Opening of Sapperton Canal Tunnel

Train RunningDelayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 00:07:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 61
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 398970 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: December 20, 2018, 11:17:07 »

Mine is so small I can carry it around in my tollbag...

...you wind it up and it always 'dies' at the most inconvenient moment.
 Angry Angry Angry Angry

Is it just me?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 20, 2018, 11:53:03 »

No its not !!...
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 20, 2018, 12:03:12 »

Re “junction lighting” mentioned above - it is permanent low level lighting in the vicinity of S&C (Settle and Carlisle ) units to allow regular maintenance overnight without having to worry about taking portable lighting to the site.

Mine is so small I can carry it around in my tollbag, its called 'A TORCH'.

Of course, everyone knows the dictionary definition of a torch..........

"a metal or plastic container used for the storage of flat batteries"

But mine is one of these new fangled ones that don't need batteries, you wind it up and it always 'dies' at the most inconvenient moment.
 Angry Angry Angry Angry

Bit like the clockwork radio.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 20, 2018, 12:43:38 »

Mine is so small I can carry it around in my tollbag...

...you wind it up and it always 'dies' at the most inconvenient moment.
 Angry Angry Angry Angry

Is it just me?

Definitely not!  Grin Grin

Now, please!
Spaceship

View Profile Email
« Reply #424 on: December 21, 2018, 11:25:48 »

A couple of years ago I remember we had a week when they opened up the other gates and I assuming they counted people numbers going through. Have used both the new gates this week and its excellent if you have to go out  / in with the bike, has speeded up getting through the station much quicker for me. Especially when you have to get a train on return. Have heard that only open during peak hours though, which is understandable as they still need to man them as away from the main entrance barriers. Should stop people crowding along platform 3 which I felt was quite risky what with moving trains and slippery floors.

A lot of extra cycle stands outside - I would have put them inside if they could fit them in, for bike security. No-one using the outside ones this morning, when I came through.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 21, 2018, 11:44:06 »

... A lot of extra cycle stands outside - I would have put them inside if they could fit them in, for bike security. No-one using the outside ones this morning, when I came through.

I think there were 69 stands each capable of securing 2 bicycles under cover in the old arrangement; under the new regime there look to be about 60 stands (there may be a few more tucked around the corner by the old Motorail entrance to Platform 2), in a less secure area, with a few under partial cover .

One gets the impression that the needs of cyclists were not a primary concern when this scheme was developed.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 21, 2018, 19:52:48 »

I think I read there are to be some new ones inside too, but I'm not sure exactly where. As for security, the outside stands are right in front of the Transport Police station. Nevertheless, I don't think I'd like to leave a bike there overnight.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 24, 2018, 13:35:50 »

Oddly both new exit points were not in use this morning
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 24, 2018, 14:11:42 »

Maybe it was felt that the rush hour this morning would be light enough not to need it?
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 28, 2018, 15:48:41 »

15:46 To Bath spa is delayed by about 14 minutes, this train may be delayed after Bristol temple meads due to a fault with the signalling system at Bath spa. We are sorry to announce that this train has no toilet facilities.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 28, 2018, 20:40:57 »

15:46 To Bath spa is delayed by about 14 minutes, this train may be delayed after Bristol temple meads due to a fault with the signalling system at Bath spa. We are sorry to announce that this train has no toilet facilities.

And this has what to do with Bristol TM(resolve) redevelopment?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 28, 2018, 22:49:43 »

And this has what to do with Bristol TM(resolve) redevelopment?

Put here as thought was not right on the Cotswold thread, and as the train passed through temple meads, thought ok.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 04, 2019, 11:19:31 »

Something I noticed this morning which I thought odd
If St Anne's Gate is to be solely used as an exit, why are there two TV monitors showing departures times and a PA (Public Address) system announcing departures?

Seems a wasted expense
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 05, 2019, 11:31:54 »

If St Anne's Gate is to be solely used as an exit, why are there two TV monitors showing departures times and a PA (Public Address) system announcing departures?

Seems a wasted expense

To me, sounds like it was put in, to be two way, and the station staff should be using it as two way.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 13:34:15 by Dispatch Box » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 05, 2019, 13:04:25 »

Seems a wasted expense

Looking at the planning history of these gates, you might get the impression that things were not managed quite as competently as you might hope - a second application (18/06452/LA) was required because:

During the works to install two new gatelines it was found that the existing conduit within the Main Shed did not have the capacity to hold the caballing(sic) required for the gatelines.

...just the kind of thing you'd think they'd check, particularly given that it's a listed building and they can't change a toilet roll without consent.

However both applications show Queen Anne Gate as an entrance as well as an exit - so it looks like the change of usage was a last-minute thing.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 61
  Print  

Jump to: