05/12/21 20:19 Swansea to London Paddington
05/12/21 20:42 London Paddington to Swansea
05/12/21 21:42 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
December 05, 2021, 04:57:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] Are the railways fit for their (future) purpose?
[85] Masks To Become Compulsory On Public Transport Again
[55] Through service - Bristol to London (Waterloo) via Trowbridge ...
[44] South Western Railways Waterloo - Bristol services axed
[30] Advent quiz - day 3 - unlabelled maps
[15] Overhead Electrification Plans
News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 309781 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: September 29, 2021, 09:29:45 am »

The devil is in the detail. My chums at Bristol Civic Society are a bit worried it might end up looking a bit like this:

Carbuncle Cup: Preston Railway Station Butler Street Entrance by AHR

The residents of Preston took to Twitter in droves to denounce Preston Railway Station’s new entrance

Preston’s grade II listed railway station was designed by Cooper and Tullis and completed in 1880.

In the 1980s an entrance building was added to the Butler Street side of the station. A pastiche of the station’s Victorian style, this was designed to blend into the background.

Operator Virgin Trains decided to replace this with a “contrasting structure to create a more modern and passenger friendly environment”. The residents of Preston clearly preferred the former entrance variously describing the new building as an “eyesore”, “hideous”, “a joke” and “planning gone mad”.

Nominator Steve Webberley described it as a “deadening cake tin slapped on its side”. He said: “This fractured geometric lean-to would seem out of date 10 years ago. It isn’t even that well-planned inside. The relationship with the window line of the brick station is laughable. We’ve come a long way from Brunel. A very long way…”

Source: Building Design

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

Still want to be a train driver when I grow up

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: September 29, 2021, 11:25:54 am »

If the new entrance does end up looking like the one at Preston Station then the best that I could say for it is that it's pretty much out of sight of the rest of Temple Meads and facing the more modern architecture being built around it. 
I can understand the concerns of the good people of Preston, their new station entrance does look pretty grim but it's also clumsily placed in front of very contrasting architecture, something that doesn't really apply so much at Temple Meads where it's a plain retaining wall. 
I do hope the East entrance building ends up looking more like the submitted plans rather than what Preston ended up with.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: September 29, 2021, 10:03:38 pm »

Passing through Temple Meads today, I remembered to take a quick look at Bonaparte's.  The picture below shows where things are at.
I also managed to take a quick shot from the platform of where the new east entrance is to be.  You can't see it in the picture but I spotted a JCB working around the future location of the entrance as my train came in from Redland.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 03, 2021, 04:29:36 pm »

Had a look at the Temple Meads subway today to see how things are progressing, from the inside. Not much to see yet!

The subway extension will be 9m wide, matching the existing, but the lift shaft (the grey wall to the left of the wooden hoarding) will protrude about 3m into this. The boarded over area behind the cones was the short-lived 'Food You Need' shop, which was presumably taken on a short lease!

Not far from the newly-moved Brunel statue, you can see evidence of how much care has been lavished on the grade I listed train shed in recent years:

To be fair to Network Rail, they only acquired the building from Bristol City Council a year ago. I understand that they have been surprised at how far the fabric of the building has been allowed to deteriorate.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 03, 2021, 04:38:17 pm »

One Sunday in 1985 I parked in the old trainshed to go on a Steam trip to Devon.
When I got back to the car I had to scrape the Pigeon poo off the windows before I could see to drive home.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 07, 2021, 04:21:58 pm »

Just managed to miss the service to Totnes at Temple Meads, so while I'm waiting for the next one I thought that I'd take a quick update picture of the gradually returning canopy on platform 15.  Apologies for the poor light.  Although it's hard to make out, the dagger boards are still the old ones and not the replacements.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55]
  Print  

Jump to: