Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:29:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 394905 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: March 18, 2019, 11:12:33 »

Yes, it's the equivalent of the urban underpass and all the associated antisocial activities.
Likewise the bridge under Temple Meads at the northern end would not be my cup of tea at night either.
Are there architectural solutions? For example, but not really workable in this case, spaces under some of the bridges in London over the Thames are big enough to have cafes/restaurants next to the walkway. These stay open into the night making for a busier environment.
I'm no architect but I wonder if anyone could come up with workable solutions to the issue?
You mean Avon Street and/or Gas Lane? Or even Kingsland Road as well. I've never heard of anything nasty happening there but they're not exactly pleasant (albeit for other reasons) in the daytime.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 18, 2019, 12:03:31 »

I presume johnneyw is referring to this:

Meanwhile, Bristol City Council have applied (to themselves, of course) for planning permission to install a new 4m wide shared cycle path and pedestrian walkway running for about 450m south-eastwards from the ferry landing stage towards Not Arena Island. Plans are at https://www.bristol.gov.uk/planning-and-building-regulations/look-at-and-track-planning-applications ref 19/01051/LA.

The walkway will consist of pontoons floating in the Floating Harbour, and will pass under the northern end of Temple Meads Station.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 18, 2019, 12:31:27 »

Of course! My misinterpretation of "would" lead me to think he was referring to something that already exists.  Embarrassed

Of course something similar already does exist, alongside the New Cut and under whatever they call the Inner Circuit Road nowadays (Temple Way, I think). And Mrs Bmblbzzz, who used to work nearby, has reported unsettling events there, (under that bridge) though nothing specific (daytime).

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 18, 2019, 12:37:34 »

Yes, it's the equivalent of the urban underpass and all the associated antisocial activities.
Likewise the bridge under Temple Meads at the northern end would not be my cup of tea at night either.
Are there architectural solutions? For example, but not really workable in this case, spaces under some of the bridges in London over the Thames are big enough to have cafes/restaurants next to the walkway. These stay open into the night making for a busier environment.
I'm no architect but I wonder if anyone could come up with workable solutions to the issue?
You mean Avon Street and/or Gas Lane? Or even Kingsland Road as well. I've never heard of anything nasty happening there but they're not exactly pleasant (albeit for other reasons) in the daytime.

Neither the Avon Street Bridge nor the Cattle Market Road underpass would fill me full of joy to walk through at night. 😕  That, though, was just an example I gave.
I was thinking more about what to do about the proposed river walkway when it goes under the railway lines to avoid the sort of antisocial activities that you find in some underpasses especially after dark. Not an easy one that. Good lighting helps but on it's own, tends not to be sufficient and it's not even as if there would be a lot of cars passing either.
Perhaps a wider walking space under the railway? Perhaps a bit of thought into the general look? I'll give a recent example here. On a visit to Portsmouth a fortnight back, I used the underpass beneath the railway at Portsmouth Harbour Station to get to the Gunwharf Quays district. Now, rather than the usual grotty railway underpass, this one was well lit with nicely finished walls and ceiling, predominantly painted white. What struck me was that there was no graffiti, not just a little but absolutely none at all. No litter either.
Now, I admit this wasn't night time and it is a busy concourse but it really was not what I expected to encounter.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 18, 2019, 13:20:24 »

Of course something similar already does exist, alongside the New Cut and under whatever they call the Inner Circuit Road nowadays (Temple Way, I think). And Mrs Bmblbzzz, who used to work nearby, has reported unsettling events there, (under that bridge) though nothing specific (daytime).

<pedant mode>Floating Harbour, not New Cut. And it's been Temple Way since it was built.</pedant mode>

Some people call the area between the footpath under the bridge and the bridge abutment 'home'... quite a sheltered spot, though perhaps not so very much too Hot about three o'clock in the morning...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 18, 2019, 13:53:50 »

<pedant mode>Floating Harbour, not New Cut. And it's been Temple Way since it was built.</pedant mode>

Ah! I know what you mean now. I was trying to recall a footpath under Bath Bridge.

Neither the Avon Street Bridge nor the Cattle Market Road underpass would fill me full of joy to walk through at night. 😕  That, though, was just an example I gave.

Me neither, although I do park my car there occasionally.

I was thinking more about what to do about the proposed river walkway when it goes under the railway lines to avoid the sort of antisocial activities that you find in some underpasses especially after dark. Not an easy one that. Good lighting helps but on it's own, tends not to be sufficient and it's not even as if there would be a lot of cars passing either.
Perhaps a wider walking space under the railway? Perhaps a bit of thought into the general look? I'll give a recent example here. On a visit to Portsmouth a fortnight back, I used the underpass beneath the railway at Portsmouth Harbour Station to get to the Gunwharf Quays district. Now, rather than the usual grotty railway underpass, this one was well lit with nicely finished walls and ceiling, predominantly painted white. What struck me was that there was no graffiti, not just a little but absolutely none at all. No litter either.
Now, I admit this wasn't night time and it is a busy concourse but it really was not what I expected to encounter.

Good lighting is a must. CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) might put an opportunist off, but it's still no good for the victim. An avuncular old copper saying "Mind how you go!" might work, but won't happen.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 18, 2019, 14:20:17 »

An avuncular old copper saying "Mind how you go!" might work...

...or they could perhaps project this, in a loop, onto the underside of the bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sg-2vtu0GE

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 18, 2019, 15:01:02 »

Yes, Floating Harbour, sorry. Silly mistake, especially as I did think about it.

There used to be cave-like sloping sections of mud and rock under the bridge but they've been fenced off for a while, presumably to deter those who call it home (which of course doesn't solve any problem at all, but that's perhaps not for this thread).

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 18, 2019, 19:05:31 »

I was on the Severn Riveria Express for a quick shop in town today but got a bit distracted looking at the demolition work on the former Post Office building next to Temple Meads. The "tower" on the left hand side of both of Red Squirrel's earlier photos was being rapidly pulled apart by the big grabber thingy that they were using. By the time of my return journey from Temple Meads on the 16.35, I can confirm that most of it was gone.

Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 19, 2019, 10:56:44 »

In the absence of anything else much happening at Auld Leakie (aka Temple Meads), I am thrilled to hear that the Pumpkin (Platform 10/12) is to be refurbished and re-branded as a 'Coffee Room'. Full details at https://www.bristol.gov.uk/planning-and-building-regulations/look-at-and-track-planning-applications, search for 19/01075/LA.

Not seen the big exciting addition in the underpass mentioned anywhere yet . . .
Between the ladies and Gents toilets there is now a water machine for drinking water . . . WOW !!

I've been away in Spain, will try to remember to get a pic of the PO building tonight whilst awaiting my service back to Weston
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 19, 2019, 11:05:41 »

Not seen the big exciting addition in the underpass mentioned anywhere yet . . .
Between the ladies and Gents toilets there is now a water machine for drinking water . . . WOW !!

Cannot help wondering where the water for said machine might be coming from Shocked
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 19, 2019, 12:29:02 »

I presume you mean the eastern entrance?

It would be interesting to have a look at the lease that Good and Proper were given for their recently-opened retail unit, which will have to go when the subway is extended.

The timings and details will be subject to negotiations between Network Rail and the University of Bristol. One can imagine that there may be a debate going on as to who pays how much for what...

According to University of Bristol:

After feedback from Bristol City Council and other partners, we submitted a revised masterplan in February 2018. This was unanimously approved subject to final details.

This shows changes to the layout of the buildings to allow easier access through the campus and provide more open and welcoming spaces for staff, students and the public to enjoy.

The main changes are:

Cattle Market Road site

• Three buildings instead of four; two academic and one residential.
  • Siting the main academic building parallel to the harbour to improve opportunities for a vibrant waterfront area.
  • Strengthening the connection to the potential entrance to Temple Meads Station.
  • Re-aligning the pedestrian, cycle and transport links to work with the new layout.

(My bold)

The 'emerging masterplan' will be 'shared for wider consumption' in Spring 2019 - so, soon! The extension to the underpass presumably won't open while the UoB Campus is a building site, so Good and Proper are probably alright for a couple of years...

Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 19, 2019, 13:10:14 »

As you come down the steps from Platforms 3/4 it is just on the right hand side - As long as I am not running for my train I will get a piccy on the way home this evening
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 19, 2019, 13:48:20 »

As you come down the steps from Platforms 3/4 it is just on the right hand side - As long as I am not running for my train I will get a piccy on the way home this evening

Ah, I think we are at angry dolphins here - I'm talking about the extension of the subway, you're talking about the new drinking fountain...

Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 19, 2019, 18:35:26 »

Water fountain
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: