Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:15 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:23:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 394914 times)
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #345 on: November 25, 2017, 13:18:32 »

Redouble the whole route from Narroways Junction to Holesmouth Junction and bring the Henbury Loop back into passenger use without further delays. Some hope.

(genuine question): If the Henbury loop was opened, would redoubling of the track on the Severn Beach line actually be needed? (obviously it might be desirable). Presumably a circular service could have enough passing places to run fairly frequently in both directions.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 25, 2017, 18:11:33 »

...there will be a shuttle bus service from the new Campus to Clifton

If only you could get to Clifton by train from Temple Meads!

But that would mean building a branch line from Clifton Down over 1/2 mile long.

Rather less than that distance from CFN (Clifton Down station) to the Library on Tyndalls Park Road, which is generally considered the 'centre' of the UoB (maybe you were thinking of the Wills Memorial?). That quibble aside, I expect it'll also run a little more frequently than the Severn Riviera Express, though given 20 years for the GRIP (Guide to Railway Investment Projects) process - and half a billion quid - it may be possible to redouble the branch up to Clifton Down and get a 15-minute service.

No 0.6 miles to the Library and 0.7 miles to the Wills Memorial.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 25, 2017, 18:50:22 »

A more frequent running on the whole of the route might be achieved by only redoubling 1 or 2 of the stations, Sea Mills for example. This would give more passing loops. Problem is that this would need more rolling stock and points/signalling costs too.

Bringing the junction between Redland and Clifton Down back to Montpelier by double tracking that section, and doing similar work to achieve double tracking from just past the bridge over the Trym to Avonmouth would double capacity without needing extra signalling.

(genuine question): If the Henbury loop was opened, would redoubling of the track on the Severn Beach line actually be needed? (obviously it might be desirable). Presumably a circular service could have enough passing places to run fairly frequently in both directions.

Hm, good question. The answer would depend on what level of service you wanted to achieve. Assume for a moment that MetroRail West manages to achieve half-hourly services from Severn Beach. From Avonmouth to Severn Beach takes 11 minutes, so that is achievable - just. The next train would need to arrive at Avonmouth just as the train from Severn Beach arrived. It takes 12 minutes for the Bristol-bound train to clear the single line section between there and Clifton Down, where it would need to pass the next outbound train. So as things stand, there would not be room enough for another train from Henbury fitting in with the 30-minute frequency. Nor do I think it would fit in with hourly from Severn Beach and half-hourly from Avonmouth as things stand. Passing places are fine, but leave little room for manoeuvre. I think the only way to make services resilient at anything more than the current frequency on the SVB line is to make those passing loops very long - Avonmouth to Sea Mills and Clifton Down to Montpelier - as I described above. That isn't far short of redoubling the line completely, but does avoid replacing the bridge at Sea Mills and doing work on Montpelier tunnel.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 19:05:22 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 26, 2017, 17:57:31 »

Was there a problem at Temple Meads this morning. A mate of mine texted me that he had to drive to Gloucester this morning as his train was about an hour late and that he, his wife, daughter and daughters boyfriend had arrived at station well in time to catch the first service to Gloucester to attend the christening of their first grandchild.

On arrival at station the CIS (Customer Information System) wasn't working so he sought help from the help point and was told there was a delay on the service and it hadn't left Bristol yet.

Looking at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) it would appear that services north were initially working TM(resolve) to North Somerset Junction then reversing round the rhubarb curve to Dr. Days junction.

In fact I did notice that one Cross Country service was cancelled between TM and New Street having to leave Barton Hill depot by the east, work to Lawrence Hill, reverse to North Somerset Junction then again reverse to Temple Meads. Presumably after loading the catering trolley and on board staff it then left TM via the reverse of the inbound movement to TM and ran ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) to New Street.

My mates reaction, he'll never plan to attend an important family function by rail again.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #349 on: November 26, 2017, 20:06:27 »

My mates reaction, he'll never plan to attend an important family function by rail again.

Sad.  We had problems today too ... "we decided to hop in a taxi" says a message from someone we had hoped was making her first of many journeys.   How will the railways cope with all these extra passengers encouraged to travel on their 26 - 30 railcards?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 26, 2017, 20:33:05 »

No 0.6 miles to the Library and 0.7 miles to the Wills Memorial.

My bad - I was measuring to Tyndalls Park Road - but the Library's on Tyndall Ave, which is, as you say, rather further.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 25, 2018, 17:44:14 »

Passenger capacity improvements from Dec 17 Network rail newsletter

Following the trials in July 2016, we have been working up the detail on the additional ticket barriers that will be introduced at Bristol Temple Meads in Autumn 2018.
In the spring we will start work on installing these at Queen Anne Gate (near the cycle racks) and at Bonapartes bar. The aim of the project is to ease congestion for passengers but also provides additional choices for exiting the station depending on your destination. More detail to follow in next Newsletter.

Cannot help thinking that the message 'more barriers than usual needing repair and maintenance at the same time' is already being prepared !
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:31:55 by chuffed » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 25, 2018, 19:23:16 »

Bristol City Council listed building consent application ref: 17/05690/LA - if you're interested! Approved on 21st December 2017.

Note that this application includes re-siting the bike racks from Platform 4 to a new location immediately outside the new gate - where they will, one assumes, be less secure and more exposed to wind and weather.

Edit: clarification
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 08:13:27 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 07, 2018, 11:26:56 »

Interesting to read about the new gates after the two trials which seem like an age ago now
Does anyone have any timescales for these works?

Of interest was talking at WSM station this morning, they are having gatelines (finally) put in, in October 2018
Haven't seen any plans for this - does anyone have a link to them?
(I assume they will be similar to what is at Hereford station??)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #354 on: March 07, 2018, 20:42:02 »

Edit Note:

Subsequent posts relating specifically to Weston super Mare Station have been split off into a separate topic.

See http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=10640.msg233004#msg233004

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 21:24:28 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 22, 2018, 10:42:55 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) local radio report that Network Rail have announced a refurbishment of Temple Meads roof. Haven't seen any written details about it yet but I guess the leaky bit on Platform 5 has it's days numbered (unless it's a Grade 1 listed leak). 😀
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 22, 2018, 10:50:18 »

Points west segment during BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Breakfast News this morning
Saying the sum of £40 million to be spent on repairs to the roof and re wiring of the station and also two new entrance and exits .
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 22, 2018, 12:26:13 »

And just how many times has this been announced, and nothing ever seems to happen?
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 22, 2018, 17:19:48 »

So they're finally getting round to doing some long-overdue maintenance! It is shocking that it has been allowed to get into such a state.

It would be better news to hear that they have found a way to fund ongoing maintenance so that we don't find ourselves in this position again in 30 years - but that's just not the way state-owned infrastructure's done, sadly.

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 18, 2018, 13:57:20 »

Evening Post has this on new entry gates for Temple Meads:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/two-new-entrances-being-built-1575030
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: