Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 21:50:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[233] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[41] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[28] Cornish delays
[27] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[15] Where have I been?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 61
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 399788 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: April 13, 2022, 17:43:31 »

Meanwhile, nearby:

Plans for new secondary school and hundreds of new homes FINALLY gets permission

Parents have campaigned for this for years

A massive project to build a new secondary school, hundreds of new homes and businesses as part of the Temple Quarter regeneration project has finally been given Government approval. Housing minister Stuart Andrew has endorsed a planning inspector's decision to allow the plans for the Silverthorne Lane area of the city - which is located behind Temple Meads station, close to the Feeder canal.

It means a long-running campaign to get a secondary school built in this area - which parents and local politicians have called for for years - has been successful and work should be able to start soon. The delays to the new secondary school meant scores of young people were leaving primary school in the BS2 and BS5 areas of the city with other schools having to set up temporary classrooms to cope with the demand.

The planning permission is for a phased development to include offices, research and development units for the Temple Quarter university project, up to 367 new homes and a 1,600-pupil secondary school, along with listed building consent to refurbish some of the listed Victorian industrial buildings that line the Feeder.

...continues

Source: Bristol Live

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 13, 2022, 21:28:48 »

Meanwhile, nearby:

Plans for new secondary school and hundreds of new homes FINALLY gets permission

Parents have campaigned for this for years

A massive project to build a new secondary school, hundreds of new homes and businesses as part of the Temple Quarter regeneration project has finally been given Government approval. Housing minister Stuart Andrew has endorsed a planning inspector's decision to allow the plans for the Silverthorne Lane area of the city - which is located behind Temple Meads station, close to the Feeder canal.

It means a long-running campaign to get a secondary school built in this area - which parents and local politicians have called for for years - has been successful and work should be able to start soon. The delays to the new secondary school meant scores of young people were leaving primary school in the BS2 and BS5 areas of the city with other schools having to set up temporary classrooms to cope with the demand.

The planning permission is for a phased development to include offices, research and development units for the Temple Quarter university project, up to 367 new homes and a 1,600-pupil secondary school, along with listed building consent to refurbish some of the listed Victorian industrial buildings that line the Feeder.

...continues

Time will tell whether or not those flooding concerns expressed by the Environment Agency are real or not. It's good news, hopefully for children starting school this September without a secondary school for when they are ready, and a sign of how Bristol is growing.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 13:39:44 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 14, 2022, 18:56:14 »

I was at Temple Meads today and something stuck me (no, nothing that fell from the roof repairs).  Getting off the Beach Line service today, the scaffolding at the southern end looked different, in fact it looked like some of it had been removed at it was clear all the way up to the roof.  Wasn't the scaffolding running the entire length of the canopy recently?  I suppose I could be imagining things.  The roof certainly hasn't been refurbished there yet.  Here's a picture of what I mean.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: April 14, 2022, 19:36:57 »

I was at Temple Meads today and something stuck me (no, nothing that fell from the roof repairs).  Getting off the Beach Line service today, the scaffolding at the southern end looked different, in fact it looked like some of it had been removed at it was clear all the way up to the roof.  Wasn't the scaffolding running the entire length of the canopy recently?  I suppose I could be imagining things.  The roof certainly hasn't been refurbished there yet.  Here's a picture of what I mean.

A paragraph in the NR» (Network Rail - home page) words about the grit-blasting didn't get into the Bristol press version:
Due to the scale of the project, the restoration needs to be completed in stages. Over the coming months we will move our safety deck through the building, fully refurbishing the roof section by section. This summer we start work on the two gable ends from separate external scaffolding towers.

So it appears that the deck wasn't the full length of the roof.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: June 10, 2022, 14:24:47 »

BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) reports on levelling up funding being awarded to Temple Meads and surroundings.  Is this new money or just a re announcement?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-61756580
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: June 10, 2022, 16:09:51 »

I think it falls into the category 'long-awaited confirmation'... next: Portishead?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: June 10, 2022, 23:47:04 »

If only !...
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: June 14, 2022, 07:31:05 »

Marvin will be on Radio Bristol after 8am on tuesday 14 june to discuss the plans

BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) 93 million
Birmingham new street 750 million
Paddington 900 milion

Don't think the money(93 million) will pay for electrification to the out skirts of Bath AND BTM to Bristol Parkway.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: June 14, 2022, 08:33:28 »

Don't think the money(93 million) will pay for electrification to the out skirts of Bath AND BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) to Bristol Parkway.

No, it won’t. This money is purely for upgrading Temple Meads station buildings and the immediate area around them.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 09:01:45 by Red Squirrel » Logged

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: July 17, 2022, 18:22:42 »

There's a bit more in Bristol Live about the proposed redevelopment adjacent to Temple Meads along Avon Street for student accommodation, including a 12 floor block.  The site would be where the Chinese wholesalers are presently located.  Here's the link with the usual impression of "what it might look like".

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/local-news/chinese-food-wholesaler-behind-temple-7339583
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 31, 2022, 22:53:12 »

The site formerly intended to be the location for the Bristol Arenal, next to Temple Meads, has now received the go ahead for it's newly designated purposes.  Details from the Beeb on the link below -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-62737138.amp

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 01, 2022, 11:32:08 »

Three new entrances and a new bridge to Temple Meads station planned

It's likely a new development company will be set up to get the job done

Bristol Temple Meads train station (Image: Copyright Unknown)

Three new entrances to Temple Meads Station, a bridge across the river, a bus interchange, car park and bus lanes on a nearby main road are all listed as part of the major regeneration of Bristol’s main train station. Those behind the project, which the Government handed over almost £100 million for earlier this year, say it will trigger the huge Temple Quarter regeneration scheme, which will see 2,476 new homes and more offices built on the land around station.

And for the first time, Bristol City Council has indicated that it is ‘likely’ that those involved in the complex project are ‘likely’ to have to set up a separate company to manage and deliver the project as it runs over the next decade or so. The latest updates and decisions on the Temple Quarter regeneration project go before the city council’s ruling Labour cabinet on Monday, for the first time in around 18 months, and the first time since Homes England finally agreed to pump £95.8 million into the project - which was announced with some fanfare earlier this year.

That money is going to a massive overhaul of Temple Meads station, that will completely change the way people access and use it. Three entrances will be created or enhanced, the most significant will be a new ‘southern gateway’, accessed from the Bath Road where Kwik Fit is now.

The new entrances and the southern gateway have been revealed before - by Bristol Live in September last year. But for the first time the full extent of the transformation of Temple Meads is beginning to emerge.

A new ‘eastern gateway’ will be created, through the wall at the end of the current underpass beneath the lines and platforms, that will give access to the the land where the old Cattle Market and sorting office sites were - these have been demolished now and are awaiting the University of Bristol to begin work on their new campus project.

The Kwik Fit site, which lies between the Bath Road Bridge roundabout and the railway lines to the east of Bath Road, will become a multi-storey car park off the main road and be the only private vehicle access point for the station. From there people will cross to the new southern entrance to the station. The ‘southern gateway’ also includes the Bath Road Bridge roundabout and a section of Bath Road as it crosses the railway lines too.

That will mean private vehicles will be barred from the historic existing Temple Meads incline, which is currently used by buses, private cars and taxis. Buses will also be redirected away to a new bus interchange created at the new ‘northern gateway’ to the site on The Friary.

The project also includes new bus lanes down Redcliffe Way to give priority to buses travelling from the station towards the city centre.

A plan of the Temple Meads 'gateways' project (Image: Bristol City Council)

...continues

DaveHarries

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 01, 2022, 17:45:42 »

My employer has the yard immediately left of the Kwik Fit: we have been told that our lease on the site will run out in March / April 2023 and of the two potential replacement sites looked at so far one has been retained by its current occupant (who had originally planned to move out) and the other needed too much work done to it so heaven knows where we will end up.

Dave
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 01, 2022, 22:46:58 »

My employer has the yard immediately left of the Kwik Fit: we have been told that our lease on the site will run out in March / April 2023 and of the two potential replacement sites looked at so far one has been retained by its current occupant (who had originally planned to move out) and the other needed too much work done to it so heaven knows where we will end up.

Dave

A lot of light industrial businesses around Temple Meads and Bedminster are currently being forced to relocate to allow redevelopment, mostly to flats. Most seem to be heading to Avonmouth, and many are not happy about it...

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 02, 2022, 13:48:33 »

Is this affecting the offices/spaces in Engine Shed, does anyone know?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 61
  Print  

Jump to: