Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 07:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:38 Exeter St Davids to Okehampton
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
07:54 Looe to Liskeard
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:12 Frome to London Paddington
06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:13 Liskeard to Looe
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 07:57:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 394889 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 08, 2016, 08:03:35 »

The area outside temple meads is chaos at the moment due to the building works going on, all foot and cycle traffic directed down a relatively narrow path directly outside loads of shops then either over a bridge one at a time or a bridge with a blind entrance.  Fantastic....

Welcome indeed, initiation!

Many of the non-Bristol members who visit Temple Meads infrequently may be puzzled by the reference to shops. Tell them that it is on the well-worn route to the Knights Templar, however, and known exactly where you mean! The chaos is down to the enabling works for the plots of land intended for the next stages of the Enterprise Zone, and I assume involves the installation of the usual civils. I was sad to see the loss of the "Yurt Lush" eatery before I had gotten around to sampling it.

Perhaps you could keep us posted about future changes around the area?

Now, please!
initiation

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 08, 2016, 09:12:52 »

I was sad to see the loss of the "Yurt Lush" eatery before I had gotten around to sampling it.

It is still there just in a different location. Turn left on exiting and head down towards the front of the old engine shed, it's taken over a portion of the car park.

Edit note: Quote marks fixed, for clarity. And welcome to the Coffee Shop forum, initiation.  Wink
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 15:11:25 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 08, 2016, 10:34:55 »

I was sad to see the loss of the "Yurt Lush" eatery before I had gotten around to sampling it.

It is still there just in a different location. Turn left on exiting and head down towards the front of the old engine shed, it's taken over a portion of the car park.

Thanks!  Grin

Edit note: Quote marks fixed, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 15:12:55 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Spaceship

View Profile Email
« Reply #258 on: July 08, 2016, 13:04:21 »

Since this was posted on the board I have taken a look at temple meads station when tramping back and forth through there daily The design of the station looks like it can handle many more people than it appears. Those two gates left and right of the main central one aren't used and are gated? It seems obvious to open them up as thats what they are designed for? The left one is really wide and would be great as it bypasses the ticket hall. Great if you have tickets already. Be interested on Monday to see if this temporary entrance thing is done or not?

Also I think they need to alter the up and down on all of the platforms as it can be a bit crowded trying to get down some of the stairs using the correct side. Some people don't bother all the time when it is busy at peak hours and you can get to all the platforms anyway. Maybe make the south side stairs the up and the north side stairs the down, that way the south side are good if you are hurrying down to a platform such as number 8. The stairs are located nearer the odd numbers anyway.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 08, 2016, 22:30:20 »

Sadly the Yurt's new location is not a patch on the old patch (pun alert).
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 09, 2016, 10:11:30 »

Thanks initiation, I saw it! I must now return with cash and an appetite / thirst.

Now, please!
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 03, 2016, 19:14:53 »

Since this was posted on the board I have taken a look at temple meads station when tramping back and forth through there daily The design of the station looks like it can handle many more people than it appears. Those two gates left and right of the main central one aren't used and are gated? It seems obvious to open them up as thats what they are designed for? The left one is really wide and would be great as it bypasses the ticket hall. Great if you have tickets already. Be interested on Monday to see if this temporary entrance thing is done or not?

Also I think they need to alter the up and down on all of the platforms as it can be a bit crowded trying to get down some of the stairs using the correct side. Some people don't bother all the time when it is busy at peak hours and you can get to all the platforms anyway. Maybe make the south side stairs the up and the north side stairs the down, that way the south side are good if you are hurrying down to a platform such as number 8. The stairs are located nearer the odd numbers anyway.

I asked some questions about the gate trial this week and was told that the wide gate by Bonapartes was a definite success while the narrower one by the Airport Flyer bus stop was less successsful because people are just not used to turning left out the subway unless they have a bike to find !
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 03, 2016, 20:14:20 »

Surely that could be a point in its favour – utilising the whole stairs rather than half.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 03, 2016, 21:40:50 »

I'd agree.  Anything that splits the traffic on the stairs has to be encouraged.  It won't take long for passengers to get used to the new arrangement, whichever way it is.
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #264 on: September 03, 2016, 22:12:36 »

Anything to add another 4+ gates to allow people to flow in|out and reduce blockages at the current set of gates
initiation

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 10, 2016, 22:27:20 »

Anything to add another 4+ gates to allow people to flow in|out and reduce blockages at the current set of gates

Yes there are a number of pinch points

1. Stairs down from platform particularly if a High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train)) calls at platform 8/10 (or even with just a 3-4 car 150/158) which puts the majority of traffic through one staircase.
2. Not enough gates
3. The 'wide' ticket barrier for bikes/luggage is the first on you reach, fine in light traffic but with loads of people they all stop at the first barrier blocking it up for bikes/luggage while the other ones only yards away are fairly free flowing! Regularly see queus of bikes waiting to get out.
4. You're finally through the barriers only to hit a wall of tourists with luggage staring at the departure screens (particularly at weekends).
5. Exiting into the old engine shed, the sliding door blocks half the exit so only 2 people side by side or one bike can fit  through at a time.

Hopefully the trial run will be taken up, either option seemed to take off some traffic and that can only be a good thing.

Hopefully the ongoing 'enabling' works on the quayside will soon be over. The path has been getting progressively narrower and narrower leading to pedestrian & cycle chaos.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 23:55:54 by VickiS » Logged
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 01, 2016, 18:37:08 »

So, the Bristol Evening Post, (which as we all know is printed in Didcot) has led us all up the garden path again, today, by promising all the news on exactly what would be happening in the Temple Quarter redevelopment. Then about 2pm it disappeared from the website !
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #267 on: December 01, 2016, 23:27:40 »

Hmm.  Roll Eyes

The Bristol Post, as it's now called, is still published in Temple Way, Bristol - according to their website: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/contact.html  Huh

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 01, 2016, 23:49:27 »

Chris it is published in Bristol but it is Printed in Oxfordshire and then put in lorrys and driven to Bristol  Roll Eyes
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2016, 23:57:14 »

I know Wink  - but their website suggests otherwise.  Postcode BS2 0BY is no longer the Bristol Post.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: