Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Cardiff Central to Bristol Temple Meads
13:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:12 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
18:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:14 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
15:48 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
16:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 07:27:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[59] IETs at Melksham
[53] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[49] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[46] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[34] Signage - not making it easy ...
[20] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 61
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 398272 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 11, 2015, 19:59:21 »

Because it's going to have an Arenal on it. D'uh!

Thanks for the clarification, but on that basis they may as well call it 'Arena Mountain'.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 12, 2015, 15:50:20 »

Ah, it's the "Island" that is the mystery! I agree that t is geographically difficult to sustain - Temple Meads is a de facto island, being surrounded on all sides by water within a mile. Spike Island isn't really much of an island, being the opposite end of the land mass that includes Temple Meads, unless the latter is insular. Arena Island is more of a promontory, or something, and even that is on a man-made channel. I think it is a matter of poetic licence*, given the major approach being by a bridge, and with the A4 forming something of a barrier. If that's the reason, I can live with it.

(*Mine's in the post)

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 12, 2015, 16:08:02 »

Isn't Temple Meads area and St Philips Marsh actually an archipelago? There's a spit of land between the Feeder Canal and New Cut at Totterdown Basin.

Okay, there was once a lock between the Basin and New Cut I believe, but long since filled in.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 13, 2015, 15:54:05 »

I thought an archipelago was something cricketers went to sea on, only a more important version.

There was indeed a lock into the new cut at Cattle Market Road, and another at Bathurst Basin, which is much more evident. Both were blocked up during the second World War in case the Luftwaffe got lucky. A direct hit on the gates at low tide would have been disastrous for the harbour and the ships using it. It would have been nearly as bad at high tide. The blocking up was made permanent in the early 1950s.

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 13, 2015, 16:47:29 »

I thought an archipelago was something cricketers went to sea on, only a more important version.

I of course got my geographical term wrong. I meant a peninsula.

These were invented by Sir Alexander Fleming I believe.

The bit of land where the lock used to be is an isthmus.

Which is, according to my two year old nephew, a gift giving occasion in December. One of his current questions is "Can have it for Isthmus?"

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 13, 2015, 19:39:30 »

I of course got my geographical term wrong. I meant a peninsula.

These were invented by Sir Alexander Fleming I believe.

That's right. He did it in his spare time whilst writing the James Bond books.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 13, 2015, 21:22:49 »

Well thank goodness we got that sorted out. Easter Island it is then, and look! There's Ursula Andress, emerging from the foam.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 14, 2015, 07:33:21 »

Well thank goodness we got that sorted out. Easter Island it is then, and look! There's Ursula Andress, emerging from the foam.

I'm just looking !.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 15, 2015, 11:56:46 »

You're thinking of a pea-green souper wrapped up in a five-pound note. Only, for cricketers it would have to be either a four or a six.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 15, 2015, 17:56:01 »

I'm just looking !.

I'll risk one eye.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #220 on: October 02, 2015, 11:01:35 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Businesses seek cash for Bristol Temple Meads station overhaul

Bristol Temple Meads is "out of date" and "inadequate", according to business leaders

Business leaders in the West are making a pitch for more government money to revamp Bristol's Temple Meads station.

They say it needs a ^295m revamp - but only ^80m has been earmarked by Network Rail, which is not yet guaranteed.

While Birmingham's New Street has had a ^750m facelift, Temple Meads is "out of date" and "inadequate", they say.

The government has not committed to extra funding but says it is working with Bristol on its enterprise zone and metro rail project.

The West of England Local Enterprise Partnership and Bristol City Council say Brunel's iconic Temple Meads is one of the last city centre mainline railway stations not to meet 21st Century standards.

They argue the region generates more money for the Treasury than anywhere else in England - outside London - yet while rail electrification brings faster journeys, the station itself will be out of date.

The West of England Local Enterprise Partnership said: "Temple Meads is in desperate need of major redevelopment, with an extremely congested entrance and exit ramp, overcrowded passenger tunnel, insufficient car parking and lack of key facilities such as shops, bars and toilets.

"To transform the station will cost in the region of ^295m, and whilst Network Rail has so far committed ^80m for redevelopment as part of the electrification of the Great Western Mainline, this has not been fully confirmed."

The government said it was "committed to firing up local communities and backing businesses so they create thousands of jobs and greater prosperity".

"This includes a successful Enterprise Zone set around the station in Bristol, enabling the Local Enterprise Partnership and City Council to invest business rates in infrastructure and growth," a spokesman said.

"We are also working closely with the West of England Local Economic Partnership to help enable their plans for the Bristol Metro."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 04, 2016, 18:09:47 »

Less Canary Wharf, more Kings Cross

Derelict buildings and land around Temple Meads will be transformed into homes, offices and new squares under plans to create the "Kings Cross of Bristol".

The council has released new images as they launch their 25-year plan to change the area in what is considered to be the biggest regeneration project in the UK (United Kingdom).

A consultation is now underway for a ^spatial framework^ - outlined in the new pictures and video fly-through - to follow when deciding on future planning permission for the area which stretches from Temple Gate to the Paintworks.

See full article in Bristol 24/7

There's also a YouTube vid

Delighted to see that they appear to intend to restore the spire at Temple Meads - I know some philistines are resistant to this, but - well, they're just wrong.

Let's just hope that the dull apparatchiks of the dull old political parties don't manage to blow the whole thing out of the water in a dull attempt to make He of the Undull Trousers look bad - as though that was the same as making them look good.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 04, 2016, 18:40:23 »

Devil's advocate...

What purpose will the spire serve other than aesthetic?

Money well spent?

No problem with all the other aspirations.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 04, 2016, 20:28:20 »

Devil's advocate...

None at all.

Money well spent?

IMHO (in my humble opinion), yes indeed. What is wrong with aesthetic? In any case, as a Grade 1 listed building, there is probably no option but to restore the tower. The woodenspire was removed rather suddenly on 3 January 1941, so would not be part of the listing.

Which leads me to the most important reason for the plan to restore it: the idea can be dropped to save money. No-one will complain because not many people will have ever seen it, and something else will not have to be binned. They should have gone for a couple of gold unicorns and a Damien Hirst skull too - make value engineering easy, I say!

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 05, 2016, 09:46:09 »

Devil's advocate...

Money well spent?

No problem with all the other aspirations.

My dad often used the phrase 'neither use nor ornament' (often, as I remember it, referring to me...). The spire, as it was, was probably of no use; like the surviving tower it was pure ornament.

From an engineer's viewpoint it's nice to think that something can be both useful and ornamental, but for the rest of us 50% is still a passmark. Or maybe they could hide a mobile phone mast in there?

As to the cost: How much does some 4x2 and a couple of pallets of chinese slates cost?

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 61
  Print  

Jump to: