05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 07:47:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 61
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 398394 times)
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: May 06, 2017, 23:21:33 »

John R, I accede! I shall henceforth use the Civil Service standard approach to abbrevs.

I shall also explain my travel strategy. My train out is any BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) (Temple Meads) - CNM» (Cheltenham Spa - next trains) (Cheltenham) from 0830 onwards. My train from CNM - BHM (Birmingham New Street) is from Cardiff via Gloucester, hence the need to change. I could start with the 0900, but choose the 0830, giving me a margin for error and time for breakfast at the coffee shop next to Tesco Metro opposite the station in 'Nam. The fare from Brum to BPN (Blackpool North)  is usually cheapest on the 1115, getting me to my mum's, a 25 minute tram ride from North Pier around 1400. Doing it this way, and playing my Senior Git Card, brings me in at a price of around twenty to twenty five quid each way, as opposed to £177.00 for the "rock up and go" fare. I learned all this through the GWR (Great Western Railway) Coffee Shop. Special mention goes to bignosemac, one of the masters of split ticketing.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 13:29:49 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
simonw

View Profile Email
« Reply #301 on: May 20, 2017, 13:42:50 »

Since the minor refit of gates from the public are of Temple Meads to Platform 3, I have noticed that the  gates are frequently open (0700-0730 and 1600:1630) when I use the station, and frequently not manned.

Are they working? and is revenue protection not important at these times.

Also, the orientation of the standard gates with the large gate is odd. The vast majority of traffic is to-from the stairs to the underpass. The gates appear to focus on traffic for platforms 1/3 only.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 26, 2017, 16:28:09 »

Just spotted this:

Getting Bristol Temple Meads ready for new Intercity Express trains

In autumn 2017 new Intercity Express trains will start being cascaded into use, and Network Rail is now working to ensure that the new trains can access station platforms.

At Bristol Temple Meads this summer, Platforms 13 and 15 will be extended in preparation for the new class 800 Hitachi trains. These trains are longer than the existing High Speed trains and – at up to 260m in length – will require additional platform length to allow all passengers to disembark.

Network Rail are currently working on access arrangements, as well as ensuring this project fits alongside other work taking place at Temple Meads, such as signalling renewals and the installation of new lighting.

Listed building consent has been granted by Historic England.

To extend the platforms, the existing ramp must first be demolished. This demolition will be carried out overnight, between 11.00pm and 5.00am, to minimise disruption to passengers:

Monday 26 June to Friday 30 June
Monday 3 July to Friday 7 July
Platform extension works will also take place overnight, over a three week period. These will be between the hours of 10.00pm and 5.00am on weekends and 11.00pm and 5.00am on week day nights:

Sat 29 July to Mon 31 July
Mon 31 July to Fri 4 August
Sat 5 August to Mon 7 August
Mon 7 August to Fri 11 August
Sat 12 August to Mon 14 August
Mon 14 August to Fri 18 August
Sat 19 August to Mon 21 August
Network Rail is writing to local neighbours and businesses to let them know about these works and is also working closely with GWR (Great Western Railway) to ensure there is minimal disruption to passengers.

While trains won’t be running from platforms 13 and 15 on the four Sundays between 30 July and 20 August, Network Rail is working with GWR to understand how trains can be re-platformed. Passengers are advised to check the departures boards at the station for updated platform information on arrival at Bristol Temple Meads.

For more information, or to discuss any concerns during these works, please contact the 24 hour helpline on 03457 11 41 41.

Source: Bristol Temple Quarter website

Plansa are available on the Bristol City Council planning portal; search for ref: 16/06244/LA

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 26, 2017, 18:16:37 »

Yet no mention of any work to start on the old station reinstatement (from platform 1). Do I take it that this is postponed until/if electrification reaches Temple Meads?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 26, 2017, 19:38:01 »

Bristol panel box is still in the way any no plans AIUI (as I understand it) to recontrol the bit south of Bristol to allow it to close.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 26, 2017, 20:35:04 »

Bristol panel box is still in the way any no plans AIUI (as I understand it) to recontrol the bit south of Bristol to allow it to close.
There are some rumours circulating that control of the remaining parts of Bristol Panel will be transferred to Exeter Panel.  Watch this space (but don't hold your breath in the process Wink ).
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 26, 2017, 21:20:19 »

Thanks for those replies. I suppose I should not be surprised that the headline grabbing PR (Public Relations) about reinstating the Digby Wyatt shed appears to be fast receding to the horizon but it is still quite disappointing as it seemed a good idea and real enhancement to Temple Meads.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 26, 2017, 22:49:32 »

There is no reason why it shouldn't happen, even without the wires in place. The trains will still be going to Paddington via Parkway. Departure from that side of the station seems sensible.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 27, 2017, 10:03:44 »

The island containing Platform 13/15 is short compared with the others at Temple Meads; extending it looks like a good way to improve flexibility. But it's a long walk to the London trains from main entrance, so here's hoping that the plans to reopen the Midland Shed do eventually come about.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 27, 2017, 22:19:34 »

Extending existing platforms suggests two issues to me. Firstly, it comes at a cost. Secondly, if it is a stop gap plan to accommodate the new longer trains, is it not added expense to getting it right first time by sorting out the Digby Wyatt shed for the new stock a tad earlier?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 27, 2017, 22:22:06 »

Not really.  There will be four trains to/from London in future. Two via Bath which will continue to use 13/15 as per today, and two via Parkway, for which it was intended to use the re-opened Digby Wyatt shed.  So the work on 13/15 would be needed come what may. 
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 27, 2017, 22:46:24 »

Yes, good reasoning JohnR. I just am disappointed about the continued procrastination about getting Temple Meads up to the standards of other important UK (United Kingdom) cities.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 28, 2017, 08:59:26 »

Extending existing platforms suggests two issues to me. Firstly, it comes at a cost. Secondly, if it is a stop gap plan to accommodate the new longer trains, is it not added expense to getting it right first time by sorting out the Digby Wyatt shed for the new stock a tad earlier?

Still can't get in to the Digby Wyatt shed until they shift the signal box out of the way!
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 28, 2017, 10:06:10 »

I am surprised that this project does not include the removal of the stop block on platform 13 as it is only a few metres short of the running line from platform 15. This would provide another through line and possibly 2 more platforms (14 and 16) following the rest of TM(resolve)'s through platform numbering scheme.

I have been on an inbound service continuing to Taunton which has had to be held at Kingsland Road 'waiting for platform' when 13 was empty. Mind you there was some service disruption but when we eventually got into TM I noted Pl 3 - Cross Country terminator, Pl 5 - late running Cross Country SW to Glasgow, Pl 7 - Cardiff to Portsmouth Harbour (or vice versa), Pl 10 - SWT (South West Trains) 159 awaiting departure to Waterloo, Pl 13 - empty (dead end platform), Pl 15 - FGW (First Great Western) awaiting next London service. The service I was on went into Pl (11) / 12 after which it had been vacated by an on time Weymouth to Worcester service.

Removal of the Pl 13 stop block and the laying of a turnout connecting the line from Pl 13 to that from Pl 15 coupled with the planned extensions to Pl 13 and 15 would allow these two platforms to become 13/14 and 15/16 and thus looking to the future WHEN (if ever) the Portishead line is re-opened you could have cross/same platform interchange with services from/to that location with London services as the majority of London - Bristol services will be 5 car 80X units anyway although the planning documents do state the extensions are necessary for the new IEP (Intercity Express Program / Project.) 9/10 car trains. 

John R

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 28, 2017, 11:01:57 »

Bear in mind that much of the day 13 and 15 are fully utilised with London terminators. The advantage you are suggesting would be gained would only be useable for around 20 mins in any hour when 15 is occupied and 13 is free.

In respect of roueting Portishead workings into those platforms this would involve many more conflicting movements and reduce capacity, particularly if the services are linked with the Avonmouth line which would then involve crossing all lines through Bristol East Jn to get back into the right side for the branch. At a busy station like Temple Meads it's impossible to provide convenient cross platform opportunities for all passenger flows, and whose to say that Portishead to Bath and beyond will be a more significant flow than say to Filton Abbey Wood. (London and Reading passengers are just as likely to use the new fast services via Parkway anyway.)
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 61
  Print  

Jump to: