I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:35 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:47:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 394959 times)
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: January 05, 2019, 13:36:06 »

But at least there is provision that it could be used as both and entrance and an exit, even if in general practice it's exit only.  So, if there is a problem with the concourse or Bonapartes, the station still has potential access and egress.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Dispatch Box

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 05, 2019, 13:39:52 »

But at least there is provision that it could be used as both and entrance and an exit, even if in general practice it's exit only.  So, if there is a problem with the concourse or Bonapartes, the station still has potential access and egress.

So really, For extra capacity or if the the others break down, They at least have that one.
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 05, 2019, 14:01:34 »

Pretty much.  Imagine the concourse having to close for some reason, you'd either push people arriving at the front through the car park and round to Bonapartes, or open up St Anne's as an entrance.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 15, 2019, 16:10:54 »

In the absence of anything else much happening at Auld Leakie (aka Temple Meads), I am thrilled to hear that the Pumpkin (Platform 10/12) is to be refurbished and re-branded as a 'Coffee Room'. Full details at https://www.bristol.gov.uk/planning-and-building-regulations/look-at-and-track-planning-applications, search for 19/01075/LA.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 15, 2019, 16:21:43 »

How is the PO building demolition going?  Haven't been that way recently to be able to have a look.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 15, 2019, 16:30:09 »

How is the PO building demolition going?  Haven't been that way recently to be able to have a look.

It is very much happening!

Meanwhile, Bristol City Council have applied (to themselves, of course) for planning permission to install a new 4m wide shared cycle path and pedestrian walkway running for about 450m south-eastwards from the ferry landing stage towards Not Arena Island. Plans are at https://www.bristol.gov.uk/planning-and-building-regulations/look-at-and-track-planning-applications ref 19/01051/LA.

The walkway will consist of pontoons floating in the Floating Harbour, and will pass under the northern end of Temple Meads Station.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 15, 2019, 18:50:30 »

Yes, a lot of the old building is now rubble and vanishing fast. It'll be too dark to see it tonight when I pass through the station but last Monday if looked about half gone.
On thing I wondered about though. They could dispose of the rubble by road, river or rail from where they are. I wonder what they chose?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 15, 2019, 19:44:23 »

Yes, a lot of the old building is now rubble and vanishing fast. It'll be too dark to see it tonight when I pass through the station but last Monday if looked about half gone.
On thing I wondered about though. They could dispose of the rubble by road, river or rail from where they are. I wonder what they chose?

These days they usually crush it up and leave it on site for the new developers to use.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 17, 2019, 14:44:54 »

Not a great photo, but my train was in the way! Here's how it looked on 16th March; you can see that not much remains.

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 17, 2019, 15:42:02 »

Thanks for posting that RS.  Looks as though it might be all gone by the next time I'm likely to pass by at the begining of May.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 17, 2019, 16:40:34 »

These days they usually crush it up and leave it on site for the new developers to use.

They did that with the former police HQ (Headquarters) at New Bridewell. The rebar was taken away, the concrete crushed down.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 17, 2019, 18:05:16 »

Here's a better angle, taken today from Platform 1 - you can see that most of the central 'hall' of the old sorting office has gone, but one side of this and a wing remain.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 17, 2019, 18:25:41 »

You would think the antenna would have come in handy at the new place.

Now, please!
Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 18, 2019, 10:22:39 »

It is very much happening!

Meanwhile, Bristol City Council have applied (to themselves, of course) for planning permission to install a new 4m wide shared cycle path and pedestrian walkway running for about 450m south-eastwards from the ferry landing stage towards Not Arena Island. Plans are at https://www.bristol.gov.uk/planning-and-building-regulations/look-at-and-track-planning-applications ref 19/01051/LA.

The walkway will consist of pontoons floating in the Floating Harbour, and will pass under the northern end of Temple Meads Station.

I work for a company which has offices in a Belgian city called Mechelen which has a very nice example, which is very pretty indeed when lit up at night - http://www.eltis.org/discover/case-studies/pedestrians-walk-water-mechelen-belgium. It acts as a kind of express walking route and is quite nice as its cycle free, so you don't have to keep looking out for cyclists!

It's not without it's issues though, it ices up badly in the winter, the local kids like to hang out on it under the bridges and smoke, and I'd be a bit nervous about walking on it at night as it's a bit quiet and I you could be a bit vulnerable to being trapped in a way that you wouldn't on the street.

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 18, 2019, 11:02:25 »

Yes, it's the equivalent of the urban underpass and all the associated antisocial activities.
Likewise the bridge under Temple Meads at the northern end would not be my cup of tea at night either.
Are there architectural solutions? For example, but not really workable in this case, spaces under some of the bridges in London over the Thames are big enough to have cafes/restaurants next to the walkway. These stay open into the night making for a busier environment.
I'm no architect but I wonder if anyone could come up with workable solutions to the issue?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: