Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:09:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 60
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Temple Meads Station redevelopment  (Read 394891 times)
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: June 27, 2019, 21:20:11 »

Me too I've played a couple of skittle matches there myself. In the 1970s the WLA used to have meetings in the bar ,iirc. That's The Western Locomotive Assocation ,not The Woman's Land Army !.

Whilst I'm here

It would seem that SOS Transport Paid a visit to Temple Meads today see the attached below.

https://www.westofengland-ca.gov.uk/transport-secretary-supports-major-project-to-improve-rail-services-across-the-west-of-england/.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #541 on: June 28, 2019, 05:52:26 »

Quote from: eXPassenger
Quote from: Western Pathfinder
Quote from: Robin Summerhill
Quote from: Western Pathfinder
As well as the exit to the underside of the incline,that comes out below the Station frontage,.
I didn't know about that one - and I used to work there  Grin
It's still used occasionally as a route to busses on rail replacement.
I have used it and it felt as though we were walking all the way to Yatton.  It also needs a good scrub and a coat of paint.
Where's the entrance from the subway then? Under the stairs by the lift to platform 3?
Yes
Confusion seems to reign on this one.

[snip]

Someone's going to love me for so many levels of quoting.   As a picture paints a thousand words, can I try to interpret this ...

* The currently well loved known passenger subway in Cyan
* The subway being described in this conversation in Orange
* Suggestion of an exit to the east side where the PO building used to be in Sickly Green

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 28, 2019, 09:37:39 »

As a picture paints a thousand words ...

If you "go" down Lower Station Approach/Bristol & Exeter Mews via the medium of Google Street View, you can see the locked exit door with its "Rail Replacement Bus Services" sign. If your medium is Google Maps, you can even see how that sign has moved in mysterious ways since 2012. And of course the bricked (stoned?) -up entrance from the forecourt can be visited too.
Phantom
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 28, 2019, 11:09:45 »

Me too I've played a couple of skittle matches there myself. In the 1970s the WLA used to have meetings in the bar ,iirc. That's The Western Locomotive Assocation ,not The Woman's Land Army !.

Whilst I'm here

It would seem that SOS Transport Paid a visit to Temple Meads today see the attached below.

https://www.westofengland-ca.gov.uk/transport-secretary-supports-major-project-to-improve-rail-services-across-the-west-of-england/.

I shiver when I see Chris Grayling involved with anything. Is there such a thing as an anti Midas?
jamestheredengine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 28, 2019, 22:21:41 »

Imagine you have stepped off a service from London via Parkway at TM(resolve) on platform 15 and have climbed down the staircase to the subway and are heading along the subway, past the toilets on the left you come to some 4/5 steps up to a plinthe where you have the option to then turn left for more steps up to platform 4 or right for more steps up to platform 3. If you were to knock a hole in the wall which forms the 4th edge of the plinthe opposite the 4/5 steps you would find a flight of steps which takes you up to another wall which if you knocked a hole in that wall you would find you are out on the station forecourt.

When was this closed? The masonry on the outer wall looks old.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 28, 2019, 22:26:33 »

Imagine you have stepped off a service from London via Parkway at TM(resolve) on platform 15 and have climbed down the staircase to the subway and are heading along the subway, past the toilets on the left you come to some 4/5 steps up to a plinthe where you have the option to then turn left for more steps up to platform 4 or right for more steps up to platform 3. If you were to knock a hole in the wall which forms the 4th edge of the plinthe opposite the 4/5 steps you would find a flight of steps which takes you up to another wall which if you knocked a hole in that wall you would find you are out on the station forecourt.

Got no idea.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 28, 2019, 22:41:54 »

From platform three go down the steps to the underground subway ,and as soon as your feet hit the floor look to your left and there is a blue line on the floor that leads to the passenger lift, walk towards the lift and the doors that lead to the passageway are on your left hand side, it's not a public area inside ,so I will not go into any further details.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 28, 2019, 22:52:30 »

From platform three go down the steps to the underground subway ,and as soon as your feet hit the floor look to your left and there is a blue line on the floor that leads to the passenger lift, walk towards the lift and the doors that lead to the passageway are on your left hand side, it's not a public area inside ,so I will not go into any further details.

It sounds like it might be the concealed entrance to the UK (United Kingdom) U.N.C.L.E  HQ (Headquarters). I'm giving my age away a bit there. 😁
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 28, 2019, 22:55:53 »

Walk into the Taylor's shop and ask for Mr Solo !.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 28, 2019, 22:58:58 »

Walk into the Taylor's shop and ask for Mr Solo !.

Just open Channel D.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 28, 2019, 23:02:57 »

And I am still the proud owner of a Man From UNCLE badge!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 29, 2019, 06:27:42 »

I've been through that way on a couple of occasions, and don't remember signing an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) either time... sadly all I can remember is that it's really scruffy down there, and they advise you not to touch the walls because toilet waste from not-retaining toilets heads that way under gravity.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #552 on: June 29, 2019, 09:31:05 »

Quote from: jamestheredengine
Quote from: martyjon

I have used that route out of the station as a kid, and also the one to Cattle Market Road. They were generally only open IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) at peak traffic periods, by which I don't mean "the peak" in the accepted sense of the term, but when 10 or 12 coach trains from WSM or Weymouth disgorged their hordes of day trippers on weekend evenings during the summer, and all of them were going the same way - out of the station.

I can't give a specific closure date either, but an educated guess would suggest some time c.1962
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 29, 2019, 11:01:45 »

Bristol Temple Meads became a Grade I listed building on 1st Nov 1966 (see here for details: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1282106). Even if, as Robin Summerhill suggests, the entrance was blocked a few years before that date, I think they would have had sufficient sensitivity to use matching stonework.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Rob on the hill

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 29, 2019, 12:38:16 »

The BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) tunnels tours begin from this passage. They are part of the annual Bristol Open Doors Days and the tours are free, but get booked very quickly due to limited spaces and high demand.

From a google search: https://www.flickr.com/photos/newage2/sets/72157624024078970/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 60
  Print  

Jump to: