events, which will be held at platform 3 on Monday, 4 July and Friday, 8 July from 7.30am to 9.30am.

Network Rail’s scheme sponsor, Lisa Evans, said: “We are always looking at ways to improve the passenger experience at our stations. Bristol Temple Meads is a major transport hub in the South West and can get quite congested during peak travel times.

“We hope by undertaking these trials, we can get a better insight into the passenger flow and can test out other gate line locations within the station, to see where improvement can be made both in the short and long term”.
Stroud Valleys

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 05, 2016, 14:00:28 »

The Queen Anne Gate on platform 4 would be my favoured option.

Hopefully they can encourage the current ticket barrier to be mainly used for people coming into the station and from the ticket hall, and to direct people leaving the station to use the Queen Anne Gate on platform 4. Would certainly help passenger flows up the stairs i.e. leavers on the left and the others coming in from the right. You could then successfully remodel the space outside Temple Meads to an extent i.e. new bus stops, drop offs, taxis etc
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 05, 2016, 15:23:53 »

Hopefully they can encourage the current ticket barrier to be mainly used for people coming into the station and from the ticket hall, and to direct people leaving the station to use the Queen Anne Gate on platform 4. Would certainly help passenger flows up the stairs i.e. leavers on the left and the others coming in from the right. You could then successfully remodel the space outside Temple Meads to an extent i.e. new bus stops, drop offs, taxis etc

Part of the grand plan will be to move all the taxis and buses around the side of the station nearest to the ferry stage. Your plan will work with that, even if this is a stop-gap solution to an immediate problem.

Now, please!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 05, 2016, 19:43:22 »

I've often wondered that and then thought "no, it's so blindingly obvious that I must be missing a very good reason why it wouldn't work".  I can't see Bonaparte's gate working half so well as it doesn't provide the segregation of flows that you describe so well.

chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 05, 2016, 19:56:09 »

The opening of the Queen Anne gate for 'exiteers' whilst leaving the existing barriers for those entering the platforms, along with moving the buses and taxis to the underused road on the other side of the Brunel engine shed platforms seems like a win-win to me. Just as long as the side entrance can still be used by pedestrians from the Knights Templar.....One wonders how this stop gap solution fits with the overall grand plan for Temple Meads which seems to be all talk and no action.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 20:17:33 by chuffed » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 05, 2016, 22:53:16 »

I'm afraid "Queen Anne Gate" is too grand for me.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 05, 2016, 23:47:15 »

Brunel Gate for me.
Spaceship

View Profile Email
« Reply #252 on: July 06, 2016, 08:35:02 »

Something that always seems to create a bottleneck is the entrance/ exit into the old passenger shed if they got rid of the sliding doors the old entrance would width would be fine
initiation

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 08, 2016, 00:01:14 »

Something that always seems to create a bottleneck is the entrance/ exit into the old passenger shed if they got rid of the sliding doors the old entrance would width would be fine

Absolutely! Pass through this every morning. Especially bad when passing through with a bike or large luggage as this all but stops other traffic.

The area outside temple meads is chaos at the moment due to the building works going on, all foot and cycle traffic directed down a relatively narrow path directly outside loads of shops then either over a bridge one at a time or a bridge with a blind entrance.  Fantastic....
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 08, 2016, 07:44:07 »

Welcome to the Coffee Shop initiation
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: